Wow...that was wierd....

Lady, you are very gracious.

Your situation has really touched a cord with me - I'm an aft or nothing kind of gal so I don't think I would have been quite as accomodating as you.

You have made a very kind gesture and I'm sure the God of Karma will send you the aft of your dreams very soon, infact I think that RCI should give you first dibs on the aft of your choice when the new itineraries are released. It wouldn't cost them anything, infact they'd gain from it - good PR and a sale so I don't see why not?

Given your lovely nature and positive outlook I am sure you will enjoy your cruise wherever your cabin is. Enjoy your GS!

I have been following every post of this thread with great interest. . as this same situation happened to us about 5 or so years ago. We were in Nancy's shoes. It had to do with a RCI computer glitch with Canadian bookings only ( a long story) but it affected 100's and 100's of bookings from next day departures to a year and more out, on all ships. It was in short a fiasco.

We were affected by this and did not discover we were ousted from our hump JS to a D1 forward balcony room until less than 2 wks prior to sailing. Needless to say we were livid - and the reply back from RCI at that time was they could not/would not expect the new tenants of the cabin to move. They called and asked and they refused. They could not upgrade us either as the ship was fully booked!

IMHO RCI handles this situation terribly. If they had the spine to admit to their mistakes, things like this could be averted immediately.

RCI should have called the new tenants of the cabin and tell them due to an error on their part, "you were booked into a cabin ALREADY OCCUPIED by someone else". "We regret this inconvenience and would like to offer you a) upgrade b) OBC etc". If you were told you were in a cabin already occupied, it's doubtful you would dig in and fight for it. You may be PO'd that this mistake happened, but would be more or less pleased that RCI owned up to the error and made good with some restitution.

The fact they even mention anything about one party to another is deplorable - as in "some one on a B2B would like that cabin." That shouldn't even come in to play. No one passenger should "owe" another passenger anything.

It would be an interesting thread done in reverse . . RCI ousted me out of my cabin and won't get it back!!

btw - our outcome - we ended up changing ships altogether and getting a generous upgrade, but it took lots of chewing up the food chain.

I also book very early so I can get a specific cabin and/or location. I can only imagine how upset Nancy was when she noticed the cabin change AND how upset Island Lady was when she received the phone call from RCI.:( To me, this was settled in the way it should have been since it appears the error was made by the cruiseline. As hard as it has to have been for IL to move, I believe a cabin should "belong" to the person who booked it first unless there are extenuating circumstances...an accessible cabin booked by someone sho doesn't need it or a capacity issue are the only real justifiable reasons I can think of.

I do think Royal Caribbean compounded the problem in their initial call to IL by making it appear that a later booking was going to be on a B2B and wanted both legs to be in IL's cabin when in actuality the B2B had been booked months before. Perhaps this thread would have had a very different title if RCI had owned up to the mistake from the initial phone call!

IL and Nancy, I hope both of you have a great cruise and perhaps can meet up on the ship and share a laugh! I hope your brother is doing well, Nancy! Island Lady, I hope one day you manage to book and keep the cabin of your dreams!:D

I've only read up to page 6 and will continue reading. Has anyone else considered this?

Maybe RCI could have offered the people on the b2b a GS? They already have 1100 for 1 cruise and they could have a suite for another?

I've only read up to page 6 and will continue reading. Has anyone else considered this?

Maybe RCI could have offered the people on the b2b a GS? They already have 1100 for 1 cruise and they could have a suite for another?

I don't think the B2B wanted the GS for the second leg, they wanted to stay in 1100 for the entire trip and not move

Id move from any where for an upgrade to a GS! LOL:D

IMHO RCI handles this situation terribly. If they had the spine to admit to their mistakes, things like this could be averted immediately.

RCI should have called the new tenants of the cabin and tell them due to an error on their part, "you were booked into a cabin ALREADY OCCUPIED by someone else". "We regret this inconvenience and would like to offer you a) upgrade b) OBC etc". If you were told you were in a cabin already occupied, it's doubtful you would dig in and fight for it. You may be PO'd that this mistake happened, but would be more or less pleased that RCI owned up to the error and made good with some restitution.

You have just posted 2 Key Words.

Thanks to everyone once again for the kind words. There are so many friends out

there that I still have not met face to face...but hope to someday! :)

To answer a few comments last night:

Yes, I am one of those "afters" and will designate "do not upgrade" when I have a choice

aft wrap booked. The best one by far is JS 1100. I have been in GS cabins before, and if that is what I would have wanted in the first place...that is what I would have booked.

It is all personal preference, and the DH and myself value those large balconies, the

serene quiet and pleasure of the location, and the mezmerizing beauty of the wake. We love the open air feel and the full sun on those balconies too. The ones in the middle

of the aft, like 1602, are more closed in with less sun and not open like the corners, . The whole reason I even booked this short cruise was because that cabin became available for booking, and would be a special treat for Valentines day.

I booked this cabin over a year in advance directly with RCI. I had a printed confimation from the booking page, a direct email confimation, and confirmed on my cruises page of which I monitor on a regular basis. I was told by the 2nd RCI rep that it was not me that made the mistake, and: "Are you really sure you want to give up this cabin? You don't have to because it is rightly your's".

It was my idea to give up the cabin to help out with the situation, not RCI. I did not really want to give up the cabin that I had booked directly online as an open cabin available. I could have kept the cabin (as my DH wanted to do), but I gave it up.

I just wanted to resolve a situation that was hurting one of our members (once I found out from her post that her reservation for this cabin was messed up by someone), and to do what I thought was a nice thing to do. Taking a lateral move to another less desirable JS cabin was not something I was interested in. That cabin I booked was the one I had been dreaming of for a long time. I gave it up this time, but someday in the future I may get lucky enough to book it again....and get to keep it this time.

Once again thank you to all of my friends for the nice comments. You made me very happy to call you friends. :)

And thanks Kathy, I agree I would like to move on with this. The situation was not caused by me...but I elected to fix it and end it.

Hope you all have a fantabulous cruise season!! :D

Archived