This is absolutely the last time I purchase alcohol for somebody on a cruise

picklebongo

I should have learned my lesson about purchasing alcohol for friends when Carnival packed the wrong bottle in my box a couple of years ago. My "friend" refused to pay because it wasn't the liquor she had requested. Tonight my friend came to pick up her Crown Royal and the bottle is chipped at the opening. My friend refuses to drink it because she thinks there might be glass in the bottle, which may be true. But that leaves me out of $17.00 because she refuses to pay up.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.

I should have learned my lesson about purchasing alcohol for friends when Carnival packed the wrong bottle in my box a couple of years ago. My "friend" refused to pay because it wasn't the liquor she had requested. Tonight my friend came to pick up her Crown Royal and the bottle is chipped at the opening. My friend refuses to drink it because she thinks there might be glass in the bottle, which may be true. But that leaves me out of $17.00 because she refuses to pay up.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.

I don't blame you. I would have paid you for & used a strainer.;)

Kae

That's what I thought too, since it's only $17.00, but live and learn. I DID learn to open the boxes when they are delivered to the cabin to insure what's in the box is what I paid for. Plus it's a headache trying to lug stuff back in luggage. As I said previously, lesson learned.

I agree that your 'friend' may not truly be a good one!

Having been burnt before I am surprised you did not ask for the $$$ up front as a way of protecting yourself from these 'friends'! :(

I returned with eight bottles of alcohol valued at over $400 and all of the other stuff was received well and paid for. My friends who don't cruise appreciate the prices and I also bought six cartons of cigarettes for them. I only had one problem, but it was enough to sour me on doing this again. It's not worth the hassle.

Another interesting thing, the Newports in Grand Cayman were dirt cheap, cartons, averaging $2.31 per pack. Well, the cartons look the same as in the States, but when my friend opened them, the packs were so small they were laughable. So they must package things differently in various countries.

I also bought a diet Pepsi in one of the stores and it didn't taste the same as ones I'm accustomed to, though the can looked the same. It tasted slightly flat.

I also bought a diet Pepsi in one of the stores and it didn't taste the same as ones I'm accustomed to, though the can looked the same. It tasted slightly flat.

In Japan and in the middle east, our diet sodas were made with saccharine vs here in the states where they are made with aspartame. There is definitely a taste difference (among other things). In japan, on base, our sodas were labeled with a health warning with the risks of saccharine but off base and in the desert, no warning...

I learned that lesson several years back when a friend called at the last minute and asked me to pick up a bottle of perfume for her on the ship ($50). I told her I would drop it by her office and she was out. It took several weeks to get paid and I had to go and get the money from her - she didn't bring it. Now I understand that people may get short on funds from time to time, but you don't spend $50 on perfume when you are trying to make ends meet.

In Japan and in the middle east, our diet sodas were made with saccharine vs here in the states where they are made with aspartame. There is definitely a taste difference (among other things). In japan, on base, our sodas were labeled with a health warning with the risks of saccharine but off base and in the desert, no warning...

I just realized how totally off topic this was...OP, I would be happy to delete my post if you'd like. (I hate to just delete without saying anything cause I HATE when I reply to someone and later on their post is gone and then it makes no sense:) )

Interesting information. I didn't read the can, but the graphics were identical, so I was surprised by the taste variation, which was quite noticeable.

If you don't consider it Carnival's fault, why post it here?

I learned that lesson several years back when a friend called at the last minute and asked me to pick up a bottle of perfume for her on the ship ($50). I told her I would drop it by her office and she was out. It took several weeks to get paid and I had to go and get the money from her - she didn't bring it. Now I understand that people may get short on funds from time to time, but you don't spend $50 on perfume when you are trying to make ends meet.

At least you didn't get stuck with the fragrance. I don't even drink.

Archived