Harv & Marv vs. Allen Marine in Juneau

wailea4me

I'm looking for a whale watch cruise in Juneau and read many good comments about both of these companies. The difference appears to be in the size of boat. I got seasick once in Hawaii on a deep sea fishing trip so am a little leary of the smaller boats. Is there any advantage to the small boats of Harv&Marv over the larger catamarans of Allen Marine. Do you get to see more wildlife in a smaller boat?

We did a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv's last year and really enjoyed it. We found a pod of Orca's that swam all around (and under) the boat. Several of them breached. We also saw breaching humpbacks.

The boat is small but that's what we like. We were on their newest boat that seats up to 12 and the seats were spring loaded which was great. We're booked again this August and will be taking one of the 6 person boats.

They also took us by an island that was covered in sea lions.

We have never found seasickness to be a problem because you don't go out into the open ocean. I do occasionally get queasy on the cruise ship so I do know what it feels like! We live in Washington state and it's like taking a boat out in the Puget Sound, not a lot of rolling wave action because there is land all around you.

Have a great time on your cruise!

WE did Harv and Marv 2 years ago and the small boats are great. The big difference would have to be the personal touch you get with Harv and Marv. You are treated as a friend not just a customer. They were the best tour we've ever taken. If we get back to Alaska they'll be the one tour we do again.

framer

Archived