Anybody that can help me??

Newbi

Looking for tips on traveling with an infant??

We are booked on Celebrity eclipse in a family stateroom. We are 5 (myself, my husband, parents and our 15 month old daugter(at that time))

We have never been on any cruise before - and I am unsure what to expect - and what to pack!

I have read some comments on the site - but still have many questions.

If anybody can help me it would be much appreciated

1. I've seen that babies with nappies is not allowed in swimming pools - and i understand the reasoning but i've also seen on the site that some poeple take an small inflatable tub for them to splash in - is this acceptable???

2. Showering an infant?? Not inpossible - but has anybody used an inflatable tub as above in the shower??

3. I've seen that some people said that they ordered their babyfood as room services before going on their excursions - to be sure that the child had food for the day -- any experience with this??? Have anybody seen the babyfood before?? Milk for bottles during the day - is it possible to get before you go out for the day

4. I would not like leaving my child in a strangers care and going out for the evening - is it possible to take a sleeping child in pram to evening entertainment?? She is really a angle and sleep through anything at night.

5. Im travelling from abroad and was thinking of buying most of the baby supplies at on of the local stores in fort lauderdale - wallmart sufficient??

Anytips that anybody can offer - please comment...

thank

You've mentioned both reasons that folks bring a small blow-up tub...for bathing and splashing! Most ships only have showers until you get into a "suite" catagory. What ship will you be on?

At 15 months, your child will most likely be eating some table foods. There are cheerios for finger snacking, bananas, applesauce....lots of softer, child-friendly foods to choose from. Milk is avail. in the buffet, from room service and in any dining venue. You will most likely have a small fridge in the cabin (of course, depending on the ship!) and ice is delivered 2 times daily. Juices are avail. during breakfast...you can put some in a bottle for later in the day.

Children are welcome at all shows, unless there is an "adult" designation. Don't worry about taking your child almost anywhere on the ship!

Yes...you can get practically anything you'll need in Ft. Laud....wal-mart is more than sufficient!! Very few, if any, baby supplies will be on the ship for sale, so make a list of EVERYTHING you use in a week's time and bring it with you! Don't forget any baby medications you might need....things for stuffy nose, tummy aches, bandaids, and pedialyte...just in case!!!

1) Yes, just place it strategically near a floor drain so you can empty it into the waste water without much effort or mess

2) Ours love the shower (though they get slippery). If you want to use an inflatable tub, make sure to get a small-ish one since anything larger won't fit. Of course it can be stuffed in, but then you have more risk of a hole.

3) Agree with CB

4) Our were too, but never slept through a show. VERY noisy and way too many interesting people to look at. And of course, 1/2 the people will want to interact with the baby... even when they should be sleeping or eating.

I don't think anybody would blink an eye at a 15MO in an adult show though. I agree it not allowed, but I think the intent is to keep older kids from picking up something that mom and dad will regret. At 15MO she might pick up a few american swear words, but won't understand the jokes anyway. :D

5) Walmart has just about everything (as long as it's commonly available in the US.) Our rule is that we don't worry much about forgetting something as long as there is a WM where we are going (which doesn't apply well to cruising, but makes other trips less stressful.)

I believe an infant is a baby between the ages of 0 - 6 months - you will have yourself a real toddler at that point (be ready to run - lol). Speaking as a mom of 5, your child will probably be off baby food and bottles at that age. My kids pretty much ate what we ate, maybe not using spicy sauces. You will find PLENTY for her to eat.

Make use of lounges that aren't being used, during the day, for some run-around time. Definitely bring a small stroller along, that reclines. I remember bringing little ones to the local pool club, and just having them nap outside, instead of dragging them home for naps. If that fails, go have yourself a nice nap, too.

I know the rule for packing is to set aside all of the clothes you think you will need, and pack half, but I think the opposite is true with young children (I remember travelling with 18 month old twins, and only packing 1 outfit per day - and they were my last - what was I thinking?!). Pack extra - it doesn't take up that much room.

Along with packing extra clothing, I would also recommend you have extra diapers... I was took my DD on her first cruise when she was 18 months old. Unfortunatly during lunch the milk that was put in her bottle had turned.. ( I usually check and for some reason didn't smell the milk that time..) This had upset her stomach and we went through lots of extra diapers for a couple of days.... I was so glad that I had packed extras as you can't get any on board the ship.

Have a great time...

Lisa

I believe an infant is a baby between the ages of 0 - 6 months - you will have yourself a real toddler at that point (be ready to run - lol). Speaking as a mom of 5, your child will probably be off baby food and bottles at that age. My kids pretty much ate what we ate, maybe not using spicy sauces. You will find PLENTY for her to eat.

Agree, you will have an active toddler, not an infant. And, at 15 months, most children don't eat baby food or have bottles. I know there are lots of "graduate" type foods available, but honestly, that's for baby food companies to make money, because most of the time, all you have to do is cut up what you are eating for a 15 month old. The staff will be happy to bring your child whatever they need.

You may want to bring a supply of sippy cups with you, and agree, for your child bring more wipes, diapers, and clothing then you think you need.

Took our son last year when he was 11 months. We bought a blow up tub from target for like ten bucks left in the box and blew it up when we were on board. Fit perfectly in the shower and just threw it out when we left. Shows were kinda tough as our son wouldn't sit for more that ten minutes, but most shows run twice a day so if your traveling with someone you can take turns babysitting. Have fun!!

How old is your child now? As far as being willing to sit quietly in the stroller and sleep can definitely change as babies get a little older and more mobile so keep that in mind. I would say just be flexible with where you go. My DD is 13 months and I don't know that i could get her to sit still through a show, even in the stroller. I might try, but planning to sit in the back, just in case. As far as foods, probably he/she will be eating more table foods than anything. DD really only eats baby food in a pinch. Usually I take whatever we are eating and cut it up in tiny pieces (like chicken or green beans, noodles, rice, etc) or, if all else fails, mashed potatoes, pancakes and apple sauce are good standby foods.

For essentials like diapers, wipes, and over the counter medicines (tylenol, orajel, etc) are easily found at Walmart, CVS/Walgreens and even most grocery stores. Unless its something not commonly used here or unique, you should be able to pick it up when you get to the port city and save on luggage space.

Archived