Naples To Pompeii

Gabrielle R.

OK, I need help! I want to go to Pompeii. We are in port from 7 AM-6PM I have booked currently with Princess to go to Pompeii.. BUT it is in the Afternoon, AND we only get to stay for 2 hours... I want to stay longer... SO... My problem... HOW can I get there? I'd be more than happy to share a ride for a tour, Who is a good tour company? Suggestions?

Any info is good for me!

Gabrielle

To find a share you should post on the roll call for your cruise.

Many people go to Pompei on their own from the Naples port; there are tour guides for hire at the entrance or you can use an audioguide (either rented on site or downloaded in advance from the Rick Steves web site).

There is a local train from Naples, the Circumvesuviana, that has a stop right at one of the entrances to the ruins at Pompei.

These were posted there a few months back. I haven't used the directions yet, so I can't swear to them, but I assume they are good.

Naples to Pompeii by bus:

We just got back from our 12 day Med cruise, I had planned on taking the train to Pompeii but after seeing a few threads about taking the SITA bus, decided that would be easier. And it WAS! We headed off the ship about 7:35 am, after winding our way thru the terminal building we made it past the taxi drivers to the road. (We did have a taxi driver out by the road offer to take us to the train for E10, but all the closer ones wanted to do a "tour") We turned right and walked down about 5 minutes, walking along a sidewalk with the water on our right. We came to a lot with 7-8 SITA buses in it, walked over a cable (not sure why, probably just to save a few steps) and past the buses to a building to buy tickets. It was E8,50 for 2 adults, 2 children. We walked back out to the buses, got on the one that said "Pompeii Scavi" and we were sitting there at 7:50 am. The bus left at 8:00 am. We arrived at Pompeii at 8:33 am. Traffic was not a problem, there seemed to be an HOV lane that there were very few vehicles in. I had copied very good instructions on doing this, but I am not sure if it was Cruise critic or Trip Advisor. The bus was a big tour type bus with ac and a very nice lady let us know we were at Pompeii, though there were also signs out on the road. We did have to cross a busy street to get to the parking lot, we used the bathroom at a restaurant and then made our way up the hill to Pompeii. We aslo got to Pompeii early enough that it was till cool (sort of) with lots of shade along the sidewalks. Our 11 year old twins loved Pompeii, it was their favorite of every where we went. When we left Pompeii, we went out the entrance we came in and across the street to the train station where we caught a train to Sorrento. The biggest reason we took the bus was to avoid getting to the train station and also any pickpockets etc at the train station. Though we never had a single problem at any port we were at, however we used money belts everywhere and even kept our Iphone in 1. An Iphone 4 is worth $1000 in Turkey. We also carried a small bag with a camera, Rick Steves info on Pompeii and water in it. I hope this helps someone who is going. I will see if I still have the posts that I used for the bus station. I do know it said to buy tickets at a Tabbachi shop but it was easy to buy them at the station.

The bus has several benefits vs. the train; first, it's closer to the cruise port (bus is at Molo Immacolotella Vecchia, about a third of a mile, vs. the train at Porta Nolana, 1.2 miles). Additionally you're much more likely to get a seat (and a comfortable one at that) and you'll keep it for the entire ride, and the air conditioning generally works. The only downside that immediately comes to mind, vs. the train, is that there are fewer buses so you don't have as many options as you do with the train.

We went on a private tour (8 people) from Naples to the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Positano etc and still had at least two hours at Pompeii. I am sure there are private cars that you could hire to take you directly to Pompeii and pick you up at an arranged time - the more people you can get together the cheaper for you! I know you can arrange your own tour with most companies - perhaps you could do a couple of sights.

I personally and to scared to trust/take trains when I have a limited time but I know many people do with great success.

For perspective, a round trip taxi ride from Naples to Pompei with a two hour stop at Pompei is a set fare of 90 Euro. Each additional hour of standing time is about 20 Euro - compare this to the cost of a car service. There are, of course, additional benefits to a car service but this will give you a basis to understand the financial side of the equation so you can decide if the additional benefits are worth the cost.

Information on the set fares for taxis in Naples (in English) is on the city's web site and can be found here: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/6665. If you are considering using a taxi in Naples it is a good idea to print this information, including the fare chart, and carry it with you.

When we went in November, someone had posted here that the bus was no longer running. I am not sure if it is seasonal or has been eliminated entirely, but at the very least I would have a backup plan. The train was easy.

To your point, I went to the SITA site to look for a schedule but couldn't find one. I'll be in Naples soon and if I have a chance I'll look into it, it may be seasonal service only.

We got a taxi to the train station, then took the train to Pompeii, very easy as he station is very near the gates.

After several hours in Pompeii we got back on the train and went to Sorrento, walked down through the town had lunch (we got to Pompeii early) and then caught the hydrofoil back to Naples, which docked very near to the ship.

A great day and very easy to do :)

Archived