2013 Land Portion of Itinerary

mdhbeh_11993

DH and I will be traveling to Alaska in 2013 and are kicking around an Itinerary, so far this is my fifth version and think this one has some staying power. Would love and appreciate any feedback.

Background, this will be our 10th cruise, we are loyal to Royal and this will be our second trip to Alaska. We went in 2009 and due to the economy only did a pre-cruise tour of Seward and Resurrection Bay, which happened to be one of our best days of the trip.

Friday

Get earliest flight Friday morning, arrive Anchorage 2 - 3, pick up rental car start heading north. *Stop in Wal-mart in Wasilla for supplies, overnight in Talkeetna

Other option would be to stay in Anchorage, since we will be up early Saturday anyway and then head north.

- Reserve rental car in July 2012 for 2013 as it will be cheaper.

Saturday*

- Possibly look for a flightseeing tour in Talkeetna for morning

- Look for tour in Denali for late afternoon, ATV, Jeep, float etc...

Overnight in Denali

Sunday

Take the 6:15 a.m. shuttle to Eielson, purchase transfer to Wonder Lake if mountain is out

Overnight in Denali

Monday

Leisurely drive back to Anchorage, either stay the next three nights in Anchorage or stay one in Girdwood and two in Anchorage. Only reason to stay in Anchorage three nights is to not have to deal with checking in and checking out of multiple hotels.

Tuesday

Drive Kenai

Beluga Point, Windy Point, Wilderness Conservation Center etc...

Return car or hold car and drive to Whittier Wednesday and return Wed. night

Wednesday

If we ditch the car, have Major Marine pick us up for Surprise Glacier tour and return to Anchorage*

Thursday

Train to Seward

Major Marine -Kenai Fjords 6 hour Tour

Overnight in Seward*

Friday

Exit Glacier

Walk the town

Board Ship

We are undecided on whether to keep the car an extra day and drive to Whittier ourselves, it looks like we can get a special to have Major Marine pick us up and return us to our Hotel in Anchorage.

Again any advice appreciated.

I would keep the itinerary open and not worry about firm plans at this point. It is bound to change more. Especially with that bulk of "Anchorage" time???? Why not look at Fairbanks, Homer, Valdez??

For me, I give NO issue to moving about Alaska and changing lodging. Not sure why it's such a big deal to some? But, I don't bother bringing in heavy bags and instead have a little go bag, with my one day supply. I just change over items from the bag left in the trunk. In Alaska, being on the move is "necessary" if you wish to see the most.

With a Wittier day trip, I would definately keep the car.

It also isn't "July" with the low rates. Last year they were for maybe two weeks in Sept?

Another thought with car rentals, rates for 5-7 days are usually the same with a weekly rate. Compare costs and take advantage of the best deals.

Looks like you did your homework and put together a nice itinerary! As BQ said you've still got time to play with it. I agree with her about not staying in Anc. On Monday, drive an hr further to overnight in Girdwood instead. Hold onto the car and do the PWS cruise while staying in Girdwood. Having the car would give you more time and opportunity to explore the Girdwood area.

I reserved my car on Aug 28 last yr during the Enterprise special. In 2010 it was in July. I started watching their site weekly in June; I couldn't afford to miss those prices.

Archived