Ripping apart Rick Steves

IndyDenise

I take pictures of the pages that I need on my iphone. Then I can zoom out to make the text and maps larger.

The best thing we did in Venice was listen to Rick's Grand Canal tout as we cruised from the port to San Marco with one bud in my ear and one in my husband's. Very romantic.

Just for balance, my experience with the Pompeii tour was wonderful. We found it easy to follow and more interesting than the tour guide hired by our tour company! I'm sorry to hear that it was so frustrating for you. That can take some of the fun out of the experience.

Fair enough. Like I said, we've probably done 10 Rick Steves audio tours and the Pompeii one was probably the only one that didn't work out. In addition, you didn't mention whether you were comparing apples to apples (i.e., a family of 4 with 4 iPods). In addition, they had run out of the full size maps even though we got to the entrance more or less first thing in the morning, so there was just a general brochure that showed the layout of the site, but didn't have the roads named. Rick's tour is heavy on "walk along via XXX until you get to via YYY, and then turn right". Since the roads aren't marked with street signs (or at least not ones that matched) and we didn't have a map, it was a giant, frustrating guessing game.

they had run out of the full size maps even though we got to the entrance more or less first thing in the morning, so there was just a general brochure that showed the layout of the site, but didn't have the roads named. Rick's tour is heavy on "walk along via XXX until you get to via YYY, and then turn right". Since the roads aren't marked with street signs (or at least not ones that matched) and we didn't have a map, it was a giant, frustrating guessing game.

It's too late now to help you, but for others reading this you can print out a good map of Pompei with street names and locations for the major buildings here: http://www.unicocampania.it/files/mappe/mappa_scavi.pdf

I felt guilty about ripping apart this wonderful book where I learned so much info.!:D

Don't feel guilty about ripping the book up. I just started reading it and on page 4 he says: "I won't be offended if you destroy this book (I do the same thing myself) as long as you promise to have a great trip. My favorite pre-trip ritual: attacking a book with a stapler and packing tape to create pocket-sized mini-guidebooks for each port of call."

I regularly take large guide books and disassemble them to take only the pages that apply to places I'm traveling. I'm sure I'll be doing the same with Rick's Mediterranean book.....and doing so with his permission! :D

• 1 month later...

Great, great idea - why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: I'll be ripping mine up too! Love the idea of a zip-able planner too!

My planner is complete now. I added postings ( from here and trip advisor ) , maps from the internet, notes, etc..everything hole punched and put in order of ports.

I bought some binder clips so I can remove the info from the book and travel with just those pages, tossing them as I go.

It's been fun making my book, doing the research, and planning my trip. It will be quite sad to open it up and see it empty , which I will do 3 weeks from today ( I travel May 15-29 )

Denise

Denise

Just bought this book for my Kindle last night and quick navigation from the table of contents.

In addition, I've also brought along a notebook to record my cruise journal, but as I type faster than I can write, I always get fed up half way through.

So last night, I signed up to a blog site, set it to private and tested using my Kindle ( it's a 3G with keyboard). So when at port, or close to it, I can type my journal to my heart's content. No more indecipherable scribbling.

Copies are the way I go like many others. Tearing a book apart would work but I use mainly library materiels. Books are too heavy and any thing electronic distracts me from what I spent alot of time and money to see and experience.

I put Steves' Mediterranean Cruise guide, as well as his Croatis and Slovenia tour Guide and Frommers Italy on my KindleFire, plus several smaller travel guides that were super cheap (like 1.99)! I used to take 2-3 of these big and heavy books on every trip, and now the Kindle fits in my side compartment of my purse.I am hoping this will really lighten my lugggage load. I love it!!!

With its easy to access carousel, table of contents for each book, and lots of highlighting and bookmarks, I am hoping it will be as easy to find what I am looking for as my old bookmarsk, tabs and paperclip method!

I'm a research freak! Before going to Europe each year, I go onto many websites (especially http://www.virtual tourist.com and http://www.tripadvisor.com) and copy and paste port info I want/need into a Word document for my next cruise. I separate these documents into "What to do in "X" port" and, after editing it down, I send each port's info to my Kindle as a document. I will not require wi-fi to view these. It's basically the same thing as having parts of a guide book except you chose what to include and from what source. In the past, before the advent of Kindle Fire, I have gone to the library and copied pages I needed from guide books. Same idea. Just take those pages along in a binder or send to your IPAD, Kindle Fire, or other devices. Without a device, just take each port and pack only that day's research with you. Toss these papers when done for the day.

Hope this is helpful.

Can I just say as well, that as a Brit, I'd never heard of Rick Steves before coming onto this site. But I kept hearing his name and that he had written a Med Cruise book. Since downloading I've thoroughly enjoyed and wanted to say a big thanks. Don't think i'll abandon my DK Eyewitness guides but I'll definitely be taking my Kindle and Rick with me. His little flashes of irreverent humour, brighten up the research.

Archived