Thinking of showing up to the port with bags packed.

packard89

Absolutely incorrect. 60 minutes as reported in a post above mine is correct.

Please read my post a little closer. 60 minutes applies to being checked in. That's not what I was talking about. The question by the Op is whether they can just show up at the pier. The answer is no. The cruise lines close their bookings 72 hours prior to sailing.

The 48/72 hour "rule" is not a rule...yes they want the manifest but really that only closes an hour before

You could : call Carnival (and other cruise lines) direct and keep calling and see what you can get the day before *2 days before/day before whatever

This is not correct. As I stated, cruises embarking out of the U.S. close their bookings 72 hours before sailing. You cannot book a new cruise 1 or 2 days before sailing. That is a rule that went in to effect a couple years ago.

So are you guys saying that if you forget your edocs at home you are not going to be able to cruise?

That really doesn't make sense - surely the cruise line has a list of passengers who have paid fares, and if you have your passport/other photo ID they would be able to look you up.

I booked the morning of a cruise .. no problems with check in. Never heard of anyone who did have problems.

OP you have to call .. cant show up, but you can book last minute by calling on the telephone if there are open cabins.

There's an idea, the morning of. Thank you!

Please read my post a little closer. 60 minutes applies to being checked in. That's not what I was talking about. The question by the Op is whether they can just show up at the pier. The answer is no. The cruise lines close their bookings 72 hours prior to sailing.

This is not correct. As I stated, cruises embarking out of the U.S. close their bookings 72 hours before sailing. You cannot book a new cruise 1 or 2 days before sailing. That is a rule that went in to effect a couple years ago.

Someone on CC just posted a review of a cruise thast he booked the night before the cruise. His check in was a lengthy one...had to do the whole check in process. And his S&S cards had the wrong names on them...he had to wait for new ones to be printed.

My friends who cruised with us out of Jaxport did not do the online check in or print out docs and they were ok. I think that the ports just check your ID when entereing the port and make sure you're on the manifest.

So are you guys saying that if you forget your edocs at home you are not going to be able to cruise?

That really doesn't make sense - surely the cruise line has a list of passengers who have paid fares, and if you have your passport/other photo ID they would be able to look you up.

That's right.

That's right.

The problem is getting in to the commercial port at PE. You need your documentation to get through the gate. The gate guard does not have the manifests. However, not having the printed passes does not mean you won't get through as long as you have your government issued IDs. However, you may be a litlle more subject to scrutiny, meaning vehicle search.

I booked the morning of a cruise .. no problems with check in. Never heard of anyone who did have problems.

When did you do that? Last year, I took a 5 night cruise and tried to stay aboard as a B2B for the following 4 night. They had rooms available, but I was told I could not do this because it was under 72 hours until the next cruise. Because it was under 72 hours, reservations were closed. They told me if I would have tried to extend on the first day, I could have done it.

To the Op, I suggest calling the cruise line and asking what the rule is. From what I was told, I believe you can't do it within 72 hours of the cruise.

When did you do that? Last year, I took a 5 night cruise and tried to stay aboard as a B2B for the following 4 night. They had rooms available, but I was told I could not do this because it was under 72 hours until the next cruise. Because it was under 72 hours, reservations were closed. They told me if I would have tried to extend on the first day, I could have done it.

To the Op, I suggest calling the cruise line and asking what the rule is. From what I was told, I believe you can't do it within 72 hours of the cruise.

That sounds like lazy crew. The only TSA rule is that the cruise line must submit a final manifest 60 minutes (may be 90 minutes) before departure.

In 2009 we were offered a very steep discount on disembarkation day to stay aboard for another week on Norwegian Pearl in Miami. Sadly, we had to decline for work reasons.

That said, I wouldn't just walk up to the terminal on departure day. You should at least call to see if cabins are available first.

the two cruises i did from the port of ny worked like this:

you showed your govt id to the port security to enter the terminal. At the terminal, there was a check in person checking your edocs and tell which checkin line to get in. If you did not had edocs, you had to see a customer service rep who will mostly likely verify your on the ship and print you out a pair of docs for checkin

the two cruises i did from the port of ny worked like this:

you showed your govt id to the port security to enter the terminal. At the terminal, there was a check in person checking your edocs and tell which checkin line to get in. If you did not had edocs, you had to see a customer service rep who will mostly likely verify your on the ship and print you out a pair of docs for checkin

I have not had any documents a couple of times.

They had a printed list of names.

It was not a big deal.

In January of this year I checked Carnival's website and it showed a couple of cabins had opened up two days before sail date. The ship left on Thursday afternoon and the cabins opened up on Tuesday night about 10:00pm. A friend of mine got a cabin for $199.00 per person last minute. I spoke with my husband when he got in from work early Wednesday morning and we decided to give it a go. I called Carnival Wednesday morning and they were of course booked up. However, I did ask the Carnival rep. and he told me that if there had been an available cabin I would have been able to book. Again, this was the day before. I am wondering if it all really depends on the cruise line, port, and the person you speak with on the phone. And by the way, I sail out of Galveston. Just my limited experience with this and wanted to share.

Vicki

Has anyone ever done that? I've heard of people not having a cruise booked and being able to hop on a ship just paying port charges and tax. Tell me about it.......

Thanks.

There's another thread that talks about this- they called their PVP, got a last minute booking (within 2 hours), filled out their info on-line, & met the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1585926

Sorry but that is not true. We could have done it in September, 2011 but the prices were higher than the next cruise so we didn't do it. We called the morning of the cruise. We are retired and in Florida so it would not have been a problem to get to the ship.

Sorry but that is not true. We could have done it in September, 2011 but the prices were higher than the next cruise so we didn't do it. We called the morning of the cruise. We are retired and in Florida so it would not have been a problem to get to the ship.

I may have to recant a little on my statement. I know there is a 72 hour rule that from what I have heard, seems to be skirted by Carnival. I have some CBP friends, so I'll see if I can get the correct info on that.

One thing I do know is that you cannot just show up at the pier like you used to years ago.

Archived