It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

My husband and I just came back from an annual scientific convention that I have been going to with him since the middle seventies. When I first started to go to these meetings people were always dressed in suits, but a few years ago many were wearing jeans. At this meeting, however, I was surprised to see a significant number wearing either a suit or sports jacket with a tie, while women were similarly dressed up.

While it was not the level of dress from years ago, it was somewhere between that and the way they dressed a few years ago. I've also noticed this same trend when we dine out lately at a good restaurant.

Do you think that maybe the tides are turning and this will have an affect on the way people dress on a cruise?

I agree with the OP that men and women of all ages, but especially the younger set, are dressing better and more formally these days. Whether its the bad economy, the popularity of "Mad Men" and other retro shows, or just chino fatigue, the folks I know in their 20's and 30's are dressing up.

I live in the SF Bay area and I see women in silk dresses and men in shined Shoes, pressed jackets and cotton shirts when I go out. Men in my profession (financial services) are wearing suits and ties not only for meetings but just to the office.

Unfortunately the older folks in their 40s and 50s are still stuck in a sloppy, jeans and chinos, t shirt or polo shirt, mindset. For a whole generation those folks were happy to thumb their nose at dress codes. Now their children are "rebelling" by pulling out the grown up clothes. Ah justice!

:rolleyes:

I suppose this sloopyness startet in the mid seventees, early eightys, if I remember right. When I see all those young people wearing nothing but sneakers, often without shoelaces. Well maybe I am growing old. LOL. Every generations had their dress preferences- that chances on an on.

Well I agree with the poster who does just not take the time to be bothered by other people´s dress styles, anyway there is certain festvity if many, all, or a lot of people do dress nicely in the MDR. No question about it.

Michael

I agree with the OP that men and women of all ages, but especially the younger set, are dressing better and more formally these days. Whether its the bad economy, the popularity of "Mad Men" and other retro shows, or just chino fatigue, the folks I know in their 20's and 30's are dressing up.

I live in the SF Bay area and I see women in silk dresses and men in shined Shoes, pressed jackets and cotton shirts when I go out. Men in my profession (financial services) are wearing suits and ties not only for meetings but just to the office.

Unfortunately the older folks in their 40s and 50s are still stuck in a sloppy, jeans and chinos, t shirt or polo shirt, mindset. For a whole generation those folks were happy to thumb their nose at dress codes. Now their children are "rebelling" by pulling out the grown up clothes. Ah justice!

:rolleyes:

What's so funny is that for so many here the argument for not dressing for Formal Night is that the world has changed and people don't do that any more when the truth is that they haven't been paying attention to the fact that the pendulum has been swinging back and they are the ones who are out of touch with today.;)

What's so funny is that for so many here the argument for not dressing for Formal Night is that the world has changed and people don't do that any more when the truth is that they haven't been paying attention to the fact that the pendulum has been swinging back and they are the ones who are out of touch with today.;)

I'll agree with you to a degree. Have you noticed the only ones you see on cruises with baseball hats on, forward or backward, are older guys. My guess is they think it makes them appear young, hip and cool, not. It's a has been look. Clearly, the fashion industry is having an impact on current dress, the sixties styles are in which means dressy up a bit more as in Mad Men. Thanks to Sex and The City, stilettos are popular (and ruining women's feet). At the same time, the unshaved look is popular. Tuxes and dinner jackets haven't exactly made a big come back, but who knows. Next year's big fad the fashion gurus may be pushing is formal dress. Stay tuned.;):D

With all the comments about the way others dress to attend formal nights in the MDRs, a very important point has been overlooked. THEY WOULD NOT BE THERE IF THE CRUISE LINE DID NOT APPROVE OF THE WAY THEY ARE DRESSED.

The opinions expressed on this board are simply that --- opinions.

The cruise line determines what they will accept, and since all businesses are dollar driven, they will adjust their procedures to gain market share.

Young people where we live are also dressing much better than just a short time ago. I've noticed a better dressed crowd when we go out.

Oh yes, the boxer shorts showing above their baggy jeans, :rolleyes: but at least still covering their oh-so-much-more sophisticated glutes, :eek: are of a far higher quality.:cool: Not to mention the stunningly stylish tattoos and multiple body piercings! :p Definite signs of increasingly high standards.:D

Any of them.

I have done that. What is the purpose of your post ??? Due to the nature of your post, I am curious what you know about my cruise history or why you want to know. I consider personal information just that ---- PERSONAL.

The application of the dress codes by cruise lines is interesting. Personal information is not !!

Our history is obvious because all our posts are here to be seen. Before I take someone seriously, I like to see what experience they have. I wouldn't think of giving advice on something I have little or no experience with. If I want some advice on cruising to the Carribbean or Mexico on NCL or Princess, you'd be a great source of info. Celebrity...not so much.

Our history is obvious because all our posts are here to be seen. Before I take someone seriously, I like to see what experience they have. I wouldn't think of giving advice on something I have little or no experience with. If I want some advice on cruising to the Carribbean or Mexico on NCL or Princess, you'd be a great source of info. Celebrity...not so much.

So --- You are trying to say if I don't post on CC I don't cruise ??

Besides being off topic, my personal cruising history is of no concern. The subject is dress code application by cruise lines and you are attempting to discredit me.

If you have information that Celebrity rejects guests from the MDR on formal nights for their attire choices, it would be beneficial to those who are seeking advice and information.

Personal attacks and questions serve no useful purpose at all other than to get the posts deleted by the mods. Is that what you are attempting to get done???

Celebrity indeed makes some suggestions for dress on the so-called formal nights. I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but I also respect those who choose to dress otherwise.

Words are important, actions more so.

With regard to the words. Celebrity doesn't make "suggestions;" rather it has a "Dress Code." Suggestion implies that you may follow it or not at your choice and that there aren't potential consequences for your choice. Code implies that these are rules that if you don't follow, there might be consequences. Celebrity has chosen to use the term "Code."

Thus, your choice is to follow the Dress Code or not. If you do not follow the Code, there are potential consequences (denied entry, handed a jacket, etc.). The words of the Code are pretty much a train wreck. They use the word "Formal" but then go onto say, "examples of Formal attire include" tuxedo, suit, and dinner jacket with slacks. A suit is not "Formal" but its specifically included. Is a blazer OK? Probably not with these words, but see the action section down below.

With regard to actions. Most men actually comply with the Dress Code. Most wear a suit (with a smaller number wearing a Tux). Most of the rest wear at least a blazer or a sportcoat. (not-compliant but closer to the spirit of the Code). A smaller number wear a tie without a jacket. (again, not compliant but some effort). A few ignore it completely. Celebrity responds by sporadically enforcing the policy by requesting noncompliers to enjoy another dining venue (still some reports of this) or, more commonly, by offering a jacket to those without one.

I choose to follow the dress code by wearing a suit. I would like Celebrity to formalize that a blazer or sportcoat would be OK. One thing that I am in complete agreement with Tip is that I respect those who choose to dress differently than I.

I've seen people turned away at the door many times for clothing choices. Enforcement is hit or miss sometimes, but I'd sure hate to see someone embarrassed because of poor advice received.

To be more specific --- Are you aware of anyone having been refused service or admission into the MDR on formal nights wearing a neat dress shirt and slacks ?

To be more specific --- Are you aware of anyone having been refused service or admission into the MDR on formal nights wearing a neat dress shirt and slacks ?

Yes, many times. They are sometimes offered a jacket or directed to one of the smart casual areas to dine. I've also seen a few that have slipped by...but very infrequently. There's not always someone at the door and Maitre'ds differ in their levels of enforcement. The fact is this is not Celebrity's dress code and those who come dressed casually may or may not be able to enter. At any rate they will be out of place and may feel uncomfortable.

Yes, many times. They are sometimes offered a jacket or directed to one of the smart casual areas to dine. I've also seen a few that have slipped by...but very infrequently.

That is odd. I have seen advice elsewhere that this type of attire is acceptable. It could affect my future cruise plans.

I fall on the more traditional side of the dress code debate (I'm just radical enough to say a jacket and tie is acceptable, but no more.) However, I don't think it's a nice thing to do to study another poster's posting history and then purport to announce to the board that the person lacks credibility. That happened to me a while back on the HAL board. Another CC regular (but not a HAL regular) posted a negative review and the cheerleaders were up in arms. I posted a comment noting that some of the criticisms of the review were inconsistent. Then a HAL regular pounced on me, announcing that she had reviewed my posting history. Not only was I deemd to be completely unqualified to have an opinion about anything on a HAL board, but I was probably part of some off-board conspiracy to make negative comments on the HAL board.:rolleyes: It wasn't a nice feeling to have one of the HAL regulars telling the board that I wasn't worthy to comment on anything. I think we can all make our own assessments of what weight to give someone's comments.

This comment was on another forum. It leaves me with an open question about Celebrity dress code application. It was posted in March 2012.

on formal nights on my cruise just finished, i wore chinos and a nice shirt in the main dining room... it was fine... my wife wore a nice top and dressy slacks... 1/4 of the people had gowns/tuxes on/ 1/2 had a suit or jacket with no tie (men)/nice dress and 1/8 looked ratty.. no one cared..

it was a celebrity cruise.

I agree with the OP that men and women of all ages, but especially the younger set, are dressing better and more formally these days. Whether its the bad economy, the popularity of "Mad Men" and other retro shows, or just chino fatigue, the folks I know in their 20's and 30's are dressing up. I live in the SF Bay area and I see women in silk dresses and men in shined Shoes, pressed jackets and cotton shirts when I go out. Men in my profession (financial services) are wearing suits and ties not only for meetings but just to the office. Unfortunately the older folks in their 40s and 50s are still stuck in a sloppy, jeans and chinos, t shirt or polo shirt, mindset. For a whole generation those folks were happy to thumb their nose at dress codes. Now their children are "rebelling" by pulling out the grown up clothes. Ah justice! :rolleyes:

Interesting, insightful comment on the potential connection with the Mad Men and other "retro" shows. Fashion does go "up and down", swinging with the trends, borrow from pop culture, the media, etc. It's been many years since graduating from college, but I can see around the nearby Ohio State University campus a trend there that more women are doing the dress or skirt thing. Not as much of the sloppy slacks things.

In this economy, many younger adults do want some of those old-fashion things, like jobs and careers. Clothing sends a variety of messages, both good and bad.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 90,782 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived