Tours you can buy at the dock

welldone60

Noticed that there is a Kayak trip for $35. We would really like to Kayak in GC on the day were there for our Freedom sailing Nov 1st. There was only one outfit I could find CaymanKayak but they will be on vacation when were there. Has anyone here done the Kayak tour on the blackboard posted by the OP?

Thanks

... No one.?

Not sure what outfit operates the mangrove kayak tour from the pier, but if the kayaking location is in Red Bay and not the North Sound, you may want to look at other ideas. Really not much left of the mangroves over at Red Bay, as most of the area has been developed.

In addition to Cayman Kayaks mentioned above, Cayman Sea Elements and Cayman Six Sense Eco Tour also have mangrove kayaking and boat tours.

Not sure what outfit operates the mangrove kayak tour from the pier, but if the kayaking location is in Red Bay and not the North Sound, you may want to look at other ideas. Really not much left of the mangroves over at Red Bay, as most of the area has been developed.

In addition to Cayman Kayaks mentioned above, Cayman Sea Elements and Cayman Six Sense Eco Tour also have mangrove kayaking and boat tours.

...Thanks I emailed cayman sea elements and heard back right away. They actually do an excursion for RCL Freedom which is the ship well be on. I know that the ship offers a kayak adventure but was hoping to save money by doing our own thing...the 6 sence one states on their site they are $100..too high for my budget. I may have to wait till we get there and wing it.

• 4 weeks later...
I know sometimes some wish to just see what tours they can buy as they arrive in port. Here are a few picks of what is offered in Grand Cayman. This was on our 2/5/12 Freedom cruise.

gc0020.jpg?t=1329969759

gc0021.jpg?t=1329959611

gc0022.jpg?t=1329959618

gc0023.jpg?t=1329959618

gc0024.jpg?t=1329959625

gc0025.jpg?t=1329959625

Can not decide to either pre-book and deposit by credit card a tour with CaymanSafari for 5.5 hrs at 99.00 or wait and take a tour guide at the dock.

Any ideas?

Can not decide to either pre-book and deposit by credit card a tour with CaymanSafari for 5.5 hrs at 99.00 or wait and take a tour guide at the dock.

Any ideas?

Just remember ships often miss GC when they can't tender. We were diverted for a medical emergency to Coz, skipped GC and they added Costa Maya. All my research and planning went for naught. We have 2 shots next month on our Valor/Glory B2B.

Just remember ships often miss GC when they can't tender. We were diverted for a medical emergency to Coz, skipped GC and they added Costa Maya. All my research and planning went for naught. We have 2 shots next month on our Valor/Glory B2B.

I guess we have been very fortunate, we have never missed our Grand Cayman stops.

George Town has a great public "bus" system that is pretty easy to find from where the tender drops you. The buses are little minivans that leave every 15 minutes or so from a small lot near the public library and Heroes Square. They go pretty much all over the island (but NOT Rum Point) to the major attractions - Seven Mile Beach, Cemetery Beach, Turtle Farm, Hell, etc. The bus drivers (who, of course, speak English, as that's the language of the Caymans) will drop you off anywhere along a route that you want to go. The fare is usually $2.50 U.S. and you pay when you leave the "bus." To catch one going back, you stand on the opposite side of the street from where you're dropped off, keeping in mind that Caymanians drive on the left side of the road. There are no official bus stops, so if you see a minivan coming, wave at it and it will stop. If it honks at you when approaching, it is because the driver is asking if you want to get on the bus.

If you're only planning to go to a few places on Grand Cayman, it is easy to make up your own tour by taking the buses. The buses all return to the lot near the library, so you don't need to be afraid of getting lost. You will not be the only tourist on the bus, and you will find the drivers and passengers very courteous and helpful.

Wow...thanks for posting...what a great resource to have before we arrive.

Also thanks for all the tips on the minivans. We were just planning to go to the beach so 2.50 is great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am very interested in the East side tour! Has anyone done this tour before??

I would love to go to Rum Point, but do not want to rent a car. We have already done the Sting Ray City so we are not interested in doing that again. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Going to the East side of the island is a bit different than the regular tourist stuff and it's a great way to spend a day. My suggestion for an East Side tour would be to get a "taxi" to take you where you want to go. This may be more like a tour bus than a taxi so you can probably get together with a few other people if you want. There will be plenty of them waiting at the dock when you get off the tender. Just be sure to get the price before you start off.

A good loop would be to go to Bowden Town first thing in the morning. There's a beach there you can stop at for a while if you want to. There's also a "Pirates Cave" place there too. After Bowden Town head on down to East End and have lunch there. (East End is the name of the town.) There are several places to eat along the way, but a local recommended me to Vivine's Kitchen. It's right on the ocean and you can eat outside if you want. I haven't been to Vivine's... let me know how it is.

On the way to East End you will go by the "Blow Holes" and "Lovers Wall". Depending on the time of year and sea conditions you may get some spectactular pics there.

After lunch the next stop is the "Wreck of the Ten Sails". This is the place where it is reputed that the Cayman Islands got their tax free status from England when the citizens there rescued English sailors.

At this point you will be almost all the way to the farthest east end of the island so you will drive on around to get back to Rum Point. There's a beach and some other stuff at Rum Point. Just be carefull on time because before you know it you will need to get back to the ship.

Hummm... as I've been writing this and thinking about how much fun I've had in Grand Cayman, I've started to get a case of "cruise fever". It's time to go book another cruise.

Have fun going to East End.

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

Going to the East side of the island is a bit different than the regular tourist stuff and it's a great way to spend a day. My suggestion for an East Side tour would be to get a "taxi" to take you where you want to go. This may be more like a tour bus than a taxi so you can probably get together with a few other people if you want. There will be plenty of them waiting at the dock when you get off the tender. Just be sure to get the price before you start off.

A good loop would be to go to Bowden Town first thing in the morning. There's a beach there you can stop at for a while if you want to. There's also a "Pirates Cave" place there too. After Bowden Town head on down to East End and have lunch there. (East End is the name of the town.) There are several places to eat along the way, but a local recommended me to Vivine's Kitchen. It's right on the ocean and you can eat outside if you want. I haven't been to Vivine's... let me know how it is.

On the way to East End you will go by the "Blow Holes" and "Lovers Wall". Depending on the time of year and sea conditions you may get some spectactular pics there.

After lunch the next stop is the "Wreck of the Ten Sails". This is the place where it is reputed that the Cayman Islands got their tax free status from England when the citizens there rescued English sailors.

At this point you will be almost all the way to the farthest east end of the island so you will drive on around to get back to Rum Point. There's a beach and some other stuff at Rum Point. Just be carefull on time because before you know it you will need to get back to the ship.

Hummm... as I've been writing this and thinking about how much fun I've had in Grand Cayman, I've started to get a case of "cruise fever". It's time to go book another cruise.

Have fun going to East End.

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions! Hopefully I can find a taxi or tour company that can offer this type of tour since there will only be four of us.

The second pic you put up has a great island tour for $20 pp. Think I'll wait and see if I can grab that one. (First one says Turtle thing is $10 more). If I can't then it will be a beach day. But I'd rather do this. Thanks for putting this up!

This is great info! I will try to make a point to take pictures of the tours at all our stops since we will probably wing it at most of our stops in two weeks (!!).

Did you get pictures of what was being offered on GC?

Thanks for posting this. I am undecided on what to do in Grand Cayman. Glad to know there are plenty of options at the pier!

thank for this post as it is very helpful. as the previous question was asked does it make much difference if there are many cruise ships in port on that day ? or are there plenty of tour operators that you can easily find tours once you get there ?

Thank you so very much. I found it really helpful. And thank you to all the posters who followed up with further suggestions. On the strength of this thread, we have decided upon an island tour. A swim with the stingrays has been recommended by a friend but we're not too sure on this.

Thank you so much for the thread! Seems like we will wait and won't prebook an excursion for GC.

Stupid question, but the prices on the signs are for GC dollars, not US dollars, right?

And, I think we would love the $20 island tour. Someone stated you just drove by 7 mile beach, but they would surely drop you off there if you wanted some beach time, right?

Archived