Sending letters

BusyFLmom

Yes...I know it's rarely done anymore:rolleyes: But my son left last week for basic training. I know once we can start sending him letters....he will be looking forward to it weekly. That means I cant stop the week of our cruise. Im just wondering how difficult it will be to mail a letter to him from the ship :confused: Will I have to search for a post office while in port?

You can mail it right from the ship, they have a mail slot close to the GUEST SERVICES desk

At most of the ports there is a post office inside the terminal.

It can take weeks and at times over a month for the letter to arrive from some ports.

Oh NO!!! That's not good. Well at least I have the capability using the mail slot at guest services. Thank you for the informaton.

If you use the mail slot or Guest Services on the ship you will use US postage and it will be mailed from the ships home port. If you mail from any foreign port you will need to mail it in port yourself with that countries postage.

Please thank your son for his service for me !

Someone we sailed with a few years ago did some postcards from various ports, dropped them in the slot on board and their family/friends got the postcards a month later and all postmarked in California.

I was B2B on a ship and did my Christmas cards week one and put them in the mail slot at guest services the last sea day of week one thinking they would be mailed the next day when we were back in port. They weren't mailed until the end of week two. So best to ask guest services when the mail will be taken.

The ships don't mail any of the mail deposited in their mailboxes until they get back to home port. As someone above mentioned, the mail would have to have the island's postage stamp on it before it could be mailed there.

The only time we tried it, we were home for three weeks before the postcards arrived.

If you like sending your son a letter every day, would it be possible to write several letters ahead of time and have somebody at home mail them daily for you?

Since you will be in Cayman, you can take one of the tours that includes going to Hell. You can get a post card and send him a card from hell. You purchase the stamp there and put it in one of their mail boxes. I'm sure you can mail a regular letter as well.

You can also get your passport stamped with a little devil that says from hell.:)

I think it took around a week for the people we mailed them to, to get them in the US.

Archived