Rum Runner-Naughty Room

Just wondering in the past 30 days across the RCCL fleet if anyone has had rum runner success ? Anyone wind up in the naughty room ? I am not too cheap to buy a drink, but when getting ready for dinner, it is nice to pour a Dewars on the rocks and sit back and relax on MY balcony without having to leave my cabin to get a drink. I know there are plenty of folk that feel the same way !

Just wondering in the past 30 days across the RCCL fleet if anyone has had rum runner success ? Anyone wind up in the naughty room ? I am not too cheap to buy a drink, but when getting ready for dinner, it is nice to pour a Dewars on the rocks and sit back and relax on MY balcony without having to leave my cabin to get a drink. I know there are plenty of folk that feel the same way !

Have used them for the past three cruises with success. Pack them with similar objects, DW makeup, snorkel gear, tooth paste, inside shoes. Just don't put the Listerine in any of the luggage, carry that on and let them check it at the terminal. Good luck!

Gator... just only put one rum runner in each bag in a shoe. That way if they catch you, it will be just one gone.

I am not too cheap to buy a drink,

Remember that rum runners and their contents will not be returned. They will be discarded.

Since you are not too cheap to buy a drink, why not buy one without ice at any convenient time during the day and add the ice when you are ready?

We were on the Oasis 2-25-12 sailing and had 2 large rum runners and one smaller tucked into various spots without a problem. One thing I was surprised about is that I had a bottle of Coke with a bit 'o rum inside while waiting to board. When we approached the check in, I was looking for a trash can, expecting to not be able to take it on board. The woman rushing me to the scanner said "Keep moving, this isn't the airlines" and I carried my bottle of rum and Coke on board with me.

Walked right through security with a flask full of whiskey, no problem. We also got on with a litre of Appleton Rum after Jamaica without any problems. I kept trying to tell someone we bought it and turn it in but they were ushering us through so quickly they didn't want to listen! So we sat with a bottle of Appleton the rest of the cruise.

I have been using RR for many years now with success. The last time was December on the Mariner. One trick I learned was to put smaller RR in my deep shorts pockets and walk right through security and onto the ship. I do spread them among the checked luggage to increase my chances but never had a problem. RR work great.

Rum Runners - plastic bottle/pouch (like an IV bag at hospital). Very tough and transparent on x-ray. 1/2 liter and liter sizes (roughly). rum runner flasks dot com (all together).

My parents had no problems in January on Voyager.

Has RCI discontinued Bar room service?

Not that I am aware of but it is so slow as to be worthless and if wanting a nightcap on balcony in pajamas (or whatever) if it is really nice out and you want a second it means... wait forever for room service or get dressed and fetch own - which sort of spoils the mood. Have considered brining an empty traveler flask and pour in straight drinks during day to in effect make own bottle onboard but that's a hassle too. if only they would allow one bottle purchased onboard to go back to cabin it would be a great convenience and money maker for RCI too.

What are rum runners?

Sorry to as but I have never heard of them, I am from the UK.

Are they an American thing? say like a flask?:confused:

Hi Sue,

They are a plastic vacuum bag. You can buy them on ebay from a uk site

Rum Runners are clear plastic flasks that are supposed to not be visible to the xray screening machines they use. You can buy them online, and they come in a few different sizes. Have worked great for me, and I also recommend hiding them in shoes or with the snorkel equipment. I have also purchased rum in ports, showed it to them on boarding the ship, then simply walked past the tables where you are supposed to check it in with them. They are so busy in the late afternoon, they can't keep up.

I ordered mine last Wednesday and they arrived on Saturday. The reviews stated they ship asap. I got the "spring break package" for $32. If it works I will save approx. $26,000 on my bar bill..... (just kidding).

I used them in January on the Mariner OTS with no problems . I put a smaller one in each shoe, and two 32oz RR wrapped in my jeans. We also brought on two 12 packs of soda and a soft sided cooler with no problems. Our cabin attendant kept our cooler full of ice. With the wine at dinner, we still had a $650 bar tab, and brought 1/2 of the liquor home with us!

We had no problem with getting our Rum Runners "discovered". We did, however, have a problem with the actual Rum Runner. One of them apparently was defective, and leaked! It was a good think we had stored it inside a ziplock bag! :eek:

has anyone else had success in just carrying them on through the metal detector? we will be going during spring break so i'm sure everything will be heightened, but that also means many more people to check. wasn't sure if they pat you down like they do at stadiums, etc?

has anyone else had success in just carrying them on through the metal detector? we will be going during spring break so i'm sure everything will be heightened, but that also means many more people to check. wasn't sure if they pat you down like they do at stadiums, etc?

Metal detector is for guns a knives. But did catch me at St. Kitts with a small bottle of rum in my cargo shorts pocket that had a metal cap. But airline size bottles went through X-ray fine.

I have a monster parka (need it around here sometimes, but not this wierd year) with many deep pockets. But I suppose that would draw attention boarding in Miami. :rolleyes: Maybe save it for an early season Alaska cruise. :D

Never seen them pat anyone down but they do hand-wand my wife because rolling her wheelchair through the magnetic arch tends to make it go TILT.

On the Allure a couple weeks ago at the Falmouth stop, the security to get back on the ship was as bad as the TSA at airports. Workers were about as cordial as TSA as well.

After handing over my rum to the ships peeps for safe keeping I left the bldg and realized they never returned my Cruise Card. Turned around and tried to go back in the bldg and you would of thought I was a breaking into Fort Knox. Luckily the folks at the booze table brought it over.

As a side note, the ships duty free proved to be a better value then any of the ports. Compared Bacardi and Johnny Walker and ship was cheaper by a few scheckels.