This is absolutely the last time I purchase alcohol for somebody on a cruise

picklebongo

Interesting information. I didn't read the can, but the graphics were identical, so I was surprised by the taste variation, which was quite noticeable.

On base, since it's made in the USA and shipped to us, it has a ciggarette style warning saying, "Warning, this product contains saccharine which has been known to cause cancer in labratory animals in clinical settings". Yet off base, where the sodas do NOT come directly from the USA, it's just listed as saccharine in the ingredient list where aspartame is in "our" diet sodas...

*ETA but the cans themselves are exactly identical and either had English ingredients, or English and japanese on them...*

If you don't consider it Carnival's fault, why post it here?

Now why did you have to go and do that? We were having a pleasant exchange and you had to go and toss a grenade in the middle of it.

I didn't know the rules stipulated everything posted had to be Carnival's fault. Did you note somebody else had a similar experience of purchasing something on a cruise and had a difficult time collecting? Just a heads up, beware sorta thing.

Come on...it's nothing to argue about, my word.

On base, since it's made in the USA and shipped to us, it has a ciggarette style warning saying, "Warning, this product contains saccharine which has been known to cause cancer in labratory animals in clinical settings". Yet off base, where the sodas do NOT come directly from the USA, it's just listed as saccharine in the ingredient list where aspartame is in "our" diet sodas...

*ETA but the cans themselves are exactly identical and either had English ingredients, or English and japanese on them...*

Interesting tidbit. You would think though that the warning would be provided for everybody, regardless to where the bottling took place.

*I am my own worst enemy and cannot stop trying to accidentally derail this topic apparently!!*

They don't consider saccharine to be a threat anymore (since the early 90s). But they haven't made it in typical Diet Sodas anymore cause it had a very distinct aftertaste (It's still in Tab). No one knows why Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke cans in Japan still have the warning...rumor is that we're drinking 20 year old sodas!

I returned with eight bottles of alcohol valued at over $400 and all of the other stuff was received well and paid for. My friends who don't cruise appreciate the prices and I also bought six cartons of cigarettes for them. I only had one problem, but it was enough to sour me on doing this again. It's not worth the hassle.

You bought $400 worth of booze for other people plus cigarettes!! I would say that you are an easy mark who is easily taken advantage of.

Dump the friends.

DON

Which is exactly what fine mesh strainers And cheesecloth were invented for! ;)

My Grandfather was a police officer in Long Beach in the 30s. After a massive earthquake in '33 he said all the drunks were in liquor stores mopping up the broken booze (all mixed together) with sponges and straining them through cheesecloths into a bucket. He was just too shocked to even object. Just left them alone. :D

You might want to look into finding better friends! I can't imagine being so rude to someone that was doing me a favor!

Agreed!! Sorry for your crazy bad luck, and hope your next cruise has no pressure to buy these type of friends liquor. :(

Would be 'ex friend'. I wouldn't worry about drinking the liquor. Any fragments (I would think) would settle to the bottom. Just don't shake it up, and be cautious towards the end of the bottle.

As another said "If the bottle wasn't leaking ......"

Sorry, but I would just inform that friend (did they ask or did you offer?) that my transportation fee would make that liquor cost higher than their local store.

And as for those cheap cigarettes, when will people realize they are most often not American tobacco. They don't even have the DOA seal. Yet they still have the global name.

And the soda? Depends where it's manufactured. They may even have real sugar in them! Some pay a premium price in the states for imported sugar sweetened soda. Or on the other hand, a different inferior sweetener.

It's like switching brands when you smoke them.

I should have learned my lesson about purchasing alcohol for friends when Carnival packed the wrong bottle in my box a couple of years ago. My "friend" refused to pay because it wasn't the liquor she had requested. Tonight my friend came to pick up her Crown Royal and the bottle is chipped at the opening. My friend refuses to drink it because she thinks there might be glass in the bottle, which may be true. But that leaves me out of $17.00 because she refuses to pay up.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.

JMO, but I think the lesson is you need better 'friends'...If someone were to pick up something for me, I don't care what condition it's in when I get it, even if it's unuseable I would pay for it. That is just the right thing to do.

Pickle, it sounds to me that in your case...100% of the time, that 'No good deed goes unpunished'. Why is it that every time you do something for someone else, it's comes back and bites you in the butt???????????

[quote name='halos']JMO, but I think the lesson is you need better 'friends'...If someone were to pick up something for me, I don't care what condition it's in when I get it, even if it's unuseable I would pay for it. That is just the right thing to do.
Pickle, it sounds to me that in your case...100% of the time, that 'No good deed goes unpunished'. Why is it that every time you do something for someone else, it's comes back and bites you in the butt???????????[/quote]

Must be something in the water.[IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='MrPete']Sorry, but I would just inform that friend (did they ask or did you offer?) that my transportation fee would make that liquor cost higher than their local store.

And as for those cheap cigarettes, when will people realize they are most often not American tobacco. They don't even have the DOA seal. Yet they still have the global name.

And the soda? Depends where it's manufactured. They may even have real sugar in them! Some pay a premium price in the states for imported sugar sweetened soda. Or on the other hand, a different inferior sweetener.

It's like switching brands when you smoke them.[/quote]

MrPete I had no idea these were not the same cigarettes as sold in the States. Is this the case with the cigarettes onboard Carnival ships that are considerably cheaper too?

[quote=Micah's Grandad;32751016]Must be something in the water.[IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG][/quote]

Not true. Remember I was paid for all the cigarettes AND I bought $400 of alcohol and only the $17 was in question. I would say overall this transaction wasn't a bust, but the annoyance of not getting paid leaves a sour taste in my mouth. So even though it will negatively affect my other friends, it's not worth the hassle.

I have to agree with the folks that say find a new friend. No matter what, you did the favor, they need to pay you. I once had a friend pick me up a sports jersey that cost almost a $100, on his way to my place his vehicle was broken into and everything was stolen including my jersey, I still paid him. Why should he be out the money through no fault of his own when he was doing me a favor?

[quote name='Pyrate13']I have to agree with the folks that say find a new friend. No matter what, you did the favor, they need to pay you. I once had a friend pick me up a sports jersey that cost almost a $100, on his way to my place his vehicle was broken into and everything was stolen including my jersey, I still paid him. Why should he be out the money through no fault of his own when he was doing me a favor?[/quote]

You=friend. ;)

I'd get the money up front before I bought anyone anything. I have picked up random stuff for people at local stores and then never gotten paid back. After a while I stop asking. They may have forgotten, but I hate to keep asking. Of course I wonder if I've ever forgotten to pay someone back :eek:

Archived