Riedel Workshop

wsb225

Has anyone been on the Riedel Workshop? Its is $82.00 per package. I will be on th Eclipse on March 10th.

Looking for any feedback. Thanks

In 2007, Riedel Crystal teamed up with Celebrity Cruises® to offer guests a unique and authentic experience - Riedel Comparative Wine Glass Workshop. Celebrity offers cruising enthusiasts the opportunity to participate in an hour-long workshop led by a highly trained team of sommeliers. As stated by Maximilian Riedel, CEO of Riedel Crystal, "What could be more pleasurable than learning about wine on one of the world's premier cruise ships?"

Throughout this fascinating seminar wines are compared and transferred into each glass to illustrate how the shape of a glass affects the flavor and perception of every sip. Guests enjoy tasting four different varietals and their matching stemware; Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Guests who attend a Riedel Comparative Wine Glass Workshop onboard a Celebrity ship receive a set of Riedel tasting glasses to take home with them.

Riedel Crystal is known worldwide for designing the most finely tuned drinking instruments for every level of wine sophistication. And Celebrity Cruises is pleased to serve guests wine in such luxurious glassware while at sea.

For information visit http://www.celebritycruises.com

I have and it was terrific... one of those educational moments that has impacted everything from my understanding of how the glass is shaped impacts the wine's "delivery" to the nose and mouth to how I enjoy wine with my husband when it is just the two of us, to how I prepare for and host a party. I recommend the workshop to you. We still have all of our glasses - we had to take a flight home from our sailing 2 years ago, but the glasses were so well wrapped there were no issues -- and added additional to it to serve the wines we most frequently enjoy.

I did on the Eclipse last fall. I didn't do the combo wine and glasses package but just the wine tasting. I think it was about $17 per person. At that time the company had a problem producing the glasses so Celebrity didn't have enough to sell.

I found the class so very interesting. Back home I purchased a few sets.

Monica

I have and it was terrific... one of those educational moments that has impacted everything from my understanding of how the glass is shaped impacts the wine's "delivery" to the nose and mouth to how I enjoy wine with my husband when it is just the two of us, to how I prepare for and host a party. I recommend the workshop to you. We still have all of our glasses - we had to take a flight home from our sailing 2 years ago, but the glasses were so well wrapped there were no issues -- and added additional to it to serve the wines we most frequently enjoy.

We enjoyed it very much - and instead of taking the glasses with us, they gave us certificates to order them online after we got home. Much easier! We use the glasses all the time - and it does make a difference.

Is it necessary to purchase the workshop in advance or are you able to purchase on board? Any advantage to waiting? Thanks

You can wait and purchase onboard. Our workshop was not that crowded so doubt they sell out very often. Agree with the other posters -- it's educational and very worthwhile. I always thought the idea of a glass changing the taste of wine was a placebo effect but this workshop made me a believer. We had our two sets of glasses shipped home and enjoy them often. Bob

I enjoy wine, but my partner does not... would this (being its a class/learning experience) be of any interest to him? He doesn't drink much but I'm trying to get him to like wine :D

I think the workshop is a little expensive if your partner doesn't like wine. I'd suggest first trying one of the less expensive wine tastings offered on-board, then, if your partner is really enjoying the wine, decide if you want to spring for the Riedel workshop.

My husband and I have done a simple wine tasting offered in the dining room (nominal fee), an around-the-world tasting event outside the wine bar (Vines? slightly higher fee), and then the Riedel workshop. We enjoyed all of them, but the Riedel was the most educational and informative. We love our glasses and, like others, have gone on to buy additional sets.

We did the Riedel comparison a few weeks ago on the Infinity and I think it was only $15.00 pp because they didn't have the glasses to purchase. We signed up a couple of days before and there weren't a lot of people in attendance. My DH really thought it was a lot of bunk until he participated. It's amazing how much impact the glasses have on the flavour and aroma of the wine.

We also did the Saboring at sea. That was also fun. We tasted several sparkling wines and champagnes.

Talk to your Sommelier on board early in the cruise and find out what events they have on offer. They are very reasonable priced and very informative...plus they taste great.:D

I think the workshop is a little expensive if your partner doesn't like wine. I'd suggest first trying one of the less expensive wine tastings offered on-board, then, if your partner is really enjoying the wine, decide if you want to spring for the Riedel workshop.

My husband and I have done a simple wine tasting offered in the dining room (nominal fee), an around-the-world tasting event outside the wine bar (Vines? slightly higher fee), and then the Riedel workshop. We enjoyed all of them, but the Riedel was the most educational and informative. We love our glasses and, like others, have gone on to buy additional sets.

Just a word of caution about the wine tastings offered on the ship. For the most part, IMO, the wines are low end like the $2 Chuck offerings. I have been to several and never found a wine that I would buy. So don't depend on them to help your partner learn to like wine. Would be better to talk to the sommelier and tell him/her that you want to try a wine that a person new to wine could enjoy.

We participated Riedel workshop on Solstice November and I think it wasn't worth the money. They had selected wrong wines for Vinum glasses. They should have had Vinum XL glasses for new world wines.

Compared to actual Riedel tasting held by Maximilian Riedel that Celebrity version was a really poor one.

Archived