This is absolutely the last time I purchase alcohol for somebody on a cruise

picklebongo

[quote name='picklebongo']Ok, I'll try this! I didn't think of cheesecloth.[/quote]
Go to the paint store and buy a paint strainer, they would be fine for this...Dennis Just saw the coffee filter idea, it should work better..:)

I agree with everyone before me. Dump the friend who refused to pay you, or at least move him down from "friend" to "acquaintance". It seems like he has you confused with a liquor delivery business. Respond in kind, and dump the customer who won't pay. And in the future, like a well-known saying goes, neither a borrower nor a lender be.

[quote name='picklebongo']This had nothing to do with the cruise.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought you bought the booze on the cruise since you mentioned Carnival packing them. Oh well. Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the correction. It was an honest misunderstanding.

[quote name='picklebongo']I returned with eight bottles of alcohol valued at over $400 and all of the other stuff was received well and paid for. My friends who don't cruise appreciate the prices and I also bought six cartons of cigarettes for them. I only had one problem, but it was enough to sour me on doing this again. It's not worth the hassle.[/quote]

Of course you paid the duty since you went over the allowed limit on both items.

[quote name='carnivalcruisejunkie']Of course you paid the duty since you went over the allowed limit on both items.[/quote]

I very much doubt it. Just because it's over the limit doesn't mean you pay duty. We've brought 6-8 bottles and never paid duty. Not usually worth the customs' officers time.

Pickle, I'll often pick up cigs for people, but only if I'm going to St Maarten, the cigarettes are cheap and fresh. I don't smoke but a few people I work with do and they thought they were awesome!!
I did buy my sister the 5 packs of Marlboro for 100.00 on the ship once because she dog sat for me. She said they were stale.
I can't take her off my list of friends since we are related, but I have never bought her a carton again.
Carole

[quote name='picklebongo']I returned with eight bottles of alcohol valued at over $400 and all of the other stuff was received well and paid for. My friends who don't cruise appreciate the prices and I also bought six cartons of cigarettes for them. I only had one problem, but it was enough to sour me on doing this again. It's not worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

I wish we could legally bring so much back into Canada, our customs people would be all over us for that much liquor and cigs.

[quote name='kae']I don't blame you. I would have paid you for & used a strainer.;)

Kae[/quote]

That's exactly what I was going to say. Put it through a strainer or cheese cloth. Boy some people are just plain nervy. I would never do it again either.

[quote name='carnivalcruisejunkie']Of course you paid the duty since you went over the allowed limit on both items.[/quote]

I didn't pay any duty since I didn't go over the allowance, at least I don't think I did. Isn't each passenger allowed two cartons of cigarettes? What is the allowance for alcohol per person?

[quote name='picklebongo']I didn't pay any duty since I didn't go over the allowance, at least I don't think I did. Isn't each passenger allowed two cartons of cigarettes? What is the allowance for alcohol per person?[/quote]

For itineraries that do not include a US Virgin island you are allowed 1 carton per person and 1L of alcohol per person. The following link is my source.
[url]http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/09/what-is-our-duty-free-allowance.aspx[/url]

[quote name='Rottweiler Puppy']Sorry, I thought you bought the booze on the cruise since you mentioned Carnival packing them. Oh well. Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the correction. It was an honest misunderstanding.[/quote]

Now you have ME confused! I did purchase the alcohol on the cruise and Carnival DID pack them. They delivered the wrong package to my door, hence the error.

[quote name='topofE']On base, since it's made in the USA and shipped to us, it has a ciggarette style warning saying, "Warning, this product contains saccharine which has been known to cause cancer in labratory animals in clinical settings". Yet off base, where the sodas do NOT come directly from the USA, it's just listed as saccharine in the ingredient list where aspartame is in "our" diet sodas...
*ETA but the cans themselves are exactly identical and either had English ingredients, or English and japanese on them...*[/quote]

I find this peculiar. If the sodas are canned in the USA and shipped overseas for consumption by American citizens, why would they use different ingredients than what is used for the sodas that are bottled & sold in the USA?

[quote name='carnivalcruisejunkie']For itineraries that do not include a US Virgin island you are allowed 1 carton per person and 1L of alcohol per person. The following link is my source.
[URL]http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/09/what-is-our-duty-free-allowance.aspx[/URL][/quote]

You can quote all you want, but what the rule is and what actually happens are two different things. We always bring more than the allowance and have NEVER paid duty. The customs guy usually doesn't even look at the pack of the dec form.

[quote name='reginaphalange']I find this peculiar. If the sodas are canned in the USA and shipped overseas for consumption by American citizens, why would they use different ingredients than what is used for the sodas that are bottled & sold in the USA?[/quote]

They aren't bottled in the US. They are bottled locally by bottlers contracted out by the larger soda maker. There are European bottlers, african, asian, south american, etc etc.

[quote name='reginaphalange']I find this peculiar. If the sodas are canned in the USA and shipped overseas for consumption by American citizens, why would they use different ingredients than what is used for the sodas that are bottled & sold in the USA?[/quote]

Like elcuchio said, they aren't bottled in the US. Coke is the same way. In fact, Coke tastes different in different countries as well because it is sweetened differently. In North America, it's sweetened with corn syrup but in many places outside of that, they use real sugar or sugar cane. It's bottled locally.

[QUOTE]You=friend. ;) [/QUOTE]

Thanks Gran, not trying to grab compliments, I'm no angel. The jersey was for my grandson and it helped teach him that when even when it hurts you need to do the right thing. The person that did this to the OP is an A$$. I've never had a problem bringing back items that friends asked for and I've never asked for payment up front.

By the way, Crown is my drink of choice and if the OP lived near me I would buy it from them and take some of the advice offered on straining it. ;):D

If I ever ask someone to buy something for me, I give them the money BEFORE they leave. Even if I don't know the exact amount, we can at least get it in the ballpark. If I'm short, I'll gladly give them more when they return, and if I've overpaid by a little, they can keep it for being gracious enough to purchase an item, lug it around around, and then deliver it to me. What ever happened to common courtesy?

[quote name='elcuchio24']They aren't bottled in the US. They are bottled locally by bottlers contracted out by the larger soda maker. There are European bottlers, african, asian, south american, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense. The post I was questioning reads (to me), that they are bottled in the US and shipped overseas with a warning.

Not that it's terribly important; I was just curious.

Archived