destiny advice

booked for a week in corfu and then the cruise early july this year booked in aug last year cabin booked and all inc drinks as well .what will thomsons offer me for a cabin ,had a cabin for 4 inc two teenage girls ,and will the drinks stay the same as the destiny ,balance due in a few weeks and dont want to pay till i know the facts :)

What I will be losing out on is a suite I chose in advance a year ago! on the Eagle Deck with 25sq and a balcony in exchange for - at best - 23 sqm and a bay window and less privacy - because the Destiny's 9th Deck only had something like 10 cabins.

Ive been told - off the record [ so how true this i we dont know ] that I will be offered either

Full refund - which flies in face of things posters have been saying OR

Equivelent Holiday - Yeah? in little under 3 months time?

Reduction in final balance - ok, how much? I would want the difference between what I was going to pay [ about £2700] and what the cost is in the new cabin so, if that would cost £2000 then I want £700 and not some measly gesture.Time for negotiations.

In the meantime the Thomson shop have suggested I pay the final invoice - they would say that wouldn't they? and wait and see what I'm offered...in my opinion that could be construed as giving approval to the switch.

I'm due to pay on Friday 9th so there's 48 hours to see if they can make me a reasonable offer in compensation, otherwise we're into a whole new ball game thats not going to be compensated for "open dining".

What I will be losing out on is a suite I chose in advance a year ago! on the Eagle Deck with 25sq and a balcony in exchange for - at best - 23 sqm and a bay window and less privacy - because the Destiny's 9th Deck only had something like 10 cabins.

Ive been told - off the record [ so how true this i we dont know ] that I will be offered either

Full refund - which flies in face of things posters have been saying OR

Equivelent Holiday - Yeah? in little under 3 months time?

Reduction in final balance - ok, how much? I would want the difference between what I was going to pay [ about £2700] and what the cost is in the new cabin so, if that would cost £2000 then I want £700 and not some measly gesture.Time for negotiations.

In the meantime the Thomson shop have suggested I pay the final invoice - they would say that wouldn't they? and wait and see what I'm offered...in my opinion that could be construed as giving approval to the switch.

I'm due to pay on Friday 9th so there's 48 hours to see if they can make me a reasonable offer in compensation, otherwise we're into a whole new ball game thats not going to be compensated for "open dining".

You originally booked a balcony and as there are no balconies available on the Majesty you might be in a good legal position if it came to the nitty gritty. I would imagine any court could see the difference between balcony and no balcony ;)

For most people they have booked an inside or outside and offering a equivalent with no cancellation option is probably legal although for the sake of good customer relations the offer of cancellation would be logical.

WE pre booked our outside cabin on deck 3 because we wanted mid ship but didnt want the lowest deck and we didnt want anything on the above deck except cabins .

We have been told we will probably get an equal outside cabin on deck 4 which is what we didnt want as the restaurants are above .

so I will argue that an equal cabin should not only be of equal outside but follow the same criteria on the new ship that we originally asked for on the destiny . Im not giving up without a fight I feel I have been treated terribly by Thompsons .

WE pre booked our outside cabin on deck 3 because we wanted mid ship but didnt want the lowest deck and we didnt want anything on the above deck except cabins .

We have been told we will probably get an equal outside cabin on deck 4 which is what we didnt want as the restaurants are above .

so I will argue that an equal cabin should not only be of equal outside but follow the same criteria on the new ship that we originally asked for on the destiny . Im not giving up without a fight I feel I have been treated terribly by Thompsons .

Hi glittergal1

When are you sailing?

This is the problem that we are having for exactly the same reasons as you, mid ships and cabins above and below.

Will you post if you hear anything specific please, as we don't sail til nov it's going to be quite a wait for us.

Thanks

We sail June 1st it is my 40th birthday on the 3rd so it was to be a special holiday ive saved all year for. I feel so let down by thompsons when I went to the travel agents yesterday they knew nothing about the swap ! ! Im waiting for a letter from thompsons with details but have been told I cant re book a cabin until April 2nd . Im watching these threads every day for more information

Hi glittergal1

When are you sailing?

This is the problem that we are having for exactly the same reasons as you' date=' we pre-booked mid ships with cabins above and below.

Will you post if you hear anything specific please, as we don't sail til nov it's going to be quite a wait for us.

Thanks[/quote']

:mad::mad::mad:

We are in the same position. Have pre-booked midships, inside, deck 4, with cabins above and below and away from lifts. Now been told we will have an inside cabin on deck 6,7 or 8. Six is above entertainment, etc., there are only 2 inside cabins on deck 7 next to the lifts, and no inside cabins on deck 8!!:eek:

TA cannot do anything until she gets more information from Thomson but I guess we will be offered deck 6. I have already told the TA that I will not accept this and that they should offer people in a similar situation an outside room on decks 7 or 8 at no extra charge. Majesty has more outside cabins than Destiny .... so why not let those going through this extra hassle benefit from a free upgrade if only for good customer relations.

Booked for Pearls of Aegean/Thomas Bay on 31st Aug 12

Will post when I hear anything - probably next week.

Does anyone know who would be the top person to complain to?

I already gave that information in post number 5, the CEO's e-mail address (although not dealt with him personally, but they have to report to his office) :confused:

This is a good website, look for TUI on here, i have used it in the past (when IE was replaced with Spirit, but was changing back half way through our cruise to IE).

http://www.ceoemail.com/

I have actually e-mailed this address twice, and both times had a call back (within a week) with a satisfactory outcome.

Hope this information helps, Thomson as members of ABTA must have a formal complaint process in place as part of their membership requirements. see link

http://www.abta.com/consumer-services/travel_problems

This current situation re Destiny/Majesty could now be raised as a formal complaint if you do not get the outcome you require.

IMO and if i had a booking and had some of the issues raised here, i would be raising the issue now as a formal complaint (not waiting to hear what they offer as this could further delay) at stage 1. and then taking it further is if appropriate.

From experience of handling complaints (though not travel related) where professional bodies/associations etc that you (the company) are a member of become informed of or involved in, the complaint is taken more seriously and dealt with promptly.

An email to the CEO will most likely be forwarded to customer service and then follow their own internal complaint handling process, which may not be given as much priority as those raised in which ABTA will be informed as there are specific timescale deadlines to work to in order to meet membership requirements.

If you do go down this route ensure that the complaint is in writing as well as any email and that you quote that that the complaint is being raised in line with the ABTA code of practice and that you will expect a response within 28 days of date of letter.

Good Luck all and i hope you all get positive results.

Hope this information helps, Thomson as members of ABTA must have a formal complaint process in place as part of their membership requirements. see link

http://www.abta.com/consumer-services/travel_problems

This current situation re Destiny/Majesty could now be raised as a formal complaint if you do not get the outcome you require.

IMO and if i had a booking and had some of the issues raised here, i would be raising the issue now as a formal complaint (not waiting to hear what they offer as this could further delay) at stage 1. and then taking it further is if appropriate.

From experience of handling complaints (though not travel related) where professional bodies/associations etc that you (the company) are a member of become informed of or involved in, the complaint is taken more seriously and dealt with promptly.

An email to the CEO will most likely be forwarded to customer service and then follow their own internal complaint handling process, which may not be given as much priority as those raised in which ABTA will be informed as there are specific timescale deadlines to work to in order to meet membership requirements.

If you do go down this route ensure that the complaint is in writing as well as any email and that you quote that that the complaint is being raised in line with the ABTA code of practice and that you will expect a response within 28 days of date of letter.

Good Luck all and i hope you all get positive results.

I'm not sure that a pre-emptive complaint without first reading the Co offer is a good idea and would go down that well in any small claims court.

Sorry, hope i have not caused any confusion but to clarify (and i will use an example so hope that helps)

For instance, if you have booked a balcony suite, i would raise a complaint as there are no balcony suites available, then wait to see what is offered, if the offer is not acceptable go to stage 3. Likewise where specific cabins and decks have been selected and a like for like can not be offered (taking into consideration what is above or below).

This would not prejudice your position for any future legal action that you may consider. Most courts now look at reasonableness, and it would be deemed to be reasonable to raise a complaint against any substantial change - which this is, as it is then up to Thomson to respond and negotiate and appropriate solution in a timely fashion. The fact that you have been proactive and raised your concerns at any early stage can only help.

IMO better for you to bring this to their attention rather than wait and see what they offer, as and not to be cynical here;) i would imagine that they will drag this out as long as possible so that it is almost upon your sailing date, monies have been committed etc, and then it almost a fait accompli.

Be interesting to see how this pans out, should make some interesting reading over the next few months, lets hope for positive outcomes for all

Sorry, hope i have not caused any confusion but to clarify (and i will use an example so hope that helps)

For instance, if you have booked a balcony suite, i would raise a complaint as there are no balcony suites available, then wait to see what is offered, if the offer is not acceptable go to stage 3. Likewise where specific cabins and decks have been selected and a like for like can not be offered (taking into consideration what is above or below).

This would not prejudice your position for any future legal action that you may consider. Most courts now look at reasonableness, and it would be deemed to be reasonable to raise a complaint against any substantial change - which this is, as it is then up to Thomson to respond and negotiate and appropriate solution in a timely fashion. The fact that you have been proactive and raised your concerns at any early stage can only help.

IMO better for you to bring this to their attention rather than wait and see what they offer, as and not to be cynical here;) i would imagine that they will drag this out as long as possible so that it is almost upon your sailing date, monies have been committed etc, and then it almost a fait accompli.

Be interesting to see how this pans out, should make some interesting reading over the next few months, lets hope for positive outcomes for all

Personally, and as i have done in the past, not just with Thomson, i would use the CEO e-mail address first, and get in there first before anoyone else, it can't do any harm, and the twice i have used it, i have had very satisfactory results (including getting the cabin both my TA and Customer Services said i couldn't have), and it is not jsut forwarded to customer services, they might be a part of the CS team, but higher up the chain than anyone you might get through a normal e-mail or phone call.

Yes I pre-booked a balcony and suite, and I'm due to pay the balance tomorrow [ I'm on cruise and stay ] My "tactic" was to lay down a basic requirement for being , in effect, downgraded, to do that they have to show their hand first.I have notified my local branch that I consider this a downgrading and wish to see what their HO can offer in compensation , in the meantime my final invoice hasn't arrived and I do not intend paying without it

Good Luck Keith i hope they look after you well, keep us all informed on your progress.

Well that's that sorted:)I explained to my local branch that I would pay the final amount howeverthey would have to realise that this was a non prejudicial payment that did not affect my statutory rights. Two hours later I received a phone call offering me an unobstructed Jnr Suite [ more or less on a par with Destiny ] plus £400 in lieu of the balcony. We graciously accepted [having discussed ] and wishing to be considered reasonable people.This will pay for my excursions just about....an example of Win/Winto be fair;)

Well that's that sorted:)I explained to my local branch that I would pay the final amount howeverthey would have to realise that this was a non prejudicial payment that did not affect my statutory rights. Two hours later I received a phone call offering me an unobstructed Jnr Suite [ more or less on a par with Destiny ] plus £400 in lieu of the balcony. We graciously accepted [having discussed ] and wishing to be considered reasonable people.This will pay for my excursions just about....an example of Win/Winto be fair;)

I'm so glad they are being reasonable with people:). Now all you have to do is take lots of notes for everyone and post as soon as you return.

Oh that's good Keith - you must feel pretty satisfied with that outcome. I'm pleased it's worked out for you - let's hope others are similarly treated and are pleased with the offers made to them too. :)

Will be very interested to get your feedback when you get back - a lot of people will be scanning the reviews to see how well the Majesty is being received. At least you can be confident about the destinations - the itinerary is fab! ;)

WE payed our final balance 2 weeks ago . When my travel agent rang thompsons she was told we wouldnt get a re fund or any compensation and our pre booked cabin couldn't be re booked until April . needless to say I am not happy with the responce . yesterday I emailed Johan Lundgren after seeing it on here and today I had a reply from his office saying could i send details of my complaint and it will be passed on . I have just written and sent it detailing my grievence and the action I require them to take . Should the outcome not be satisfactory I will take it further simply because of the way this has been handled.

WE payed our final balance 2 weeks ago . When my travel agent rang thompsons she was told we wouldnt get a re fund or any compensation and our pre booked cabin couldn't be re booked until April . needless to say I am not happy with the responce . yesterday I emailed Johan Lundgren after seeing it on here and today I had a reply from his office saying could i send details of my complaint and it will be passed on . I have just written and sent it detailing my grievence and the action I require them to take . Should the outcome not be satisfactory I will take it further simply because of the way this has been handled.

This contrast with what others have been told which is that those who have already booked cabins can choose their replacement from next monday. This i believe was for a cruise in November!

Archived