Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

Your attitude is a bit condescending and not very realistic. For some people, this is the trip of a lifetime. Not everyone has the financial means to spend a couple of extra days partying in New Orleans (and during Jazz Fest yet :eek: ) - and to spend a couple of days on the gulf - how do out-of-towners get there? Rent a car? More expense. What you are describing would easily cost $1,000+.

The very least RCI could do would be to offer to pay hotel expenses to the people on the delayed cruise. Maybe legally they are not obligated, but there are other cruise lines "out there." And people who feel they have been shafted should take their business elsewhere.

Please.. a 7 night cruise.. from New Orleans.. " A trip of a lifetime" I don't think so... and where do you come up with $1000??? What planet are you on? I go to Aruba for 10 days in the fall and don't spend near that much??!!! :eek: The Gulf is a 2 hour drive from New Orleans.. Rooms can be had 50 miles from the city for $60 a night.. Its too bad they lost 2 days. But they still could have had 5 GREAT days.. I don't think I am being at all condescending just realistic in the fact that I would have made the best of it. And like someone said you don't come to a cruise with $.50 in your pocket!!

You are missing the point entirely. I am irritated with the attitiudes.

I have two cruises planned in the future and if something would happen that would change them, I would be upset, I would try to work it out but I certainly would not concider myself a victim. and I would plan far enough ahead that if I had to get a rental car or hotel room, I would be able to do that. (Ie... don't go on a 7 day cruise with 50 cents in your pocket.:eek: )

My DH and I are both professionals who don't go on a cruise with "50 cents in our pocket" but that is completely beside the point. It's the principle. If we booked a hotel for seven nights and were only able to stay in that hotel for five due to a problem on the hotel's end, you can bet we would NOT pay for the two nights we did not stay there. So where's the difference here?

The fact that you are able to cruise once a year and have two more booked in the near future makes all the difference, IMO. Perhaps you should show a bit more sensitivity to those who do not have unlimited time and funds and were looking on this cruise as an important vacation.

And yes ... I am sure that for some, this was a trip of a lifetime.

CAC, just read your post and you're absolutely correct. We were on the Grand Princess March 12 sailing and we docked early at Costa Maya. A RCI ship was trying to dock while we were at the beach. The captainn tried every which way for about 30 minutes and then abandon the docking and headed out to sea. That captain used good judgement. This incident was the line's fault. Not mother nature's.

Keep your chin up, don't let the RCI high school cheerleaders get you down.

For what it's worth, I think those sailing today should get a 2/7th refund.

However, I can't agree with conclusions that RCCL was at fault...nor do I know that they were not at fault.

Hondu, the ship you so was the Splendour. We sailed her from Tampa on the 19th, When we arrived at Costa about 8:30 - 9:00 am, the Grand Princess was already docked. I was on deck.

I watched the Pilot Boat attempt to pull alongside, but pulled away without discharging the Pilot - too rough. They waited a short distance from the ship.

The captain came on and said that due to high winds and seas both he and the pilot concluded that it was not safe to dock at this time. He would wait a while to see if conditions improved. Afte about two hours, he came on again and said the sustained high winds and seas had not diminished, and he and the pilot had concluded that conditions would not improve to allow us to dock, so we would have a sea day.

Wind was pretty strong and blowing on to shore at a slight left to right angle. Waves were a good size.

Our dock was parallel to the shore. Grand Princess was perpindicular, so her stern would be in the wind as she docked. Our port side would have been one big sail.

I assume the same for the Grandeur.

So, because the "G" did dock, the Pilot must have been able to get on board...not as rough as when we aborted.

We were in sustained high winds for several hours...our Master anad the Pilot knew they coudn't control the vessel in a parrel park

I doubt the Master of The G would have taken a chance to dock if the pilot said don't...so both if them thought that control could be maintained, I assume that because the the wind and current would not push her into the dock.

At least one report I saw said the G was hit by a gust of wind. At just the right time, that force could overcome the thrusters and push the G several feet closer to the dock. The report also was for a fairly light current. No high seas.

Not trying to prove anything...only that we can not assume the conditions were the same from one day to the next..or even from minute to the next. I have made some assumptions which could also be wrong.

At the end of the day, the Captain is responsible whether the cause was him, God or Donald Trump. If he made a serious error or was negligent, he will be fired.

After investigation, we willl find out more.

The thing about, though is that evening was the C&A party and formal dinner. The Captain came, told a few sea stories, and then two mikes were bought out and the passengers could ask questions.

The first question was hopw come Princess could dock and we couldn't? This was followed by about 7 or 8 basically the same questions,. questioing the Captain's reasoning.

Finally, he asked please move on...he felt it wasn't safe and he wasn't going to a chance.

The question WAS different...why the hell didn' we tender like in Belize?

No amount of rational discussion worked. So, in a masterful stroke, he took a different tact. He said, and I quote. "I am sorry. You are right. I would not take a chance to harm the Splendour.I would stay on the ship. But I could have tendered you in. But I thought that with all the broken arms and legs you nice people would have gotten you might not ever come back to us again and to a wonderful party like this one."

We went to dinner.

And there wasn't a single day that went by where we didn't hear somone saying they got ripped off because we skipped Costa Maya! The most accepted reason was RCCL wanted us to spend our money on the ship! No 2 was the Captain was incompetent because if the Princess ship could dock, he could have.

My DH and I are both professionals who don't go on a cruise with "50 cents in our pocket" but that is completely beside the point. It's the principle. If we booked a hotel for seven nights and were only able to stay in that hotel for five due to a problem on the hotel's end, you can bet we would NOT pay for the two nights we did not stay there. So where's the difference here?

The fact that you are able to cruise once a year and have two more booked in the near future makes all the difference, IMO. Perhaps you should show a bit more sensitivity to those who do not have unlimited time and funds and were looking on this cruise as an important vacation.

And yes ... I am sure that for some, this was a trip of a lifetime.

Just out of curiosity, who do think funds these cruise lines so that they can disburse these "expected" huge compensations for delays...the folks who cruise once or twice a year or the ones who cruise once in a lifetime???

LOL...pass me my umbrellie drink:D

I have been watching this thread with interest to find out if the ship arrived back safe and sound, but, also to see what everyone is saying about RCCL's compensation to the cruisers boarding today. If everyone just called the cruise line about every thing, and not post their opinions to these boards, we wouldn't need these boards at all, would we?

I have a RCCL cruise booked and although THIS particular cruise does not pertain to me, how they treat their customers does. I personally feel they were VERY considerate of the passengers on the 4/10 cruise and I commend them for it. I DO NOT feel that $300 is compensation enough for those who paid for a 7 day cruise and are getting a 5 day. And you know what...I have the right to feel that way.

Can't we all agree to disagree? Seems like this is getting overly harsh and personal, doesn't really make it much fun to read...

I am a bit worried about the integrity of the ship, but thank goodness everyone is ok and can walk away with a unique vacation story.

Fisherlady48 and Reeran,

I agree with you 100%. :p

Let get back to the fun and games of cruising and not all of this negativitiy!!!:D

I agree & lets have some fun!!!!

Quote: "I am a bit worried about the integrity of the ship, but thank goodness everyone is ok and can walk away with a unique vacation story."

awwww it'll be fine, thats why they have lifeboats and muster drills!

Please.. a 7 night cruise.. from New Orleans.. " A trip of a lifetime" I don't think so... and where do you come up with $1000??? What planet are you on? I go to Aruba for 10 days in the fall and don't spend near that much??!!! :eek: The Gulf is a 2 hour drive from New Orleans.. Rooms can be had 50 miles from the city for $60 a night.. Its too bad they lost 2 days. But they still could have had 5 GREAT days.. I don't think I am being at all condescending just realistic in the fact that I would have made the best of it. And like someone said you don't come to a cruise with $.50 in your pocket!!

Now that's a nice attitude!:rolleyes: Who are you to say that for someone---anyone that this couldn't possibly be a trip of a lifetime??? I am sure for many it is. Believe it or not, not everyone can afford to take a vacation let alone a cruise.

Do you have any idea how many people out there have lost jobs due to the economy or for various other reasons? I would bet there are plenty of single parents out there scraping by week to week, paycheck to paycheck. How can you be so sure this is not their vacation of a lifetime.

On our cruise on the Jewel in February there was a 15 year old boy who was...and I will quote from my compass, "He is our Make A Wish child. Royal Caribbean International has partnered with MAW foundation to provide a vacation of a lifetime for Josh. If you see him around, give him a warm hello." I know from a friend with a child that had leukemia that you don't get on that Make a Wish list unless you a very, very ill. More often than not...terminally ill.

So please tell me again.......how a silly cruise could possibly be a vacation of a lifetime. I would bet my last breath that to this young boy and his parents this was indeed a vacation of a lifetime and that they will cherish those memories until the day they die.

For you to suggest to just suck it up and drive 50 miles and get a hotel for $60 I have to laugh. You are kidding.....right? And then what do they do? I know when my husband and I fly down with our 3 kids the day before our cruise we easily blow a couple hundred dollars. With cab fares, tips every time you turn around, eating out every meal it adds up quickly. For someone who is not as fortunate as you this could really put a huge dent in the pocketbook.

What about the people that have certain time they can take off work. If that was the week of my "one week vacation" regardless of whether I got a full refund, I still shot my one week.

I will say I feel for these people. I would be disappointed. I would bitch about it. I might even shed a tear or two. I know how much effort I put into our vacations so that we have wonderful memories. I think they have already had enough letdown because of the entire situation. Is it really necessary to poor a little more salt into their wounds?

Nice! Can't wait for an umbrella drink....or 2 or 3 :D

Royal Caribbean sells a drink book & we bought one a few years back. Every once in while we make one of the drinks and write the date in the book. It's lots of fun before & after the cruise.

Reeran, I was scheduled for the 4/23 cruise. I opted for the full refund. SInce I live in the New Orleans area, I did not occur any airline or hotel costs. I was bummed about the cruise and angry about RCL's paltry offer of compensation for those who took the cruise. However, I'm over it.

That said, I found the posts made by FIsherlady48, CruisinMaterial and yourself to be insensitive. The folks on the 4/23 cruise who are stuck for airline and lodging costs are feeling saddened about the shortened cruise and angry about the costs. Instead of some sympathy (or at least choosing not to reply), they got "I told you so" messages from the three of you about travel insurance and the RCL Passenger Contract. Some may have not purchased travel insurance or it may not be comprehensive. They probably know this now without the repeated reminders from the three of you.

Hey Pablo... maybe you should have kept reading the thread. I said enough was enough and left the argument realizing that some including yourself were entirely missing the point of who had control of the situation.

I empathize with the people who see their cruise experience being tarnished by the delayed ship. However, from a LEGAL perspective, you and other 4/23 sailors really don't have any recourse based on the passenger contract. Too many people sign things or get involved in things that they do not comprehend or choose not to read in many instances, not just the passenger contract but other legal agreements such as car leases, etc. That's my point and has been all along and that is why you need travel insurance. Valid point, plus as I mentioned later that I myself had had enough of the bickering and just wanted it all to end on three subsequent postings and happily welcoming GOS back to NOLA. So my advice to you is (A) don't lie because you posted here again starting more bickering and you're not over it and (B) watch who you libel on these boards and © read thoroughly next time! :mad:

Enough is enough folks.

The ship is back, they returned safely and they made the news up here in New England (WHDH-TV for those of you who are local). We should thank Cindy and Cathy for taking the time out of their leisure schedules and I think if the lack of compensation still needs to be addressed by posters, form your own thread and take it there. It doesn't belong here any more. Lets save the rest of the space on this thread for people's pictures of the situation.

And there wasn't a single day that went by where we didn't hear somone saying they got ripped off because we skipped Costa Maya! The most accepted reason was RCCL wanted us to spend our money on the ship! No 2 was the Captain was incompetent because if the Princess ship could dock, he could have.
This just about sums it up, doesn't it? On any ship, on any cruise, there are bound to be a whole lot of people who are convinced that they know better than the experts and could do/could have done better than them. :rolleyes: No matter what the ship does, no matter how sensible it was, there will always be people who think that someone is out to rip them off.

How do people like that survive in life? And why do they bother to do business with these terrible companies. Beats me.

This just about sums it up, doesn't it? On any ship, on any cruise, there are bound to be a whole lot of people who are convinced that they know better than the experts and could do/could have done better than them. :rolleyes: No matter what the ship does, no matter how sensible it was, there will always be people who think that someone is out to rip them off.

How do people like that survive in life? And why do they bother to do business with these terrible companies. Beats me.

Amen & pass the umbrellie drinks!!:D

Hmmm... only 27 more days until my umbrellie drinks! :p

Here you go...

A Little Dinghy

(this is what we will be cruising on if the welds don't hold)

Ingredients:

Mixing instructions:

Pour the shots into a glass of ice. Then fill the glass with equal parts orange juice, cranberry juice, and pineapple juice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge, an orange slice, and an umbrella.

Kids....do try this at home!!!:p

CruisinMaterial:

We should thank Cindy and Cathy for taking the time out of their leisure schedules

Amen to that! :D

Now, let's grab those drinks, stop dissagreeing to agree, (or the other way around), toss this thread in the shredder, and have some fun on another thread, (take the "oops poll" for instance) :D

LOL

Hmmm... only 27 more days until my umbrellie drinks!

Lucky duck. We have many more sleeps till our cruise... :(

I don't do rum well. Make me a vodka one :)

The news did a very poor job showing the place where the hole was on the ship. There was some cargo ships going back and forth loading stuff on and off so I couldn't see the cover up very well. Did anyone get pictures?? :confused:

Here you go...

A Little Dinghy

(this is what we will be cruising on if the welds don't hold)

Ingredients:

Mixing instructions:

Pour the shots into a glass of ice. Then fill the glass with equal parts orange juice, cranberry juice, and pineapple juice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge, an orange slice, and an umbrella.

Kids....do try this at home!!!:p

Thanks for the teaser! Can't wait to try it!

Reeran...how did you get the picture posted so big? That's really cool! On another thread, we are wondering how the pictures of the ship were able to be posted so large. Any idea? Would really love to know. Largest any of us have been able to post is 280 pixels wide....turns out pretty small. What's the secret?:)

cac

If the biggest disappointment in your life is that your cruise vacation is shortened by 2 days than you have had a lucky life. What about the mom whose daughter is in a coma because she was hit by a car due to sun in someone's eyes who didn't see her for 2 seconds not 2 days or what about the boyfriend who missed his subway train by 2 minutes on 9-11. Time is different for every person at every moment. Yes it sucks that a planned vacation is shortened & yes maybe the compensation isn't fair but there are worse things in life. I would gladly give up 2 days for 2 more hours of ........alot of things. And yes, I have the opportunity to cruise or vacation more than once a year, but it is not like RCI chose this to happen, but it did & like I said in the beginning, if this is the worst thing in your life-God bless you! I'd take your disappointment in a heartbeat!

Wendy

Archived