It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

My husband and I just came back from an annual scientific convention that I have been going to with him since the middle seventies. When I first started to go to these meetings people were always dressed in suits, but a few years ago many were wearing jeans. At this meeting, however, I was surprised to see a significant number wearing either a suit or sports jacket with a tie, while women were similarly dressed up.

While it was not the level of dress from years ago, it was somewhere between that and the way they dressed a few years ago. I've also noticed this same trend when we dine out lately at a good restaurant.

Do you think that maybe the tides are turning and this will have an affect on the way people dress on a cruise?

My husband and I just came back from an annual scientific convention that I have been going to with him since the middle seventies. When I first started to go to these meetings people were always dressed in suits, but a few years ago many were wearing jeans. At this meeting, however, I was surprised to see a significant number were wearing either a suit or sports jacket with a tie, while women were similarly dressed up.

While it was not the level of dress from years ago, it was somewhere between that and the way they dressed a few years ago. I've also noticed this same trend when we dine out lately at a good restaurant.

Do you think that maybe the tides are turning and this will have an affect on the way people dress on a cruise?

I agree with your observation. The tide has already turned on shorter cruises. Many open shirts and even some tees on formal night. When I asked about the dress code I was told that it was just too difficult to enforce on short cruises. Also Celebrity seems to be attempting to attract a younger, less travelled customer (got into hot water for this on another thread). They tend to be less formal than my demographic.

Hopefully a reasonable policy based on some new realities emerges.

I'd be ok with a reasonable dress code - frankly I am Ok with the dress code in Blu right now - smart casual every night... vacation, for me, is not about being uncomfortable - but I don't want the keg party atmosphere either.... I think X is striking the right balance....

Whatever the policy is or might be, it should be enforced in the same manner throughout the fleet. Current enforcement tends to vary from ship to ship and sometimes cruise to cruise. This only creates confusion and misunderstanding.

My husband and I just came back from an annual scientific convention that I have been going to with him since the middle seventies. When I first started to go to these meetings people were always dressed in suits, but a few years ago many were wearing jeans. At this meeting, however, I was surprised to see a significant number wearing either a suit or sports jacket with a tie, while women were similarly dressed up.

I don't see the trend away from the grunge look these days. Here in South Georgia, it largely depends on the quality of the restaurant and whether or not it is tourist season. In my opinion, people can still dress casual and have a good appearance, yet there are still people that think jeans with holes in them ore rips at the knees are cool. Also, not shaving for three days is cool to some people.

On cruises, I find most people dress appropriately, not just on X.

I don't see the trend away from the grunge look these days. Here in South Georgia, it largely depends on the quality of the restaurant and whether or not it is tourist season. In my opinion, people can still dress casual and have a good appearance, yet there are still people that think jeans with holes in them ore rips at the knees are cool. Also, not shaving for three days is cool to some people.

On cruises, I find most people dress appropriately, not just on X.

Papa, interestingly enough, this meeting last week where people were dressed better than a few years ago was held at a hotel in Georgia (Atlanta).

Whatever the policy is or might be, it should be enforced in the same manner throughout the fleet. Current enforcement tends to vary from ship to ship and sometimes cruise to cruise. This only creates confusion and misunderstanding.

Totally agree. The cruise lines are at fault because they are not consistent from ship to ship. Some people say it is the Captain/Hostess/etc., who make the rules on a ship. That is totally wrong.

The cruise lines should make the rules and have them enforced on all their ships.

Too many problems with dress, pools, chairs,etc.

JMHO!

I really believe the tide has actually turned.

You should see the difference in government offices today as opposed to 20 years ago. I still wear a skirt/dress slacks every day, but I am the minority....very small minority I might add. It no longer surprises me when I see flip flops in the office....and not even on a Casual Friday!

So...for everyone growing up in the households of the generation today, just wait and see what it will look like in 20 years in a cruise ship.

You may be REQUIRED to wear your baseball cap backwards to gain entry into a venue!

:-)

I really believe the tide has actually turned.

You should see the difference in government offices today as opposed to 20 years ago. I still wear a skirt/dress slacks every day, but I am the minority....very small minority I might add. It no longer surprises me when I see flip flops in the office....and not even on a Casual Friday!

So...for everyone growing up in the households of the generation today, just wait and see what it will look like in 20 years in a cruise ship.

You may be REQUIRED to wear your baseball cap backwards to gain entry into a venue!

:-)

I feel very certain the same could be said of any generation - when me quit wearing wigs in the 18th century, that was considered casual - same with hats in the mid 20th century.... women no longer wear long dresses with corsets or hats... all of this is more casual....

No - i don't want a completely casual experience - but I will say that X is understanding the times and developing new demographic markets - as it has to do to stay in business....

Bridge Maven, I agree with regarding dress trends. We were in San Francisco this past week for dinner at a very well rated, upscale restaurant, and the patrons were very well dressed. Granted, it is a large metropolitan city, but it was nice to the patrons have respect for the venue.

I'd be ok with a reasonable dress code - frankly I am Ok with the dress code in Blu right now - smart casual every night... vacation, for me, is not about being uncomfortable - but I don't want the keg party atmosphere either.... I think X is striking the right balance....

I completely agree!

I also think the trend is back to nicer dressing. All we have to do is look at the celebrities in the magazines. A few years ago it was all jeans everywhere they went. Now they are dressing up.

Young people where we live are also dressing much better than just a short time ago. I've noticed a better dressed crowd when we go out.

Some young people who are trying to get a good job in this poor economy have learned that dressing nicely makes them look more suited (pun intended) for a job and/or promotion. Also, some colleges, law schools, and even 2 year business colleges are stressing this. We were taught years ago to dress for the job you hope to rise to. In other words a bank teller should dress for the executive job she hopes to get. Still makes sense to me.

Bridge Maven, I agree with regarding dress trends. We were in San Francisco this past week for dinner at a very well rated, upscale restaurant, and the patrons were very well dressed. Granted, it is a large metropolitan city, but it was nice to the patrons have respect for the venue.

Karynanne, I could not agree with you more! There is a time and place for shorts and flip flops (the beach) and for being dressed up (formal nights at cruise ships and weddings and the like). People who don't feel like dressing up for formal nights can dine in other venues than the MDR. Simple.:D

People are much more casual this day in age. Men many times will wear a pair of expensive jeans with a sports coat, unless its a formal function or a upscale restaurant.

I really think it depends.

I believe the key here is 'unless it's a formal function.' That applies to the MDR on Formal Night. Case closed!

Karynanne, I could not agree with you more! There is a time and place for shorts and flip flops (the beach) and for being dressed up (formal nights at cruise ships and weddings and the like). People who don't feel like dressing up for formal nights can dine in other venues than the MDR. Simple.:D

We are attending a Black-tie Wedding this weekend, and we wouldn't think of dressing in anything less than the invitation requested. It would be disrespectful.

I don't think we're in era of casual dressing, for all occasions and venues. There are still people that enjoy the atmosphere and sense of excitement, that you get from dressing in a gown and tux.

We are attending a Black-tie Wedding this weekend, and we wouldn't think of dressing in anything less than the invitation requested. It would be disrespectful.

I don't think we're in era of casual dressing, for all occasions and venues. There are still people that enjoy the atmosphere and sense of excitement, that you get from dressing in a gown and tux.

Karynanne, I agree that it would be disrespectful for anyone not to comply with the dress code for a wedding.

Not as long as people fly to the port and have to put up with baggage restrictions.

I think some of this depends on where you live--in funky "Portlandia" Oregon the patrons at the Opera are in anything from denim to ball gowns and furs. I agree that dresses for women are somewhat back in style and hats and suits for men somewhat the same, but there is still a casual feel to it all--more like costuming than a mode of dress --lots of women under 40 do not own and will never wear pantyhose, for example.

My complaint regarding formal nights on cruises is that it clashes with my devotion to travelling light--formal wear means additional shoes for men in addition to the jackets. Why does this style of dress, in contrast to resort casual, add so much to the experience for some of you??

What baggage restrictions? A second bag to Europe is $50.

It is not cost or "restrictions" that cause me to prefer travelling light--it is agility. I like to use trains and buses to travel to pre- and post cruise

locations, which is no fun with extra bags. In addition, I don't need to wait to have someone help me with luggage, I can fit into small elevators and even take the stairs if I want to and if my connecting flights get all fouled up, the airline will put me on alternate flights as long as I haven't checked any luggage.

The only trips that are difficult to manage with carry-ons only are cruises that demand formal attire.

It is not cost or "restrictions" that cause me to prefer travelling light--it is agility. I like to use trains and buses to travel to pre- and post cruise

locations, which is no fun with extra bags. In addition, I don't need to wait to have someone help me with luggage, I can fit into small elevators and even take the stairs if I want to and if my connecting flights get all fouled up, the airline will put me on alternate flights as long as I haven't checked any luggage.

The only trips that are difficult to manage with carry-ons only are cruises that demand formal attire.

Fully understand your response and reasons. Enjoy your trains and buses. Not my cup of tea.

Archived