This is absolutely the last time I purchase alcohol for somebody on a cruise

picklebongo

[quote name='reginaphalange']That makes more sense. The post I was questioning reads (to me), that they are bottled in the US and shipped overseas with a warning.

Not that it's terribly important; I was just curious.[/quote]

I learned something today. I had no idea there were bottling companies that made the products differently. I expected diet Pepsi to taste like diet Pepsi, at the least what I'm accustomed to. Who would knowingly purchase a flat tasting soda? When it comes to cigarettes, they should let people know they may not taste the same.

Does anybody know if the cigs on the Carnival ships are actually made in the States or somewhere else?

[quote name='picklebongo']I should have learned my lesson about purchasing alcohol for friends when Carnival packed the wrong bottle in my box a couple of years ago. My "friend" refused to pay because it wasn't the liquor she had requested. Tonight my friend came to pick up her Crown Royal and the bottle is chipped at the opening. My friend refuses to drink it because she thinks there might be glass in the bottle, which may be true. But that leaves me out of $17.00 because she refuses to pay up.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.[/quote]

it is your fault. You should have learned your lesson the first time, that your customer was unreliable. Shame on you for falling for their game a second time.

[quote name='zqvol']it is your fault. You should have learned your lesson the first time, that your customer was unreliable. Shame on you for falling for their game a second time.[/quote]

This is a totally different situation and a different "friend". The first situation dealt with somebody asking for a specific alcoholic beverage, which I purchased on the ship. The box that was delivered to my cabin and which I opened at home in the presence of my friend, had something totally different, there was obviously a mixup in delivery.

The latest situation was the right beverage, but the bottle was chipped at the opening and the person did not want it.

I do accept some responsibility for not getting the money up front and my solution to this problem is never to make purchases for individuals again, lesson learned. They will have to book their own cruise and get the great deal themselves.

[quote name='reginaphalange']That makes more sense. The post I was questioning reads (to me), that they are bottled in the US and shipped overseas with a warning.

Not that it's terribly important; I was just curious.[/quote]

Stuff that is sold on military bases overseas usually is the US stuff and the stuff offbase is local so that might be some of the confusion with the post.

[quote name='picklebongo']

I also bought a diet Pepsi in one of the stores and it didn't taste the same as ones I'm accustomed to, though the can looked the same. It tasted slightly flat.[/QUOTE]

I've found this on almost every port. I always thought it was the formula, some non-sugar sweeteners that the US doesn't allow... all I know is it tastes different in the Caribbean.

[quote name='picklebongo']I should have learned my lesson about purchasing alcohol for friends when Carnival packed the wrong bottle in my box a couple of years ago. My "friend" refused to pay because it wasn't the liquor she had requested. Tonight my friend came to pick up her Crown Royal and the bottle is chipped at the opening. My friend refuses to drink it because she thinks there might be glass in the bottle, which may be true. But that leaves me out of $17.00 because she refuses to pay up.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of your posts... your reviews, updates, insight. They certainly make me feel better about myself! :eek:

I learned not to buy liquor for others when a bottle of coconut rum broke in my suitcase on the way back. A friend asked me to bring him a particular bottle of gin from our Fantasy cruise. Either the prices are much better in St. Maarten, where he goes each year, or else he's got a bad memory. I actually considered buying it this week, but it was more than double the price he remembered.

I think also that your friend is not much of a friend. I would have paid for the Crown Royal and tossed it away if the bottle was chipped. I'd have paid you because you went out of your way to buy it and bring it home and i value friendship. $17 is not a big deal if it means bad feelings in a friendship.

This isn't alot of money, but it's the last time I buy alcohol for anybody on a cruise. The prices are great but it isn't worth the hassle. It could have gotten chipped in my luggage, I'm not blaming Carnival, but it sure wasn't my fault.[/quote]

Just trying to visualize--was the bottle chipped under the sealed cap? In other words, was the chip under the area covered by the cap? And, was the chip only visible after the cap was removed? Or was it a nick in the outer layer of the glass bottle? Was the bottle leaking?

Depending on the location of the nick, I would think that the glass chip would not be inside the bottle, but rather had fallen away from the bottle.

If it looks like the glass chip could have fallen inside the bottle, I'd probabably just strain with extra-fine cheesecloth and call it a day!

[quote name='fliprcruzr']I've found this on almost every port. I always thought it was the formula, some non-sugar sweeteners that the US doesn't allow... all I know is it tastes different in the Caribbean.[/QUOTE]

Water also tastes different in all parts of the world due to the differences of the minerals in the water which will affect the taste of anything made with it.

Archived