Question about non-ship booked tours

Solorca1

Good morning everyone,

For the first time in our many years of cruising, we've decided to abandon the tour ship's excursions and random rides with taxi's, in favor of booking tours through the recommended guides on Cruise Critic's forums.

We have all tours booked at this point...

Antigua - Gordon

St. Lucia - Cosol Tours

St. Thomas - Sunny Liston Tours

All of the tours look great, but we didn't realize when booking that the times they listed for us to meet them was island time (in this case, they are an hour ahead of ship time). As such, most of our tours begin 20-30 minutes after the scheduled docking time for Princess.

For those of you that book these non-ship excursions, have you ever had a problem getting of the ship with these early times? I know on other ships in the past, the line of disembark has sometimes been extremely long, so I am worried that we might miss our meeting times.

I assume that Princess will not allow you early debarkation like they do with their cruise booked excursions, but is there an easy way to ensure you're off the ship with the first group, other than waking up three hours early and standing in line (that would certainly take the fun out of the night time hours of the ship)?

Hi There,

ship will be on island time, so long as it is not a tender port you will have no problems getting of early, so long as the ship is on time.

yours shogun

The ship is on island time? From everything I've read, the ship runs on EST only? How does that work when you have different time zones on your ship? For instance, all of our stops are one hour ahead of east coast time, with the exception of Grand Turk. So, do they switch all of the times on the ship when you actually travel across the timezone lines?

Hi There,

Ship moves time, often on a sea day to bring you into line with island time,

however have done cruises were clocks were moving forward and back, almost every other day.

if you do a TA you could get five days in a row of time changes.

If not on island time ship will give you plenty of notice, main reason to keep to island time is not to lose passengers.

yours Shogun

They change times on the ship according to where they are. You will have a little card on your bed at night that will tell you to set clocks back/forward during the night. (doesn't mean some people don't forget and are late/early the next day!) :D

Sonny and the others have been doing this for years. They are laid back and will wait for folks for some amount of time. They have made their money by giving a fun day to cruise passengers. They are not drill sargents.

Funny thing is that when is started cruising I would always be at least 15 minutes early for things as that is the way I am at home. But cruising is about relaxing. Now on time when I cruise is being there at the time they say, NOT early! But I'm still always 15 early at home. :cool:

solorcal1...i read an emerald princess review and the passenger said that the clocks were turned one hour ahead after leaving ft lauderdale since the rest of the cruise would be on atlantic time, which is one hour ahead of eastern time. i would think this makes it easier for everyone on board and there is only the need to turn the clocks ahead once and backwards once.

cheers

Good morning everyone,

For the first time in our many years of cruising, we've decided to abandon the tour ship's excursions and random rides with taxi's, in favor of booking tours through the recommended guides on Cruise Critic's forums.

We have all tours booked at this point...

Antigua - Gordon

St. Lucia - Cosol Tours

St. Thomas - Sunny Liston Tours

All of the tours look great, but we didn't realize when booking that the times they listed for us to meet them was island time (in this case, they are an hour ahead of ship time). As such, most of our tours begin 20-30 minutes after the scheduled docking time for Princess.

For those of you that book these non-ship excursions, have you ever had a problem getting of the ship with these early times? I know on other ships in the past, the line of disembark has sometimes been extremely long, so I am worried that we might miss our meeting times.

I assume that Princess will not allow you early debarkation like they do with their cruise booked excursions, but is there an easy way to ensure you're off the ship with the first group, other than waking up three hours early and standing in line (that would certainly take the fun out of the night time hours of the ship)?

we used Gordons last year he was FANTASTIC just tell Gordon what time your ship will be docking in Antiqua I beleive that we got off the ship and met up with him around 9:30

Whenever you use a well referred travel company, be assured they know your ship's schedule. They will give you all details re where, when, how to meet them. You will experience a big advantage to the ship booked excursions. Have a great time.

Anytime you have to change your clocks you will be told. Don't let any of that worry you.;)

The tour company will be aware of the time both on land and on your ship (if different). They are also aware that it takes time for passengers to get off the ship once it is cleared by the local authorities. They will wait

I agree with Paul. They will wait for you unless you really lag getting off the ship. It's in the best interest of these private tour guides to understand how long it takes passengers to disembark ships. Satisfying cruise ship passengers is crucial to their livelihood.

Archived