Sensation disappointment

deavers

I'm looking for other's views of different cruise ships / lines etc.

We just came back from our first ever cruise, and it was on the Carnival Sensation. We have always heard how great the food was on a cruise, but we were very disappointed in the food. We are NOT food snobs, we are your everyday food kind of people, nothing fancy. Even the pizza was terrible, and that says alot considering we like frozen cheap pizzas, LOL :). The staff was great, but waiting in lines to eat breakfast and lunch and then to try to find a table was insane, especially when we first got on the ship and then the day we were at sea. ALSO while we were at sea for a day, there weren't any lounge chairs on the entire ship, they were all taken already. The pool wasn't big enough to accomodate the amount of people on the cruise nor was the pool heated....freezing! Again, I"ve always heard how great cruising is and I'm thinking it was just the ship we were on. We have children ages 7, 8 & 13. We aren't drinkers so the lounges don't interest us. Please tell us your experience and recommendations please. Or do we just need to stick to land vacations :)

Hi there! So sorry your cruise wasn't up to snuff! Royal Carribean was my honeymoon cruise with my sweet husband. We liked it, had a great time. The food for us was just ok. BUt, it was our Honeymoon. Nothing could have ruined it.;)

Our first cruise with Carnival was on the Triumph. We had a good time, but the whole cruise felt a little off to us, not sure why. Second time on Carnival felt a little more familiar, we sailed on the Liberty. It's been my (our) favorite cruise so far. Everything seemed just about as perfect as it could get.

This summer, we're planning on another cruise on the Ecstasy. We've never sailed her & always been on the "bigger ships"....So, we'll see how it goes. This one may be "the best" or we may find we don't like the smaller ships. That being said, maybe you've discovered that that cruise was just not for you. I think you should definitley try another one before you decide as a whole. I've usually had great food on Carnival. Cruising for us just seems a good fit, as we think it's a great bang for your buck. We've looked at all inclusives, and always gone back to cruising.

I hope all of your future vacations are wonderful! I hope you'll try cruising again!

We just came back from our first ever cruise, and it was on the Carnival Sensation. We have always heard how great the food was on a cruise, but we were very disappointed in the food. We are NOT food snobs, we are your everyday food kind of people, nothing fancy. Even the pizza was terrible, and that says alot considering we like frozen cheap pizzas, LOL :). The staff was great, but waiting in lines to eat breakfast and lunch and then to try to find a table was insane, especially when we first got on the ship and then the day we were at sea. ALSO while we were at sea for a day, there weren't any lounge chairs on the entire ship, they were all taken already. The pool wasn't big enough to accomodate the amount of people on the cruise nor was the pool heated....freezing! Again, I"ve always heard how great cruising is and I'm thinking it was just the ship we were on. We have children ages 7, 8 & 13. We aren't drinkers so the lounges don't interest us. Please tell us your experience and recommendations please. Or do we just need to stick to land vacations :)

I started a thread last year after my August cruise on Sensation. It was my 2nd time on her. The first was before her refurbish. I expected a fabulous ship, but what I saw was anything but. She was dirty and the staterooms smelled of sewage. Entertainment was so-so. I did think the food was good though... probably the only good quality she had. I was very disappointed.

Sorry you were disappointed :(

I would never recommend that someones first trip on a Carnival cruise be on a Fantasy class ship. Or even a Destiny class ship. They are older. Much older than the rest of the fleet and it shows. I loved them in the 90's, won't even look at their itineraries now. With that said some people do LOVE this class of ships but many don't. I would always recommend that a new cruiser experience a newer ship for their first time.

Try a Conquest class or above next time, and see if you like it then. I'm pretty sure you'll have a different experience. But I must warn you that chair hogs are EVERYWHERE, and none of the pools will be heated.

Sorry you were disappointed :(

I would never recommend that someones first trip on a Carnival cruise be on a Fantasy class ship. Or even a Destiny class ship. They are older. Much older than the rest of the fleet and it shows. I loved them in the 90's, won't even look at their itineraries now. With that said some people do LOVE this class of ships but many don't. I would always recommend that a new cruiser experience a newer ship for their first time.

Try a Conquest class or above next time, and see if you like it then. I'm pretty sure you'll have a different experience. But I must warn you that chair hogs are EVERYWHERE, and none of the pools will be heated.

Well, if this was their very first cruise,, how would they have known?? :confused:

Some ppl that I know in particular have had a fantastic first cruise on a Fantasy class ship. Just bc they are older does not necessarily mean that it will be a bad cruise.

I'm going on my second Carnival cruise after waiting 24 years. In between, I've sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. The last three are my favorites. But I'm going with an open mind. As for food, everyone's tastes are different. From the photos I've seen, I'll be able to order something tasty most meals. We try to avoid the buffets because of the lines, so we will be eating breakfast in the dining room each morning and lunch there when it's available on our sea days. When we're in port, there should not be as large a crowd at lunch in the buffet, so I'm hoping it will be OK.

Me and DH's first cruise as a couple was on the Sensation. It was so, so. Our other cruises since then have been much better. The buffet issues will be true on every line and every boat. There will be lines, especially at peak times (8-9, 12-1 etc).

I'd try a longer cruise next time maybe or one of the newer ships.

Well, if this was their very first cruise,, how would they have known?? :confused:

Some ppl that I know in particular have had a fantastic first cruise on a Fantasy class ship. Just bc they are older does not necessarily mean that it will be a bad cruise.

Where did I say that they should have known? I said I would never recommend it.

And if you read you would see that I said some people love Fantasy class ships, and some don't. I am fully aware that just because these ships are older it wont be a bad cruise. But some people go into their first cruise expecting the biggest and the best with all the bells and whistles without knowing any better and none of the Fantasy class ships fit that bill.

Our first cruise was on the Sensation in 2009. Overall we were happy with the condition the ship was in. Always clean, no foul odors or anything that you are describing. We also enjoyed the food. Buffets had a great selection, etc. We anticipated line ups, and don't forget that room service is always an option. We ate frequently at the back of the ship - there were some tucked away spots off the aft that had tables and we enjoyed breakfast there every morning. Our kids were 14 and 10 when we cruised. We hung by the waterslide and splash pad. Never went near the pool area - way too crowded! It certainly doesn't help that the Sensation has only one pool.... We had been to Disney before and were returning again after the cruise so we knew we would be pool swimming elsewhere. We are just preparing for our second cruise - we weren't turned off cruising by the Sensation one bit. It's a decision you will have to make... all the best!

Maybe it has two pools but they are in the same area - not sure on that point.....

I'm a fantasy class lover, no big screen on Lido but then again you don't have to listen to the blaring noise!! I would not want to be in this class for a long cruise though, unless I had a balcony and parked myself there. I've not seen a dirty ship yet. But, I don't look for it either, I'm on a cruise, not an inspector. I've been on Liberty in Dec., I'm one of those species that disliked it, and did a first for me...I sent back food from the MDR!!! So, it's not just a small ship problem. As for buffet lines, simple solution, don't go at prime times. Lines are on ALL ships at that time. If anyone wants to see the lines from Hell, see the lines for breakfast on a day a ship can't make it into a port but everyone is primed to get off. This happened on Dream the day we couldn't get into Roatan. 3,000 people ran to the buffet to tank up:eek:

Where did I say that they should have known? I said I would never recommend it.

And if you read you would see that I said some people love Fantasy class ships, and some don't. I am fully aware that just because these ships are older it wont be a bad cruise. But some people go into their first cruise expecting the biggest and the best with all the bells and whistle without knowing any better and none of the Fantasy class ships fit that bill.

Ouch, touchy touchy. To each their own. I didn't say that you said they would have known. They wouldn't have, your right. And, for what it's worth, I did read your post. You said the majority of ppl don't like the Fantasy Class, only some. My philosophy is, Don't knock it 'till you try it. And, for what it's worth.. I would think that the vast majority of ppl that book a particular cruise research enough about the ship to prepare themselves for what it does have & what it doesn't. Altho, I know some ppl don't prepare at all.

Let's not kidnap the OP's thread by bantering back & forth. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was just asking a question, being that it was their very first cruise.

I'm a fantasy class lover, no big screen on Lido but then again you don't have to listen to the blaring noise!! I would not want to be in this class for a long cruise though, unless I had a balcony and parked myself there. I've not seen a dirty ship yet. But, I don't look for it either, I'm on a cruise, not an inspector. I've been on Liberty in Dec., I'm one of those species that disliked it, and did a first for me...I sent back food from the MDR!!! So, it's not just a small ship problem. As for buffet lines, simple solution, don't go at prime times. Lines are on ALL ships at that time. If anyone wants to see the lines from Hell, see the lines for breakfast on a day a ship can't make it into a port but everyone is primed to get off. This happened on Dream the day we couldn't get into Roatan. 3,000 people ran to the buffet to tank up:eek:

That would be awful! ( in regards to the dream), and I'm with you about the big screen on the Lido. I hate that thing. If I wanted to watch tv, I'd go back to the cabin. No thanks!!

I honestly think it takes a couple of different cruises before you get the "hang of" cruising. You will begin to know when to go to the buffet and when to avoid it, when the Lido deck will be crowded, which shows to get early at so you can get a good seat and which foods to order (or avoid) in the MDR. Honestly, this just comes with researching your product (the ship!) and cruising.

And lastly, sometimes cruising just isn't for everyone, and that's okay.

Good luck and I hope you try it again because it can honestly be the time of your life! :)

Ouch, touchy touchy. To each their own. I didn't say that you said they would have known. They wouldn't have, your right. And, for what it's worth, I did read your post. You said the majority of ppl don't like the Fantasy Class, only some. My philosophy is, Don't knock it 'till you try it. And, for what it's worth.. I would think that the vast majority of ppl that book a particular cruise research enough about the ship to prepare themselves for what it does have & what it doesn't. Altho, I know some ppl don't prepare at all.

Let's not kidnap the OP's thread by bantering back & forth. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was just asking a question, being that it was their very first cruise.

The first part made me laugh LOL! Sorry if I was snarky!

I do agree with the rest of your post as well :)

Always clean, no foul odors or anything that you are describing. We also enjoyed the food. Buffets had a great selection, etc. We anticipated line ups, and don't forget that room service is always an option. We ate frequently at the back of the ship - there were some tucked away spots off the aft that had tables and we enjoyed breakfast there every morning. Our kids were 14 and 10 when we cruised.g.php

I honestly think it takes a couple of different cruises before you get the "hang of" cruising. You will begin to know when to go to the buffet and when to avoid it, when the Lido deck will be crowded, which shows to get early at so you can get a good seat and which foods to order (or avoid) in the MDR. Honestly, this just comes with researching your product (the ship!) and cruising.

And lastly, sometimes cruising just isn't for everyone, and that's okay.

Good luck and I hope you try it again because it can honestly be the time of your life! :)

Agreed!!!:)

That seems to be my undoing, lol, going on our first Carnival cruise on Destiny and second Carnival cruise on a Fantasy class ship.

And sure enough, after those two experiences my hubby does not want to go on Carnival ever again. Thankfully we had cruised with Nowegian and Royal Caribbean before (both short cruises during busy time too) so he knows enough not to swear off cruising all together.

But I want to give Carnival a third try on a longer cruise. Our next two cruises will be on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. After that I will try to fit in a 7 day Carnival cruise. I will see how that goes.

My suggestion to OP, if you are still open to try Carnival, try a longer cruise on a newer ship. :)

Before we started cruising again after a 25 year gap, we check a lot of online facts and cruise histories. We came to the conclusion the Royal Caribbean was our best choice for us (60+ years young). We have not been disappointed. We have had just a minor 'burp' or two on our 10 cruises.

Carnival has had more accidents, fires, fights, etc. than other major lines....yes they are the biggest, but their record is beyond what would be considered as average. Our friends who have cruised both Carnival and Royal have almost all switched to Royal or Celebrity. Our personal favorite is the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

I spoke with our RCI captain on one cruise during a meet and mingle and asked him about Carnival ships as one was drifting off the Mexican coast. He did not wanted to get too specific but he did say the Carnival ships are designed differently than RCI ships and that redundancy of systems is not Carnival's strong point. I asked him about the incident were a Carnival ship sideswiped the Enchantment of the Seas in Cozumel (you can see it on YouTube posts) awhile back. He just smiled and said 'maybe a bad captain?. After Costa Concordia, it makes me wonder how many 'bad' captains they have.:eek:

Before we started cruising again after a 25 year gap, we check a lot of online facts and cruise histories. We came to the conclusion the Royal Caribbean was our best choice for us (60+ years young). We have not been disappointed. We have had just a minor 'burp' or two on our 10 cruises.

Carnival has had more accidents, fires, fights, etc. than other major lines....yes they are the biggest, but their record is beyond what would be considered as average. Our friends who have cruised both Carnival and Royal have almost all switched to Royal or Celebrity. Our personal favorite is the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral.

I spoke with our RCI captain on one cruise during a meet and mingle and asked him about Carnival ships as one was drifting off the Mexican coast. He did not wanted to get too specific but he did say the Carnival ships are designed differently than RCI ships and that redundancy of systems is not Carnival's strong point. I asked him about the incident were a Carnival ship sideswiped the Enchantment of the Seas in Cozumel (you can see it on YouTube posts) awhile back. He just smiled and said 'maybe a bad captain?. After Costa Concordia, it makes me wonder how many 'bad' captains they have.:eek:

I'm just curious as to where you got this information. I would LOVE to read it for myself. Thanks!

I am sorry you were not thrilled with her. Sensation was my and my DH's first cruise. I was thrilled, I never smelled anything. I am not really picky unless it is well noticable. I have sailed the Glory and was just as thrilled.

This 3rd trip was on the Inspiration, same class I believe, correct me if I am wrong. But for me, I am happy to be sailing. I have a bed, a bathroom, and I have food to eat. I am going from port to port.

I hope you find a ship you will be happy with in the future.

The Sensation was my first cruise as well. I personally loved it, except for the fact that the trip was over by the time I blinked my eyes! But I don't think you should write off cruising yet. Like they said, try the newer ones with the water parks and all the bells and whistles. That might be better for you and your children!

Couple of thoughts: You did not mention if it was a 4,5, or 7 day cruise. I never book short cruises on Carnival anymore because the woo hoo party people seem to dominate. My first cruise was on the Sensation in 2000. It was a week long Western Caribbean with a stop in New Orleans.... my favorite cruise so far. The ship wasn't new back then, but it was clean and our itinerary was action packed so we didn't mind. The smell... well, yes, I've experienced that smell on every ship I've sailed. Carnival and Royal Caribbean alike. I keep my bathroom door firmly closed at all times and bring an air freshener as well. I find the food on Carnival and Royal Caribbean to be equally palatable. I'd try a newer ship with an interesting itinerary before passing judgement on Carnival altogether. You may want to consider upgrading to balcony...something that's affordable with Carnival, but much more costly with other lines. Good luck.

Some things are not going to change. The food on the mass market lines like carnival is mediocre at best. The pools are rarely heated, and finding chairs anywhere near the pool on sea days is problematic. If those things bother you then cruising on the mass market lines is probably not for you.

Archived