Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

Until someone can come up with the actual verbage from the cruise contract AND their insurance policy, I'm bowing out of this discussion.

Pass the popcorn!

hee hee hee ask and you shall receive...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_guestticket.pdf

I need another umbrellie drink to wash down the popcorn...

My question is...and at the risk of repeating myself...what are you accomplishing here? The productive stance would be to call Royal Caribbean or better yet have your attorney call Royal Caribbean and voice your concerns.

Sorry, as of right now Royal Caribbean has not gven me the authority over their financial matters. I they had I would give (most of you:D ) a free cruise.

Now pass my umbrellie drink :D :D

What am I accomplishing here? I have no complaint -- I am lucky and as of right now, my cruise hasn't been delayed. However, this is NOT sitting easy as someone who is setting foot on an RCCL ship in a couple of weeks. Last I looked, this was an open forum -- and last I looked, RCCL does read on here, even if they can't reply.

That being said, if you don't like reading about RCCL customers being frustrated over the lack of response and help on the part of RCCL, then I suggest you back out of this thread.

This absolute lack of customer service has me sitting uneasy. Sorry if you can't deal with that.

What am I accomplishing here? I have no complaint -- I am lucky and as of right now, my cruise hasn't been delayed. However, this is NOT sitting easy as someone who is setting foot on an RCCL ship in a couple of weeks. Last I looked, this was an open forum*** -- and last I looked, RCCL does read on here, even if they can't reply.

That being said, if you don't like reading about RCCL customers being frustrated over the lack of response and help on the part of RCCL, then I suggest you back out of this thread.

This absolute lack of customer service has me sitting uneasy. Sorry if you can't deal with that.

***And others beside yourself are entitled to their opinion...

Personally I have been watching this board to view the progress of the ship which incidently was the original thread. I too, am grateful that my cruise is proceeding as scheduled however, if there was a problem I would address it and not obsess about it.

hee hee hee ask and you shall receive...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/RCI_guestticket.pdf

I need another umbrellie drink to wash down the popcorn...

Thanks reeran! I couldn't copy and paste from a PDF file, but if it helps, refer to page 24, #6. It's in the contract. Sorry folks. Enjoy your cruise, even if it is short!

Right - and you have been doing nothing but telling people to shut up -- people who have a valid complaint.

I hope, for your sake, that nothing happens on your upcoming cruise. Sorry. but lack of customer service has me sitting uneasy. You're a better person than me. Congrats.

And now, I am slowly backing out of this conversation.

My question is...and at the risk of repeating myself...what are you accomplishing here? The productive stance would be to call Royal Caribbean or better yet have your attorney call Royal Caribbean and voice your concerns.

Sorry, as of right now Royal Caribbean has not gven me the authority over their financial matters. I they had I would give (most of you:D ) a free cruise.

Now pass my umbrellie drink :D :D

I thought expressing one's opinion was one of the reasons why we post on this board and others like it. Cruisers like Carol and Megust are not posting their frustration with RCCL's lack of compensation in hopes that anyone here will do anything about it; they're simply letting us know that they do not believe RCCL is fairly handling their concerns about a shortened cruise and the additional expenses incurred. I agree with them that RCCL seems to be going out of its way to please the passengers currently aboard the Grandeur and adopting a "take it or leave it" attitude with those that were scheduled to sail on the 23rd. They don't deserve the bashing the've received from the "buy insurance" crowd and are rightly miffed to be paying for a 7-day cruise and getting a 5-day in return. Given what RCCL is offering I believe the best financial outcome for them would be to cancel the cruise and get a full refund. Good luck to both of you in dealing with RCCL on this matter and keep your chin up regardless of the attitudes of some of the posters on this thread.

It is not a nice thing to happen to the cruisers that will board the ship tomorrow, but please don't take out your frustrations on the staff, they are only doing their jobs and have no part in this mess. I do think that given some time to talk this over RCI will come to their senses. I wish you all a Bon Voyage. Peace :)

Thanks reeran! I couldn't copy and paste from a PDF file, but if it helps, refer to page 24, #6. It's in the contract. Sorry folks. Enjoy your cruise, even if it is short!

You mean...

6. Carrier may for any reason, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call, or substitiue another vessel or port of call, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Passenger by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitiution or deviation.

According to the contract they are not required to offer any monetary rembursement.

hmmmm pass me another umbrellie drink:D

for any of those who are on the ship right now, has the captin told you what time the ship will arrive tomorrow?

i'm trying to figure out what time i want the taxi to pick me up and i'd like to get a better idea, as to when ya'll will be arriving.

thanks

According to the Cruise Director in our show that just let out, we are scheduled to arrive in New Orleans around 10:00 CST. Of course, that doesn't tell us when we'll be able to get OFF the ship. Lots to do before that happens, I'm sure.

I know I said nothing was done to celebrate us being under way, but I had to say that they did provide free champagne at lunch today as a way of celebrating that we are on our way home.

They have also continued the free phone and internet service.

Reading is all a matter of interpretation...Article 6 is in regard to what happens when you are on a scheduled cruise getting your full days on a ship. It doesn't matter what ports or ships they may substitute, but they are still expected to have you on a ship. Or, do you think they could not show up at all and just say, sorry read article 6, we are keeping your money??

Or how about if we put you out on a ship and it drops anchor out at sea somewhere and stays there for 7 days? Would you feel like this is an acurate interpretation of article 6?

Give me a break already!!!

Maybe a little off topic - but here goes - Cindy or Cathy if you get a chance can you let me know which nights were formal nights.

Our formal nights were on Sunday and Thursday. I have never done a 5 day cruise, so I can't say how many nights are formal, but I'm sure there are guidelines somewhere. I'd think dressing up twice in 5 days is too much.

It is not a nice thing to happen to the cruisers that will board the ship tomorrow, but please don't take out your frustrations on the staff, they are only doing their jobs and have no part in this mess. I do think that given some time to talk this over RCI will come to their senses. I wish you all a Bon Voyage. Peace :)

I have absolutely no intern on taking this out on the staff. Its not their fault and they probably were pretty miserable being in Costa Maya for 4 days as well. This is an argument with RCCL management and no one on the ship probably has the authority to override anything. I treat the staff well and they usually treat me well alike.

Caitlyn - thanks again for the updates. We're not supposed to report for boarding until 5PM but I'm sure if all goes well they'll be ready before that. Wonder what they'll do for dinner since sailaway is so late (8Pm)

I have absolutely no intention on taking this out on the staff. Its not their fault and they probably were pretty miserable being in Costa Maya for 4 days as well. This is an argument with RCCL management and no one on the ship probably has the authority to override anything. I treat the staff well and they usually treat me well alike.

Caitlyn - thanks again for the updates. We're not supposed to report for boarding until 5PM but I'm sure if all goes well they'll be ready before that. Wonder what they'll do for dinner since sailaway is so late (8Pm)

Hey Cindy & Cathy,

I know you both are eating right about now! LOL. What is planned for entertainment this evening? Are they going to have a deck party? Details! Where are you located on the GPS map thingy? Making good time I presume too! :confused:

I know, questions questions but this is uncanny the real-time experience we have with you two ladies on board! Thanks again for giving us all the updates!

~Jake

I'm not sure of our exact location, but an earlier announcement by the Captain said we'd be entering the Mississippi River at 2:00 am.

Earlier in the afternoon, we seemed to be going slowly (10 Knots per hour), but at dinnertime we sped up. I'll check the Nautical notes and report how far we are from N.O. after I finish packing.

Reading is all a matter of interpretation...Article 6 is in regard to what happens when you are on a scheduled cruise getting your full days on a ship. It doesn't matter what ports or ships they may substitute, but they are still expected to have you on a ship. Or, do you think they could not show up at all and just say, sorry read article 6, we are keeping your money??

Or how about if we put you out on a ship and it drops anchor out at sea somewhere and stays there for 7 days? Would you feel like this is an acurate interpretation of article 6?

Give me a break already!!!

Carrier may for any reason, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call

Sorry you had trouble understanding...:eek:

"deviate from any scheduled sailing" would refer to the sailing scheduled to leave yesterday. Sorry folks, but it's there in plain English. Not a pleasant situation, and not one that I would like either, but there you have it. Getting a cabin credit is probably more than you can legally expect. Insurance would have to cover anything else out of pocket, if it does at all.

Anyway, for those of you sailing tomorrow, I hope you can enjoy what time you have! Good night!

As to location, we're out of the deep blue and into the light blue on the map. Does that help? :) We maintained speeds around 22 knots all day. Captain says we should get the pilot onboard at the mouth of the Mississippi around 2 a.m. and ETA for NOLA is still 11:00 a.m.

Tonight we have another comic and the RCI singers and dancers ... doing something together or something.

Formal nights are Sunday and Thursday.

We received our flight arrangements today and ... lucky us ... get to spend another day in NOLA, fklight departs on Tuesday morning. RCI is putting us up in the Hyatt tomorrow night and giving us a $70 meal allowance. So this is probably it from me. We're all packed and ready. See you guys later.

Ooops...sorry for the repeat. I looked for a message from you before I posted but didn't see one. :)

To clarify a point...It was an offer of $300.00 per cabin, not per person, which means my cabin mate and I each would get $150.00. So that does not begin to cover the lodging and food for the two and a half days of the cruise that was missed. As I said before...I have insurance...I did cancel...But if you were in my shoes and missed out on a vacation you had been planning on, you would expect to have a more accommodating attitude on the part of the cruise line. As I stated, if RCCL does not offer any incentives to rebook me on another cruise, then I will not cruise with them again.

What I can not understand is the hostile attitude being directed at the victims of this accident on this site, rather than than the perpetrator.

I have just finished reading all the posts, and am glad to find out what had happened to y'all. I was supposed to be a passenger on the 23rd and arrived in N.O. on Thursday to stay for two nights at the Hampton Inn and see a bit of N.O. I was meeting a group of friendsfor a mystery cruise, and our cabins cost us almost $800.per person. Most of us left before hearing about the accident, so we didn't have a choice of whether we should go to New Orleans or not.

If you would have just stayed, you could have done the 5 day(?) cruise for $650.00 ea (with the $150.00 credit)......I think you made a bad decision to go home. Sometimes things don't go the way you want. Life is neither fair, nor perfect.

I would have stayed and taken the remainder of the cruise. Despite the additional lodging cost.

"deviate from any scheduled sailing" would refer to the sailing scheduled to leave yesterday. Sorry folks, but it's there in plain English. Not a pleasant situation, and not one that I would like either, but there you have it. Getting a cabin credit is probably more than you can legally expect. Insurance would have to cover anything else out of pocket, if it does at all.

Anyway, for those of you sailing tomorrow, I hope you can enjoy what time you have! Good night!

I'm sure that "legally" they don't have to do anything but then if they made a practice of that RCCL would not be customer friendly and number 2 in the industry would they? I must be cursed cause I was also on the Grandeur two years ago when they had to shut down the river and we didn't sail until Thursday. Even though they let us board the previous Saturday. It was during Mardi Gras so it was nice - like having your own hotel and everything but we got to go parading, etc. They refunded the entire cruise and give us a 50% discount as well. Guess I just expected some acknowledgement this time that they are getting two days cruise fare from us for free. Nothing against the passengers on her now - they deserve the compensation they have been offered for everything that they have gone through - but I don't think asking RCCL to refund my two days is asking too much. They don't have to "legally" but they will lose some loyal business.

Question for you...If I offered you a 5 day cruise, but told you that you would have to pay the amount of a 7 day cruise because I was running late, would you buy it?

That's the whole point. The insurance will not pay for those two days that are being charged, but not provided. A $150.00 ship credit per person is not equal to what people have paid for the two and half days cut out...

I feel I am smarter than to fall for a deal like that and cancelled. But, for the future, I think a better policy should be set up if a similar situation happens.

I've been reading the thread and the arguments from all sides about insurance, compensation, etc. My question is....

Is the ship full now? Were people able to buy a trip once it had been shortened to a 5 day? Maybe someone could have cancelled, gotten a refund and then bought it at a reduced price? I don't know as I haven't checked the rates or availability. I do think it's unfair to expect people to pay for a 7 day cruise and only get 5. At the very least, 2/7 of the price should have been refunded to those who decided to stay on.

Carrier may for any reason, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call

I don't think anyone is failing to understand the contents of the cruise contract or its legality. Companies can, and often do, make extraordinary gestures in the name of good customer service even if they're not legally obligated to do so. Royal Caribbean seems to have done this for the April 16th Grandeur passengers but is taking a very hard line for the April 23rd passengers. That inconsistency is probably one of the reasons for the unhappiness of some the April 23rd cruisers with RCCL.

I've been reading the thread and the arguments from all sides about insurance, compensation, etc. My question is....

Is the ship full now? Were people able to buy a trip once it had been shortened to a 5 day? Maybe someone could have cancelled, gotten a refund and then bought it at a reduced price? I don't know as I haven't checked the rates or availability. I do think it's unfair to expect people to pay for a 7 day cruise and only get 5. At the very least, 2/7 of the price should have been refunded to those who decided to stay on.

Tried that. Called them thinking I would cancel, get the refund and then rebook at a 5 day rate (actually was even gonna upgrade) but the C & A desk quickly told me no way. LOL - great minds think alike!

I haven't read all 800 plus posts....but why the attitude???

If my vacation that I had planned for ( for however long) got screwed up ( for whatever reason) I would be upset.

I know I am fortunate in the fact that we can afford to cruise once a year or so. I assume we are the exception and not the rule. I am sure there are people who ..........this is the vacation of a lifetime! Do they not have the right to be disappointed???

Regardless of the circumstances of the delayment of the ship, I would be heartbroken if my vacation were shortened because of some "unforeseen event."

Geez....I feel ripped off because on Tuesday I was in shorts enjoying the 90 degree weather.........and today I look at several inches of snow on my deck. And that is just my normal life........not a vacation I was looking forward to!

Yes, the terms and conditions of any document do the CYA and that is normal. But it certainly doesn't mean that when "plans" change that it can't be disappointing. I just hope you don't ever find yourself in the position these folks are in. I know I wouldn't wish the disappointment of a vacation you have planned so long for only to have it all changed.......on my worst enemy. People are upset when they can't dock in port or can't do an excursion due to the weather........Is it really necessary to point out the "contract?"

Archived