NCL vs Carnival

hues of blue

I'm referring to income. I've been on Carnival and felt there were more people eating in the buffet for dinner if you know what I mean.

That doesn't really speak to those who could be dining in the main dining room which is included in the price of the cruise. I don't get your point.

I just found the crowd a little rough around the edges on Carnival. A lot of people wearing clothes with the Carnival emblem on it. They seem similar to the crowd at a 6 flags theme park. People eating massive turkey legs. That type of crowd.

I understand what you are saying. I'm from New York and even I can say I see a bit of a difference in the crowd on a ship that embarks from New York.

...I don't know how the POA stacks up compared to other NCL ships though. I know it seems to be improving because early on there was a vast difference reported in the sailings due to the POA having an all American crew, now the reviews are coming in much more positive.

I haven't read any recent reviews of the POA but I'm very glad to hear the American crew is doing a better job now. Early on, the reviews were pitiful and hurtful to the crew. I guess NCL must have given the American crew more incentives to do a better job.

thanks for your post. I liked that there was a good mix of different people on carnival and hoped that it would be the same on ncl. I kinda feel more comfortable being with what has been described as 'trashier people' than I would if most on board were 'snobby'.... although 'm sure people from all walks of life are on both lines. Looking forward to the entertainment and to being on a prettier ship with a great spa, and to eating when i want and sitting where i want. I'm flying tomorrow and cant wait!

I must agree...NCL ships are much prettier than Carnival. The one and only thing I do not like about Carnival is the interior design of their ships. For me, the ships look very garish. I do not like the over all use of copper color and I find the decorating to be on the opposite spectrum of what I envision as "classy".

Just to prove how low class i am I even took a picture before devouring my turkey leg.:D

turkey.jpg

Bill

My husband and I bought a turkey leg at Disney World to share. I took one bite and did not like the taste of it at all. I wouldn't eat any more. My husband didn't like it much either and we threw away most of it.

Thanks for the words... we are Platinum on CCL and have been noticing the down hill areas as well. We are trying NCL next Feb. Glad to see good comments. I will miss the Melting Cake though.

That Chocolate Melting Cake is the best Carnival has to offer in their main dining rooms. YUM!!!

Not very informative thread but quite entertaining nonetheless. DW and I are partial to RCI but have also sailed CCL, most recently last summer to the Med. Incredible cruise, but that's for another day. DW is on the NCL Star with her Mom, returning tomorrow. It will be interesting to get her take on the differences/similarities between RCI, CCL, and NCL. On CCL, I found the food to be excellent but the service to be just a notch below RCI. I found the cruisers to be the same but it was a Med cruise and not to the Caribbean, so not sure if that made a difference. I definitely prefer the Royal ships but the Magic was brand new and very nice. Entertainment was better on RCI but still pretty good on CCL. A bit off-thread, but thought I'd chime in.

I will be on my first NCL cruise in April. I’ll be easy to spot. I’ll be the snooty (I’ve cruised Celebrity many times), old (even though I’m not 65, but because I‘ve cruised on Celebrity and everyone was over 65), trashy (like buffets) and rowdy (I like to have fun) one. Thank goodness I only take one plate at a time at the buffet, don’t have any tattoos, don’t wear baseball caps backwards, never been to six flags and don't wear cruise line specific clothes or I’d really be in big trouble and way to easy to spot.

Seriously, I expect to have a tremendous cruise; meeting some nice people and enjoying the overall experience. I’ll also be the one that will judge each person I met based on their behavior and won’t be generalizing and lumping everyone into one category or the four I fit into.

Archived