New Desserts?

mimbecky

I have read a lot about the new menus aboard the Celebrity ships but even if I peek at the new menus provided, there is no information about nightly desserts. It looks like the basic choices are the same (except apple pie vs apple tart), but what about the different nightly selections? Are there any new additions or subtractions. Sorry, I have quite the sweet tooth :p

How about a chocolate lava cake?

That one and the pastrami sandwich are the only two things I am missing from my one time only Carnival Cruise:)

No kidding- the chocolate lava cake on RCCL was so good that I ordered 2 on the last night. Somebody else just posted new menus and again no mention of desserts. Leads me to think they must not be that great.

No kidding- the chocolate lava cake on RCCL was so good that I ordered 2 on the last night. Somebody else just posted new menus and again no mention of desserts. Leads me to think they must not be that great.

The no mention of desserts has nothing to do with their quality. The dessert menu is separate from the menu that lists the soups, salads, appetizers and entrees. The person who posted the menus probably just did not have access to the dessert menu. I thought the desserts were on par with the rest of the food on my recent cruise on Millennium. There was a really good caramel pastry cigar dessert one night; that one was definitely my favorite.

On our February cruise on the Eclipse our waiter informed us one night that chocolate souffle was available even though it was not listed on the dessert menu. Since I had never had chocolate souffle before I decided to try it. OMG it was to die for! If it is ever offered on your cruise you must try it.

On our February cruise on the Eclipse our waiter informed us one night that chocolate souffle was available even though it was not listed on the dessert menu. Since I had never had chocolate souffle before I decided to try it. OMG it was to die for! If it is ever offered on your cruise you must try it.

its available in murano every night ... and its delish

so is the grand marnier souffle

The no mention of desserts has nothing to do with their quality. The dessert menu is separate from the menu that lists the soups, salads, appetizers and entrees. The person who posted the menus probably just did not have access to the dessert menu. I thought the desserts were on par with the rest of the food on my recent cruise on Millennium. There was a really good caramel pastry cigar dessert one night; that one was definitely my favorite.

Hi Mimbecky,

GONZO70's info is correct... and well you aren't the first to ask since the 2012 MDR Menus were posted... here is another topic on the same subject.

And not only are the desserts a seperate menu, they seem to have their own "rotation"... not clear if it is a 14 day rotation or not (good Question to ask if anyone goes on a Galley Tour and meets someone who works in the Bakery / Patisserie section). Some of the "unknowns" on the Dessert Menu seem directly equate to the fact that this department is super tiny on the ship, yet produces all the "sweets" for the whole ship. And it does appear that there is "some rhyme or reason" as desserts across various venues do seem to work together (ie Coconut Ice Cream in the MDR tonight, Coconut Ice Cream in the Oceanview Cafe tomorrow... Squares needed for the Celebrity Buffet this morning, Squares also on the Tea Tray at the Champagne Tea... albeit slight different ones etc)

*Dessert Menus* = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1563955

Cheers!

On our recent Celebrity cruise,I found many of the desserts to be tasteless.They look great but somehow lacking.

I find that to be the case with many desserts -- the better they look, the less flavorful they are.

Similar rating system for wine. The more busy the wine label, generally the less tasty the wine.

In Nirmandie we had chocolate lava cake. It's not in the menu and. Use be requested in advance. We were persuaded to eat there with the promise of a special menu and it was excellent. We also had pasta with seafood, chateaubriand, and lamb chops that were off-menu.

On our recent Celebrity cruise,I found many of the desserts to be tasteless.They look great but somehow lacking.

I found most of them to be miniscule in their portions, although some like the always available Creme Brulee and the Cheesecake were of reasonable size and quite flavorful. Pastries were also bite size when larger sizes might have been more appreciated. Clearly one could select more than one to compensate for their size but the word "skimpy" immediately comes to mind when you first see them.:)

I found most of them to be miniscule in their portions, although some like the always available Creme Brulee and the Cheesecake were of reasonable size and quite flavorful. Pastries were also bite size when larger sizes might have been more appreciated. Clearly one could select more than one to compensate for their size but the word "skimpy" immediately comes to mind when you first see them.:)

Lol, I felt that the sizes were more than adequate... especially as a great number of passengers order more than one dessert (either for themselves or to share).

A common problem seems to be... there is just tooo many great things to choose from, so inevitably you end up having more than just one thing.

Our Waiter liked to tempt our table of four, by frequently bringing out one of what we ordered, and then if anything was "missed" he'd bring maybe 2 other dishes and plunk them down in the middle of the table, with extra forks.

Rarely, was there anything left :eek:

Lol, if you find that an idividual Eclair is tooo small for you... just order another one !!

Cheers!

On our last cruise, I don't think we were even handed a dessert menu. Our waiter just told us what was available.

Speaking of dessert, a major perk to select dining was the lack of Baked Alaska parade, but we still had it put in front of us. I hate Baked Alaska and I wish Celebrity would get over the fact that not everyone loves it.

On our last cruise, I don't think we were even handed a dessert menu. Our waiter just told us what was available.

Speaking of dessert, a major perk to select dining was the lack of Baked Alaska parade, but we still had it put in front of us. I hate Baked Alaska and I wish Celebrity would get over the fact that not everyone loves it.

Hi Patty1955,

Times must be a changin... no Baked Alaska Parade on the Solstice in January (could reflect the 2012 changes that have come about in the MDR)... BUT it was most certainly on the menu.

I ordered it... well just because... it seems like the "traditional" thing to do.

Think that was also the night we had the "to die for" coconut ice cream !!

Cheers!

Archived