Geocaching in Alaska

sprint180

We didnt go, but while on our Yukon Jeep excursion out of Skagway, we made a quick stop for one of the members in our group. No even sure what he found, but I know he was happy to have said he picked something up on his Alaska trip.

The stop was after we crossed the boarder.

Yes, we geocached last year on our Alaska trip. It was a blast! We first learned of geocaching on this web site! It led to a lot of fun. We got one find in every port and did a week land tour afterwards and got quite a few in Anchorage and the Kenai peninsula. There were some great hides. Research it and do it!:)

Has anyone gone geocaching in the ports in Alaska? Just trying to find something inexpensive and fun to do.

thanks

I am assuming you are aware of the geocaching website already. It is something that is neat and it is a bit strange to think of the fact that this game exists right under people's noses and they have no idea at all. If you think this is something you want to do, then I'd recommend making a few hunts by your home first so you can get an idea how things are hid and to get used to your GPS if you aren't already.

There is also a similar "game" that is basically the same as geocaching called waymarking (not sure if that is the proper term...I don't play this game, I just know it exists). The website is http://www.waymarking.com. Instead of finding caches, you are looking for things like plaques, historical sites, and unique points of interest. Some of the entries are a bit "boring" like post offices and fire trucks. You have to sort through what you think it cool or not...

I just thought I'd bring up the other option. I like geocaching personally.

We did it on our private tour out of Skagway with Becky of Beyond Skagway. Our kids were 7 and 10 and loved it! It added an additional element to their memories of the day and of the Yukon.

Yes I often wonder how many I have walked by and didn't even realize were there. We go to Rapid City SD where my sister lives and there are literally hundreds in the area. It is always a good time.

Yes, we have geocached all over the world when we go on vacation. Alaska does not have good cell service, so a GPS device would be needed. I also have the iPhone app but it will only work when there is service.

As others have said, there's plenty of geocaches here! Specifically in Ketchikan there are at least 10-12 in the downtown walking area that range from micros to travel bug hotels to multis that take you to the totem poles for clues to really, really challenging ones! As Realmccoy suggested, bring your GPS with you and load it up with the coordinates before you leave. I have personally placed about 6 caches in Ketchikan and am constantly amazed how often they are found! Good luck and happy caching!

I had never even heard of geocaching so I Googled it and it sounds like such fun. Is there a web site where one can learn more about how to do it and geocache locations?

geocaching.com is the geocaching website. Creating an account is free. Once you have an account, you can get coordinates to go find caches (which are typically the size of a pill bottle, Tupperware container, or ammo can). There are also some great sections of the website that explain the basics behind geocaching (Geocaching 101 they call it I see).

IMHO, it does take a little time to get used to the geocaching.com website, but hang in there. As you gain experience surfing their site, it becomes quite easy to find what you are looking for.

It is a neat little world.

Edited by slider728

I think the best web site is geocaching.com. Try it and see. You do not even have to be a paid member to use it. However, the $10 a year is well worth it to me! It gives maps to all over the world to find the caches.

To me, the best cache we found in Alaska was in Skagway before you get to the town by the river. Then again, the one across the street from the Anchorage police station was just great, oh and the one in the visitor center....right there in front of everyone! They are all good.:)

I think the best web site is geocaching.com. Try it and see. You do not even have to be a paid member to use it. However, the $10 a year is well worth it to me!

Actually, a premium membership at geocaching.com is (US) $10 for three months, and $30 a year. But for anyone who does decide to get at all serious about it, you'll find it's difficult to get very far for very long without the premium membership features.

• 2 years later...

There's this thread on the Geocaching Forums for caching in the Pacific Northwest: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263288

And here's a bookmarked list of caches that a geocaching group hit while cruising a few years ago: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=beb59a5a-b055-46ba-b251-ff6a18fced63

And a couple of more lists:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=a6164c27-454f-488b-8d96-fef43d239849

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=dbe4ea90-33b2-4f3c-b133-8f68a577fb91

These posts are all a few years old. I am cruising to Alaska in May 2015 and wondered if anyone has an geocaches they can name. I looked on the website but can't tell how far from cruise ports they are.

Also, which ports will you be geocaching at?