Pompeii from Rome?

LisaH

Hi all, I found a transatlantic cruise on Celebrity that includes the following ports.

Porta Delgado, Azores

Cartagena Spain

Barcelona Spain

Provence

Florence

Rome

Is it possible to do a day trip (private tour I guess) from Rome to Pompeii?

I am reluctant (but not unwilling) to have to fly both ways to Europe. So a TA would be perfect, or close to it.

Thanks for your expert opinions. I know that we would get more ports by doing RT Rome, Venice, etc...but just wondering about this.

Yes, but it is a long day. We actually did that last summer. We had several days pre-cruise in Rome. Our cruise did not stop in Naples yet everyone wanted to go to Pompeii. We did a private trip with RomeinLimo for our group of 9 and it was great!

We left Rome about 7:30am and arrived at Pompeii before it got too hot. RIL had arranged for a private guide and she met us at Pompeii. After touring Pompeii we went to Sorrento for lunch. After lunch we headed to Herculaneum since we wanted to see that too. We had plenty of time and Herculaneum was practically empty.

We got back to Rome about 7:30pm. It was a long 12 hour day but with our drivers and the air conditioned comfortable vehicles, we could nap on the way back.

Yes, we could have taken the train and DIY, but with 9 of us we actually came out about the same price as the tour. And it was certainly more enjoyable.

So, yes, you can easily get to Pompeii from Rome.

For our last pre-cruise day in Rome, we've booked a private tour with RomeInLimo for Pompeii/Herculaneum. It's a long day, but might be shorter if you only went to Pompeii.

I had researched taking the train from Rome ala Rick Steves' instructions, but decided the cost + logistics pretty much equaled the cost of a shared private tour that includes private guides.

There are bus tours to Pompeii offered out of Rome through Viator, for example, that might work into your plans. But if you are planning this trip from Civitavecchia during the time you are in port there, I'm not sure it's doable.

Thanks to both of you. Rome is the end port of the trip so if we do this, and stay an extra couple of days there - Pompeii is a must see for us so that is doable it sounds like.

I am just starting my research and I so appreciate the info. At this point, it is just two of us and if we do this itin, it would probably remain that way unless we meet new friends on the cruise which is entirely possible.

Or even on Cruise Critic Roll Call...now THERE is an idea for a group private tour.

What is the restroom situation like on this all day excursion? How long is the drive from Rome to Pompeii...I have no problem with it being a long day as that is why we are there.

I checked out RomeInLimo.com and they look terrific. The Rome to Pompeii/Positano looks great and right now it says it is 550 euro for up to two people which converted to about $360 pp which does not seem unreasonable at all given our heli tour in Alaska was almost $300 pp.

Thank you again

For 2 persons it really makes more sense (and is more comfortable) to use the trains. You simply book one of the high speed trains from Rome to Naples (less then 100 Euros round trip). Once you arrive in Naples you simply catch the Circumvesuviania Line Train (this costs less then 5 Euros) to the Pompeii Scavi stop from where you simply walk over to the the entrance to the ruins. Admission used to be about 12 Euros and you can either rent a self-audio tour or join an English speaking tour (they are organized by the entrance) for about 10 more Euros (per person). It is a long day, but if you catch a early train you can be back in Rome in mid-afternoon. Another thing you can do is get yourself ruined at go to both Pompeii and Herculanium on the same day (they actually sell a discounted admission ticket that includes both ruins). After you see Pompeii you simply catch the Circumvesuviania Line train back towards Naples and get off at the Ercolano Scavi station from where you can easily walk to Herculanium. When you are all "ruined" you get that same train line back to Naples (a short ride) where you transfer to a train back to Rome.

DW prefers taking trains to van/car tours since there is more room in the train and bathrooms are at the end of the car :).

Hank

For 2 persons it really makes more sense (and is more comfortable) to use the trains. You simply book one of the high speed trains from Rome to Naples (less then 100 Euros round trip). Once you arrive in Naples you simply catch the Circumvesuviania Line Train (this costs less then 5 Euros) to the Pompeii Scavi stop from where you simply walk over to the the entrance to the ruins. Admission used to be about 12 Euros and you can either rent a self-audio tour or join an English speaking tour (they are organized by the entrance) for about 10 more Euros (per person). It is a long day, but if you catch a early train you can be back in Rome in mid-afternoon. Another thing you can do is get yourself ruined at go to both Pompeii and Herculanium on the same day (they actually sell a discounted admission ticket that includes both ruins). After you see Pompeii you simply catch the Circumvesuviania Line train back towards Naples and get off at the Ercolano Scavi station from where you can easily walk to Herculanium. When you are all "ruined" you get that same train line back to Naples (a short ride) where you transfer to a train back to Rome.

DW prefers taking trains to van/car tours since there is more room in the train and bathrooms are at the end of the car :).

Hank

Ahhhh...excellent suggestion as well. THANK YOU. In just these few posts you all have been a wealth of info.

Hi all, I found a transatlantic cruise on Celebrity that includes the following ports.

Porta Delgado, Azores

Cartagena Spain

Barcelona Spain

Provence

Florence

Rome

Is it possible to do a day trip (private tour I guess) from Rome to Pompeii?

I am reluctant (but not unwilling) to have to fly both ways to Europe. So a TA would be perfect, or close to it.

Thanks for your expert opinions. I know that we would get more ports by doing RT Rome, Venice, etc...but just wondering about this.

Does it end in Rome (Civitavecchia actually). If so, then yes, very easy

Train from Civitavecchia -> Roma Termini (approx 1h)

Train from Roma Termini -> Napoli (1h10m for the fast, 2h for a slower one)

Visit Pompeii not far from Napoli (Naples)

Fly home from NAP/Napoli the next day. Or take the train back to Rome/change/Train to Rome FCO airport

Doing it all on the same day would be insane.

Does it end in Rome (Civitavecchia actually). If so, then yes, very easy

Train from Civitavecchia -> Roma Termini (approx 1h)

Train from Roma Termini -> Napoli (1h10m for the fast, 2h for a slower one)

Visit Pompeii not far from Napoli (Naples)

Fly home from NAP/Napoli the next day. Or take the train back to Rome/change/Train to Rome FCO airport

Doing it all on the same day would be insane.

Yep, it ends in Rome. :)

I am just hoping they offer same in 2013. My TA and I were looking at 2012 schedules for ballpark cost, etc.

Archived