Local Sunrise/set & Moonrise/set Times?

I don't recall seeing this on the TVs in cabin or anywhere else but is there somewhere to find the "local" sun/moon times? Local meaning where the ship will be at that time? It would be a particular problem for me to figure out on our upcoming transatlantic because I could only guess where we will be at a given time. I know there are Android apps for Lat./Long. assuming I know what the position would be at the time. LunaSolCal (astro calculator) allows me to enter coordinates but they would jsut be a guess. I'm sure ship navigation system knows pretty close where we will be at any given time.

Main reason is start of the cruise will be close to New Moon so dark and good for stargazing if I know when the Moon will be gone. Then near end of cruise we should have a Full Moon rise so I would like to get some pictures if I know what time. I can get within an hour or so by guessing but within 10 minutes would be better so we can plan dinner time around it.

Do they pin up any details like this anywhere - such as near Guest Services?

The Cruise Compass publishes daily sunrise/set times and the ship info tv channel has them, too. The info on tv also publishes lat/lon data updates more or less in real time so you can use an app to compute moonrise/set times. Since you're moving East, bias your computations for rise times to be a little early.

Good luck!

Sunrise/set would be good too but I'm looking for Moon times. I can use sunset time for pretty close to the moonrise time on Full moons after this weekend when we get back to daylight savings time (in USA where applicable).

At 29°N Logitude (course will be almost due east to Canary Is.) lines are about 52 nautical miles apart so I think I can SWAG the timing each morning for moonset that night. Speed of 20kts wouldbe a Longitude line every 2hrs36min.

At 29°N Logitude (course will be almost due east to Canary Is.) lines are about 52 nautical miles apart so I think I can SWAG the timing each morning for moonset that night. Speed of 20kts wouldbe a Longitude line every 2hrs36min.

Wow you lost me on this one:D

Sequim, the captain will tell you at how many knots the ship is travelling....which means that if you asked him or any member of the Bridge crew, they could get locations for you so you could calculate moon risings/settings. They'd probably be tickled pink that someone was taking an interest in how the course is plotted.

You know, I'm surprised at how few people bother about trying to catch the moon rise/set. It's such a spectacular thing if the skies are clear! I always calculate it before we cruise and then plan dinner and shows around it. When we were on the Voyager, we were up on the high decks in Dubrovnik. It was formal night so my husband and I were dolled up to the nines. And there she came...a beautiful full moon rising from behind the mountains. It was awe-inspiring! We got some wonderful photos of the moon and us and had I not been aware of the rising time, we'd have missed it completely. The moon came up and within two minutes it was lost into the clouds and didn't reappear for the rest of the night. I was so glad we hadn't booked dinner while the skies were giving us a show. :D

Archived