It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

I believe the key here is 'unless it's a formal function.' That applies to the MDR on Formal Night. Case closed!

Would that it were closed. All you have to do is go to the MDR on Formal Nights and look around to see that it is not. Invariably there will be people seated and eating who are most certainly not in at least coats and ties with cocktail attire for the ladies......

A rule without enforcement is no rule at all.

Fully understand your response and reasons. Enjoy your trains and buses. Not my cup of tea.

Appreciate the response, OXO--it takes all kinds to make the world a happy place. There are lots of choices for travel--including cruise lines with no formal dress codes--In choosing Celebrity, knowing what its policies were, we are prepared to eat somewhere besides the MDR on formal nights.

Seems fair to me for us each to be as we be.

I am ok as long as it doesnt degrade to the way people are dresing to shop at Walmart

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DghrDIQ-K8mg%26feature%3Dshare&feature=share&v=ghrDIQ-K8mg&gl=US

LOL :eek:

After driving half an hour to walmart in order to save a dollar on chinese garbage, they did not let me in, because I was wearing a tux.:eek:

Would that it were closed. All you have to do is go to the MDR on Formal Nights and look around to see that it is not. Invariably there will be people seated and eating who are most certainly not in at least coats and ties with cocktail attire for the ladies......

A rule without enforcement is no rule at all.

Totally agree with your comments. We have seen people not properly dressed (formal) on our last 2 X cruises. We enjoy dressing up. Yes, we fly to Europe/Med/SEA/Pacific and pay for an extra bag. That is part of cruising, dressing up not down. Even when we do a 7 day cruise, we take formal clothes and dress up.

My four kids were all very excited about dressing up for formal night two years ago. My oldest daughter has lots of nice dresses (handed down from her cousin) but not many places to wear them at home.

Two years later, they are still excited about dressing up -- teen-age status not withstanding. My 18-year-old son even asked for a new blazer! He's not getting it, but it was nice that he asked! My two sons go to private school, and wearing a tie every day is mandatory, and they often need to wear a blazer as well. While they do like to get into jeans or shorts when they get home, they certainly don't complain about getting dressed up because they know it is expected of them. It's the rule.

People are much more casual this day in age. Men many times will wear a pair of expensive jeans with a sports coat, unless its a formal function or a upscale restaurant.

I really think it depends.

IMHO the problem isn't the move toward casual but rather some folk's interpretation of casual as anything goes, including beachwear and backyard sloppy. There is a difference but far too many people just don't have a clue.

Does anyone remember the two piece silk outfits that were so popular during the eighties? The skirt and blouse were the same pattern and they looked like a dress when worn together. They would be great for a cruise if that trend came back because they were so pretty, as well as very light weight for packing.

I always had a number of them at the time because they were appropriate for work, as well as the theater and dinner at a nice restaurant.

OK--I am new to Celebrity so I actually read the brochure and I now see why there is so much contention on this topic. When dress is not formal--Celebrity requires only that people wear pants without holes or rips. They do not state or even suggest that denim and athletic shoes are not appropriate. In fact, the way this is written, people can maintain that that unripped flannel pants or work out wear are within the code.

The last three cruises I've been on were with Windstar and Oceania which do not have formal nights, but do have dress codes--denim and athletic wear is specifically not OK in the evenings. I call their standard "Country Club Casual"--it's like a nice golf course. But Celebrity, leaves the definition more at "Street Casual"--

I had been picturing a more formal atmosphere than Windstar, but I am kind of adjusting my image. --We'll dress as we have for other cruises, but I don't expect we'll be the most casual folks about.

OK--I am new to Celebrity so I actually read the brochure and I now see why there is so much contention on this topic. When dress is not formal--Celebrity requires only that people wear pants without holes or rips. They do not state or even suggest that denim and athletic shoes are not appropriate. In fact, the way this is written, people can maintain that that unripped flannel pants or work out wear are within the code.

The last three cruises I've been on were with Windstar and Oceania which do not have formal nights, but do have dress codes--denim and athletic wear is specifically not OK in the evenings. I call their standard "Country Club Casual"--it's like a nice golf course. But Celebrity, leaves the definition more at "Street Casual"--

I had been picturing a more formal atmosphere than Windstar, but I am kind of adjusting my image. --We'll dress as we have for other cruises, but I don't expect we'll be the most casual folks about.

Celebrity is quite explicit that the minimum evening dress code is "Smart Casual and Above".

Sorry, have to disagree. X does not leave the definition of Smart Casual as Street Casual, as you suggest. We're talking about adults who should be able to exercise a little common sense. Don't think anyone needs to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand that Smart Casual is clearly not street casual or that flannel pants and workout wear are not acceptable. Those who don't respect the dress code fail to do so not because they don't understand but rather because they don't care and/or simply choose not to. JMHO.

Sorry, have to disagree. X does not leave the definition of Smart Casual as Street Casual, as you suggest. We're talking about adults who should be able to exercise a little common sense. Don't think anyone needs to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand that Smart Casual is clearly not street casual or that flannel pants and workout wear are not acceptable. Those who don't respect the dress code fail to do so not because they don't understand but rather because they don't care and/or simply choose not to. JMHO.

It seems to me that in the last ten years or so there has been a real change in attitudes generally and this "ubercasual" approach to everything is going to drive me to drink.

I am currently organizing a large function to which a lot of twenty-and-thirtysomethings have been invited. We have asked them to RSVP by text or email. Nothing was coming back to us from that age group, so I asked one of our younger organizers what was up.

"Oh", he says, "My age group doesn't RSVP. We like to be spontaneous...we like to keep our options open" ???? :eek::eek::eek:

We reserve the right to dress up accordingly and actually enjoy it. Then we also enjoy talking about those who don't as they talk about us dressing up ;-)

“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

― Mr. Bennett, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

It seems to me that in the last ten years or so there has been a real change in attitudes generally and this "ubercasual" approach to everything is going to drive me to drink.

I am currently organizing a large function to which a lot of twenty-and-thirtysomethings have been invited. We have asked them to RSVP by text or email. Nothing was coming back to us from that age group, so I asked one of our younger organizers what was up.

"Oh", he says, "My age group doesn't RSVP. We like to be spontaneous...we like to keep our options open" ???? :eek::eek::eek:

Waterlilly, a lot of people in that age group use a website called Evite to send out invitations with options, yes, no, and maybe.

I looks like common courtesy has gone the way of personal responsibility. On my last Celebrity Millennium cruise, on one formal night, there was a table for six, all men, dressed in jeans, t-shirts, and ball caps, quite loud and making it rather unenjoyable for the patrons at nearby tables. I commented to the assistant maitre'd, and he replied that the particular party were "friends of Celebrity"-- but without explanation.

Papa, interestingly enough, this meeting last week where people were dressed better than a few years ago was held at a hotel in Georgia (Atlanta).

Those folk in Georgia have always been behind the times!!!:)

The only constant is change.:D

Please don't misunderstand me on this--I'm not supporting the less formal interpretation--what I am saying is that Celebrity's literature is not as specific as it could be and as I have seen on other ships. But you may be correct in your opinion that they just don't care.

Please don't misunderstand me on this--I'm not supporting the less formal interpretation--what I am saying is that Celebrity's literature is not as specific as it could be and as I have seen on other ships. But you may be correct in your opinion that they just don't care.

I don't think it's fair to shift the blame to X for failing to be more specific in its literature. After all, we're not talking brain surgery or rocket science. Anyone just browsing through X's literature should get the hint just from the pictures! Adults should have enough smarts to know evening dress on a premium cruise line is not the same as at a Campgrounds of America site. Considering most pax successfully pull off some semblance of Smart Casual, the rest should be able to do likewise - no excuses. The problem is isn't ignorance; it's arrogance. JMHO.

We were on the MIL for 25 days and could see the change in dress code in this short period. For example, at the Captain's Club party, held at 2:30 in the afternoon, we saw men in shorts being turned away at the door by Lionel, the CC host, during the 5 night Feb.6 sailing. Then during the next two cruises, another 5 nighter and a 4 nighter, the CC party was poorly attended. The weather was perfect for pool time and many pax did not want to leave to dress-up.

On the 5 night Feb 25, Michael, Arno's favorite CDer's staff member, was allowing men wearing shorts, bathing suits and baseball caps into the room. When I asked Lionel, if the dress code had changed (it still said no shorts on the door sign) he emphatically said no! When I pointed out the bathing suit man, he rushed over to ask him to leave but said nothing to all the shorts. I did not care but am always curious when I see a change in protocol and will investigate. Most interesting, Dr Watson.

They also allowed many flip-flops and open toe sandles on the heliocopter pad during the sailaway on the Feb.20. This was not allowed on Feb 11. They are going into the spring-break season and, maybe, they feel it will cause more trouble to enforce the rules than to make exceptions. But when it comes to safety, I think they have gone too far.

We were on the MIL for 25 days and could see the change in dress code in this short period. For example, at the Captain's Club party, held at 2:30 in the afternoon, we saw men in shorts being turned away at the door by Lionel, the CC host, during the 5 night Feb.6 sailing. Then during the next two cruises, another 5 nighter and a 4 nighter, the CC party was poorly attended. The weather was perfect for pool time and many pax did not want to leave to dress-up.

On the 5 night Feb 25, Michael, Arno's favorite CDer's staff member, was allowing men wearing shorts, bathing suits and baseball caps into the room. When I asked Lionel, if the dress code had changed (it still said no shorts on the door sign) he emphatically said no! When I pointed out the bathing suit man, he rushed over to ask him to leave but said nothing to all the shorts. I did not care but am always curious when I see a change in protocol and will investigate. Most interesting, Dr Watson.

They also allowed many flip-flops and open toe sandles on the heliocopter pad during the sailaway on the Feb.20. This was not allowed on Feb 11. They are going into the spring-break season and, maybe, they feel it will cause more trouble to enforce the rules than to make exceptions. But when it comes to safety, I think they have gone too far.

I think what you saw wasn't so much the result of change but rather an overall inconsistency not only from ship to ship but from cruise to cruise on the same ship.

I don't think it's fair to shift the blame to X for failing to be more specific in its literature. After all, we're not talking brain surgery or rocket science. Anyone just browsing through X's literature should get the hint just from the pictures! Adults should have enough smarts to know evening dress on a premium cruise line is not the same as at a Campgrounds of America site. Considering most pax successfully pull off some semblance of Smart Casual, the rest should be able to do likewise - no excuses. The problem is isn't ignorance; it's arrogance. JMHO.

This is my last post on this--since there is no way to satisfy anyone here. But consider--if people become properly aware via browsing the pictures etc. why in the world would X need to state in the description of Smart Casual that clothing should not be ripped or torn and that swim wear is not appropriate in the dining room?

I appreciate where you are coming from and I expect you don't own ripped designer jeans or $250 basketball shoes--but some people do.

Many posters here seem to assume that everyone reading the literature is coming at it with the same frame of reference and with the same items in their closet and then are unhappy or disapproving when some decisions on attire don't meet expectations. My only point is that if the standard of various posters here is indeed X's standard X could state that. As it is I judge X's Smart Casual to be somewhat less dressy than certain other ships which are specific about jeans and denim.

That's all, folks.

I'd like to respond to various posts about not understanding the dress code.

A few months ago someone posted that they don't even own a suit and I asked that poster what would they do if they had to go to a funeral. To my surprise they said that where they live men haven't worn suits to a funeral in years, and many other posters agreed with him. However, where we live men still wear suits to a funeral, with the exception of a graveyard service.

If I receive an invitation to a wedding that doesn't specify black tie or black tie optional, I assume the minimum dress code is a cocktail dress for a woman/suit for a man. So I was shocked to receive an invitation to a Saturday night wedding at an upscale hotel that specified "no jeans". My friend, who was the mother of the bride, told me that if they didn't put that in their wedding invitation some people would have probably showed up in jeans.

So by having such a diversified passenger base, I can easily understand why not every passenger would have the same interpretation of the wording on a Celebrity dress code.

Is somebody interpreted as casually dressing on a formal night, if they are wearing a dress shirt and tie with no jacket?

I for example wear suits and jackets with nice slacks almost everyday, because of my profession. I don't get a major thrill out of dressing up. However I realize its importance and appreciate a formal affair. Plus its a pain in the wazoo to pack a jacket or suit for a cruise. Again, not saying I wouldn't.

If I were to wear just a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt and tie, is that dressing casual on formal night.

Would I be offending people if I just dressed in a shirt and tie?

I'd like to respond to various posts about not understanding the dress code.

A few months ago someone posted that they don't even own a suit and I asked that poster what would they do if they had to go to a funeral. To my surprise they said that where they live men haven't worn suits to a funeral in years, and many other posters agreed with him. However, where we live men still wear suits to a funeral, with the exception of a graveyard service.

If I receive an invitation to a wedding that doesn't specify black tie or black tie optional, I assume the minimum dress code is a cocktail dress for a woman/suit for a man. So I was shocked to receive an invitation to a Saturday night wedding at an upscale hotel that specified "no jeans". My friend, who was the mother of the bride, told me that if they didn't put that in their wedding invitation some people would have probably showed up in jeans.

So by having such a diversified passenger base, I can easily understand why not every passenger would have the same interpretation of the wording on a Celebrity dress code.

Waterlily and Bridge Maven:. These two examples certainly explain a lot of things and shows what Celebrity is up against..... but I really think it's a shame that society has come to this.. (I blame permissive parents, abhorrent celebrity role models, and WAY too much technology nowadays...... but that's a whole different argument.. :) )

- Rick

Archived