ES vs. Past Guest

tree.critter

I'm getting ready to book a balcony for Jan. sailing 2013 and the past guest rate is only $50 more than ES. The PG rate includes upgrades. Seems to me that this would be a good value. Can I book PG rate and leave roommate to be determined later? Might make the decision easier.

That is what we did for the October cruise I have booked. Used PG and only one name. When I did that we were about 70% sure we were going then and wanted to hold a certain room. Now we are over 90%, but will change to ES if its better as soon as we are 100% and then add DW to the booking.

Most times ES is a good bit cheaper than PG. But my for my Oct sailing mentioned above right now. ES is only $10 per cabin less(for a high deck) due to the upgrades included with PG and not ES.

What upgrades are included pg that aren't in es?

There is no set answer, depends on what cruise you have booked and what sales are on at the time.

Pretend to book whichever cruise you are interested in and see what is offered. It will say 4A to 4G free upgrade for instance, but the rate will be higher than booking a rate with no upgrades usually.

What upgrades are included pg that aren't in es?

When I booked past guest recently it gave me a few deck upgrade. To me, that is relatively unimportant, but past guest was no longer available.

IMO, early saver is better as long as your plans are firm. If there is a lower rate later on, you can get credit. You don't get that for PG. If PG is lower than ES, book ES, then apply for the rate reduction!

Is it fairly easy to change a cruise date if we book Past Guest?

Husband and I are wanting to book the Dream for the fall, and we're pretty sure on the date we want to go, but he'll be job searching in a month or two so we want to be able to postpone (or move up) if we have to due to work.

It's so hard to find information like this on the Carnival website :(

Thanks for the help:) Traveling partner is up in the air, going to go ahead and book PG and see how the rates are when I figure out who's going with me. Checking out the upgrades now, looking to see what's happening in the suites as pg now too! Would be a first for me.

Is it fairly easy to change a cruise date if we book Past Guest?

Husband and I are wanting to book the Dream for the fall, and we're pretty sure on the date we want to go, but he'll be job searching in a month or two so we want to be able to postpone (or move up) if we have to due to work.

It's so hard to find information like this on the Carnival website :(

If you are making the change before the final payment date of what you have booked, there shouldn't be any problem. Under all rates other than Early Saver, the deposits are fully refundable up to the final payment date. If you've got a type of room you're really wanting, keep in mind that what you would be switching to might be sold out of that type of room by the time you make the switch. And I don't know if they just simply transfer the deposit, or if you get the original deposits refunded then put down new deposits on the new cruise. Either way, there is no penalty, as long as it's before the final payment date.

If I was sure that we were going that week would just book ES and than hope fare goes down .

Less complicated and if fares go up you lose if you take past guest.

OP says they are unsure of the 2nd pax.. doesnt sound set in stone to me.

Its really not that hard to change rates.

In fact I have booked TWO different rates on the same booking. We booked 2 at ES, because I was sure I was going, 2nd pax was my sister and booked a 3rd pax past guest .. on the same booking, same cabin, and sure enough 3rd pax cancelled.

I would rather have my PVP do a little work to protect me than be sorry.

Thanks for the help:) Traveling partner is up in the air, going to go ahead and book PG and see how the rates are when I figure out who's going with me. Checking out the upgrades now, looking to see what's happening in the suites as pg now too! Would be a first for me.

Just remember, if the rate goes down after you've made final payment, you will not get the new rate. That seems to be the major upset on the boards, that folks who don't book ES see the rate tumble and are SOL. If they are going to drop rates, it typically comes after final payment because those who are going to cancel last minute typically wait until the last day before final payment is due, to do so. Once that happens and the cruiselines see how many rooms are then left to fill, they begin to drop rates. Also keep in mind if the rate for the next type room drops to equal or less than your current rate (for example, the OV's drop to the price of an IS) then you can upgrade up to 2 days prior to sailing, for nothing.

Past guest rate is good, as long as you are ok with knowing that after final payment is made, you are done with anymore discounts or upgrades (free).

Archived