confused which tour should we do

akruz

We have three choices: Lawrence of Antigua, tourguidegordon, voyages of Antigua.

Comments on any of the above or suggestion which operator to use and the tour you took.

tourguide gordon has a shorter tour of the island and a longer tour. Has anyone taken the budget island tour.

we like seeing the beach but at this time do not want to spend alot of time at a beach. (no swimming or snorkel)

Thank you for assisting us in a decision.

I realize you want to book a tour in advance, so this may not help, but you may find it a good story if nothing else. While my information may be dated as the cruise that this took place on was several years ago, I believe from an article that I read recently that the operator involved is still doing this. When we were in Antiqua, we walked of the ship with no plans but to find a way to explore the island. We were approached by a number of drivers all wanting our business, but one in particular seemed quite genuine and offered to take us around the island all day for a very reasonable sounding rate. We took a chance and spent the morning driving around a good part of the island including the fort on the top of one of the mountains with a view that is phenomenal. We then returned to the ship for lunch and then he took us to a near by local's beach for the afternoon. He gave a blow by blow history of the island as he drove and made it a very personal experience. Total charge for 6 of us in his van? $100! I gave him a $25 tip at the end. (Should have given him more!)

His name was Dennis Friday, and we refered him to other family members who used him - right off the dock - as well on a subsequent cruise. He is very well known there and if you ask for him, you will find him - unless of course he already has another lucky fare! True story.

I realize you want to book a tour in advance, so this may not help, but you may find it a good story if nothing else. While my information may be dated as the cruise that this took place on was several years ago, I believe from an article that I read recently that the operator involved is still doing this. When we were in Antiqua, we walked of the ship with no plans but to find a way to explore the island. We were approached by a number of drivers all wanting our business, but one in particular seemed quite genuine and offered to take us around the island all day for a very reasonable sounding rate. We took a chance and spent the morning driving around a good part of the island including the fort on the top of one of the mountains with a view that is phenomenal. We then returned to the ship for lunch and then he took us to a near by local's beach for the afternoon. He gave a blow by blow history of the island as he drove and made it a very personal experience. Total charge for 6 of us in his van? $100! I gave him a $25 tip at the end. (Should have given him more!)

His name was Dennis Friday, and we refered him to other family members who used him - right off the dock - as well on a subsequent cruise. He is very well known there and if you ask for him, you will find him - unless of course he already has another lucky fare! True story.

Thanks for the story and I guess that would be an option and than again he might have another lucky fare. Thanks.

I know that really wasn't much help but reading your post just reminded me of it - just one of those impromptu things that happened which made the day great. Enjoy whatever you work out - great island!

I truly appreciated the story and am certainly giving it thought. Some of the best things do not have to always be preplanned. So thank you as I enjoyed it. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I researched both Gordon and Lawrence.

Found the Lawrence was more accomodating to our needs as far as what we wanted to see.

We sail March 24th on the Freedom. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

I don't think you will - we just got back and he was great:D:D Enjoy your cruise:)

Archived