Booking a balcony with small children? Am i too paranoid?

Prinycesa07

We're booking our 5th cruise this weekend. All 4 we've been on we've had interior rooms and we're considering getting a balcony this time. I know it would be convenient because both kids will probably need a nap during the day and also they will be too small to sleep on the upper beds that come down so they would be able to share the sofa that turns into a twin bed in the balcony room. I wish the interiors offered a sleeper sofa but as far as i know our only option for 4 people would be bunk beds?

HOWEVER, am i being totally paranoid in worrying that they could fall over board? They will be almost 3 (34 months) and 18 months at the time. I can just picture my oldest going out there, climbing on a chair and being too curious. Shes a huge climber, on everything.

What do you guys think?

Thanks. Will Read. Also asking if a balcony is our only option as far as a sofa sleeper is concerned? Surely there are other small kids who can't sleep on top bunks, do those families just not get an interior room? And no, a crib won't work. They will be too big for the portable cribs.

Yes...you are being too paranoid. It's virtually impossible for a child to "fall"...you may throw them overboard, but that's the ONLY way!

Your 3 year old will have a tough time trying to open the balcony door on his/her own. And, you will never be more than 1 step away....the cabins are NOT that large!

Do not worry...your kids will be safe. You will LOVE having the outdoor space for YOU, while the kids are down for the night or napping...the balcony is a god-send.

Check the deck plans for the type of bedding. Many folks will use the sleep sofa, so if that's what you want, make sure the cabin you book has it! Some will even just put the little ones on the floor on the pullman mattress or even a blanket...kids do NOT care! 2 kids will comfortably fit on the sleep sofa.

I'm not sure I'd say impossible. Our youngest is 18 months, and climbs like a monkey and is just as quick!!! We of course, would never leave her on the balcony alone, but boy are they quick at that age.

I hear ya! My 2 year old just started getting out of her crib. I even turned it against the wall so she is climbing over the tall part. No idea how shes doing it but shes out of there in 2.2 seconds. I, of course, would never leave her on the balcony alone. Guess i'm more worried about her getting up in the middle of the night. But from the other threads i read, she woldnt be able to open the doors. Add on top of that, my son who will be 18 months and I will be worrying about both.

Unless you leave the balcony door open, this isn't going to be a problem. I too was paranoid taking then-3yo expert climber DS2 on his first cruise, but it really was nothing. Just don't leave the door open and things will be fine. My oldest was almost 7 on our last cruise and he could barely get the door open himself.

Honestly, I worry more about the gap between the floor and railings on the walking/running track, as I'm sure my youngest would fit through there and fall overboard if he hit it right.

My DS, now 5, was really frightening at 3. He is a climber, very active and curious. He is also mechanical and could figure out any type of latch, lock, etc. I don't want to worry you, but we decided to hold off on cruising until he was old enough to understand rules. At 4.5 years old, he went on his first cruise, and the balcony was not an issue, because he understood that he was not allowed out there alone. I am not saying you shouldn't cruise-- just telling our particular story with a very active kid!

Our ship, the Celebrity Eclipse, had a second child-safety lock high up on the balcony's sliding glass door. Our son could not reach it. That was such a comfort and a great safety feature. Try to find out if your ship has that feature. Also, our balconies were all glass and pretty high, so there was no way our son could climb. If you have railings on your balcony, the risks are higher. We were also careful to move furniture away from the edge.

I don't agree with posters who say a toddler/preschooler can't open the sliding glass door. Our son would have had no problem with it at 3 years old. It really depends on your kid.

My advice is, enjoy the balcony room, but take as many precautions as possible. I used to bring duck tape with me to secure various locks in hotel rooms. You might be able to use the tape to secure the slider at night. A tension shower curtain rod could also possibly be used for sliding door security.

In addition, be wary of the regular cabin door that leads into the corridor. It doesn't have a dead bolt on the inside for safety reasons. A child could open it and get out of the cabin. There are inexpensive door alarms that could help. You could also secure the door with a piece of furniture.

I do not want to scare you. It's just that I had one of the scariest kids ever-- and these are the things I had to deal with when he was little. I have no doubt you can enjoy a balcony room safely; just use caution.

I totally understand your concern! Maybe I am just another concerned mom, but you know your kids. Several years ago we sailed with our then 6 & 4 year olds in adjoining balcony cabins and I never worried about them being careless on the balcony. This year we are getting ready to sail with our 14, 12, and 7 year old and booked connecting ocean view rooms because I can't take the chance that my 7 year old would not try to do something crazy! He loves to climb and be silly, and I just don't want to worry about him climbing on a chair and falling.

I don't know which line you are sailing with, but many of Carnival's ships have ocean view rooms that have the sofa. I know that both of the OV's we have booked have them.

Enjoy your cruise!

Michelle

The thing that scares me the most on this thread is that you are putting a toddler in an upper. While I have never, ever, ever (did I mention ever) in all of my years of being active on the family and cruise boards ever hear about a baby or toddler falling overboard (yes there was a near miss by some moronic parent who put her child on the railing for a picture - duh!). But I have seen quite a few parents come back here and tell us about broken legs and concussions from their children falling out of the upper bed. So....I would say, your odds are much greater of them falling out of bed. This was the first year I allowed my youngest to sleep in the upper - she is 7. ;)

We always travel in balconies with no worries. The kids are never allowed out there without us. Period. And the door locks are child proof. And some are mommy proof ;p

The thing that scares me the most on this thread is that you are putting a toddler in an upper. While I have never, ever, ever (did I mention ever) in all of my years of being active on the family and cruise boards ever hear about a baby or toddler falling overboard (yes there was a near miss by some moronic parent who put her child on the railing for a picture - duh!). But I have seen quite a few parents come back here and tell us about broken legs and concussions from their children falling out of the upper bed. So....I would say, your odds are much greater of them falling out of bed. This was the first year I allowed my youngest to sleep in the upper - she is 7. ;)

We always travel in balconies with no worries. The kids are never allowed out there without us. Period. And the door locks are child proof. And some are mommy proof ;p

The question OP asked about options that would have a sofa because she knew that they were too little to sleep on an upper.

We didn't start cruising until the youngest was 5. I might have been paranoid about it when they were little. However, as others have said, as long as you keep the door closed and bolted on top, you will be fine.

I still have to help my 7 and 9 year olds with the door sometimes ;).

The question OP asked about options that would have a sofa because she knew that they were too little to sleep on an upper.

Ohhh good! THANK YOU! Ya know, ever since I started reading CC on my phone, I miss so much around here. I would have noticed the same screen name asking the sleeping arrangement question if I was still reading on my lap top.

I apologize OP!!!! You are covering all of your bases! ;)

You are not paranoid. We have 7 kids and will not get a balcony room .WE are fine with windows :) I think you are actually brave for getting the balcony. My kids are very well behaved and well traveled, but I it only takes one night of mom & dad going out without them for them to open the door and jump over. No way.

Ohhh good! THANK YOU! Ya know, ever since I started reading CC on my phone, I miss so much around here. I would have noticed the same screen name asking the sleeping arrangement question if I was still reading on my lap top.

Crusinmama...now I am a little concerned. We have 2 connecting ocean view cabins (one for me and hubby and one for our three boys). The boys cabin is actually a quad and since my youngest loves bunk beds we were going to give him the upper and leave the couch for sitting. Is it really common for kids to fall off or get hurt up there? We have never had an upper before. He is 7, so not like he is a toddler, but I just never thought about it being a problem before reading your post :)

See, I am a paranoid mom!

Michelle

Crusinmama...now I am a little concerned. We have 2 connecting ocean view cabins (one for me and hubby and one for our three boys). The boys cabin is actually a quad and since my youngest loves bunk beds we were going to give him the upper and leave the couch for sitting. Is it really common for kids to fall off or get hurt up there? We have never had an upper before. He is 7, so not like he is a toddler, but I just never thought about it being a problem before reading your post :)

See, I am a paranoid mom!

Michelle

If he is 7 and doesn't move around a lot in his sleep (even though mine does) then he should be fine. There was even a 12 year old that fell out (forgot he was in an upper, went to the bathroom in the middle of the night half asleep, broke his leg) So its not impossible. There are bed rails. For older kids it should be fine.

Its okay, i do the same when on my phone :D Yeah, they definitley are not sleeping on uppers, which is kinda why i think a balcony is my only choice for the sofa bed. Unless I put them on the floor. Or all 4 of us in bed (which I really would rather not! ;) )

For what it's worth, we don't get a balcony room, we do however, get the picture window room. My kids are older (10 and 12) but we just don't want to even think about it, or for that matter, argue with them that they can't go on the balcony when we aren't out there. It's just one less thing to worry about. They will be old enough to be by themselves for a short period or to meet us here or there. I don't want to think about the balcony. I know my kids will be safe sitting on the window ledge though. :)

Its okay, i do the same when on my phone :D Yeah, they definitley are not sleeping on uppers, which is kinda why i think a balcony is my only choice for the sofa bed. Unless I put them on the floor. Or all 4 of us in bed (which I really would rather not! ;) )

Not sure if you saw my response, but on Carnival's Conquest class ships, and several others, the ocean view rooms have a couch that makes into a bed. Not sure what line you are sailing on, so it may not be an option for you.

Not sure if you saw my response, but on Carnival's Conquest class ships, and several others, the ocean view rooms have a couch that makes into a bed. Not sure what line you are sailing on, so it may not be an option for you.

I'm sorry, I must have missed that! We're sailing on carnival pride.

Prinycesa07...

You should have no problem if you are sailing on the Pride. I just looked at the deck plans and I see that there are plenty of quad ocean view cabins and they all have a couch. We have always had a balcony before, but I am looking forward to the extra room space with the ocean view, plus not having to worry about my youngest :)

Enjoy your cruise whatever type of cabin you choose!

Archived