Book early or else?

Love.II.Cruise

So I just read an article on Cruise Critic and they wrote about Oceania and Regent.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1096

They stated, "Luxury cruises also put forth their best prices early. Oceania and Regent Seven Seas usually bump up rates every three months. Crystal's Book Now fares offer early-booking discounts up to $2,000 per couple for a limited time; when the deadline passes, the line dutifully increases the cruise price. These upscale lines make it clear -- the lowest rates will disappear if you wait."

I will say the cruise we are on has already had a price increase.

Those that sail regularly with Oceania (or Regent), do you find this is the case?

So I just read an article on Cruise Critic and they wrote about Oceania and Regent.

They stated, "Luxury cruises also put forth their best prices early. Oceania and Regent Seven Seas usually bump up rates every three months. Crystal's Book Now fares offer early-booking discounts up to $2,000 per couple for a limited time; when the deadline passes, the line dutifully increases the cruise price. These upscale lines make it clear -- the lowest rates will disappear if you wait."

Those that sail regularly with Oceania (or Regent), do you find this is the case?

Who can say what will be in this crazy economy, but historically the "deals" HAVE dried up as it gets closer to the sailing date.

Particularly in the last year, there were exceptions to that, but in general the deals do expire.

In the past we have found that to be the case ....prices go up closer to sailing

The free air may disappear at some point around final pyment depending on how the cruise is selling

This past year with the economy being what is has been there seem to be more deals coming out on Oceania ...the good thing is they seem to honour them for early bookers

I liked the way O gave the good deals to people who book early (1+ yr in advance)

That said if you want a specific cabin ...BOOK EARLY no matter what the deal

I think its better to book early. From the US anyway where you have the option of cancelling before final payment is due for a full refund. I don't think you have this option everywhere else so that could be a problem with booking early.

Booking early locks in the price against the possibility of increases and you can still take advantage of any price decreases if there are any before final payment is due (again if booking from the US, otherwise YMMV).

On my first O cruise there was a substantial price reduction after booking and we were able to take advantage of that. On my others, prices have always gone up or stayed the same after booking. I tend to book a year or more in advance.

On other lines I've sometimes seen big price reductions after final payment was due to sell off remaining cabins. I haven't noticed this so much on O.

In the past it has always been wise to book early with O. In the past year however we have seen many promotions and deal offered closer to sailing date. Imo, the arrival of the Riviera will give them another 1260 berths to fill every day and will result in even more offers.

We always book early even though we are in a standard cabin. It helps with the fantasizing about the trip.:p.

It is even easier now through 3/31 with smaller deposits.

We always book without the airfare as in the beginning it seems the credit is the highest. You can always add the air back in as part of the orig fare up to final payment.

We continue to check the Oceania web site for price changes and/or promotions and our travel agent has always been able to get us the best deal.

We usually book DAY 1. On 2 of our O cruises we got the benefit of a price deduction a few months later (perhaps O feared not selling out the cruise -- a good TA can get you the reduction even if it is limited to "new bookings only") but by the time we departed the price was ALWAYS higher than the initial booking price. IMO you have nothing to lose booking early.

It has been my experience that both the highest priced cabins along with the lowest priced cabins sell out first and in general it DOES pay to book early with Oceania. i try to book as soon as they open for bookings. otherwise I am on a waitlist for the category I want and being on an Oceania waitlist seldom pays off.

Also handicapped cabins are hard To get even when booking early.

~Doris~

We put a premium on space so always book early to get OS or VS on R ships. We were stunned when we got a 3K reduction on the SFO-NYC Regatta cruise last fall.

As do we!

Booked our OS yesterday morning for NY to Montreal and on to Miami.:)

Archived