Not Sure Whether to Go to Denali NP

paylady

I am planning our 6th cruise to Alaska with an independent land portion after a NB cruise that ends in Seward. DH and I still aren't sold on Denali NP. We love scenery, but aren't sure Denali offers the type of experience we enjoy. In researching the TWT, what I have learned is there is absolutely no guarantee we will see Mt. McKinley or wildlife up close. The TWT does drive along some mountains and that can be a little scary for DH but I'm sure he'll survive. I am also getting the impression the scenery isn't that great on a day when you don't see the mountain, and there is a good chance we won't.

Am I getting the wrong impression? Is the scenery at least as good as the Klondike Hwy. between Skagway and Emerald Lake (I do realize we're talking apples and oranges but need some idea scenery-wise)?

Also, I know we won't like driving straight through from Anchorage to Denali. If we drive, we'll stop in Talkeetna for at least a night and take the flightseeing. I just don't know if we want to see Denali after that.

To help you understand what we do like:

DH especially likes the Alaska RR Coastal Classic and Goldstar service. He'd rather leave the driving to the train and enjoy the scenery and experience of the train.

We love taking the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruises for the sea life and scenery. I don't think I could be in Seward without taking one of these cruises - that's how much I like them.

The three times we've driven the Klondike Hwy. from Skagway for the scenery and we've seen bears along the road twice and a moose another time. That was an added treat, especially the bears since they are eating along the side of the road and we were quite close without disturbing the bear.

I also love, love, love whales.

So, while I'm convinced I would like flightseeing from Talkeetna, I'm not so sure about Denali. I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have been to Denali more than once for a balanced viewpoint. Sometimes folks get lucky on their one and only trip (wildlife walks in front or next to your bus, Mt. McKinley was out on a sunny day, etc). I'm one of those people who have been whale watching five+ times and have never seen a whale breach or bubble feed so I am realistic about what I might experience in Alaska.

If you think Denali scenery isn't great on a rainy day, do you think a flightseeing tour from Talkeetna will be any better? I've attemped the flightseeing twice in Talkeetna and it was cloudy and raining so all flights were cancelled. And Talkeetna is nothing to look at on a gloomy wet day IMHO.

I've only made 3 trips to Denali; I've never seen the mountain while I'm there, only while driving to and from. It would be a bonus, but it's not a priority. My focus is the wildlife and scenery. I've always seen bear and cubs, caribou, dall sheep. But, it doesn't sound like Denali is your type of experience so why go? especially when the Talkeetna leg may not be good either.

Since you enjoy the Kenai cruise so much, it sounds like locations near the sea would be a better match. Why not concentrate your land travel on the Kenai Peninsula? Use the interactive map in this link to learn about each community. http://www.kenaipeninsula.org/

Drive to Homer and spend a few days. http://www.homeralaska.org/ (send for a free visitor guide). There's a lot to see and do in Homer to keep you busy for a couple of days and some nice B&B's. Take the ferry to Halibut Cove for lunch and a little sightseeing. The drive from Seward to Homer is quite lovely.. stop at Cooper Landing and have lunch at the Kenai Princess with views of the Kenai River, after Soldotna you have several nice beach access points, great views of the volcanos, and the Russian church. On a clear day, take a flight seeing trip out of Homer or Soldotna. The Kenai Peninsula might be a better option based on your interests.

Do a little research, look at travel books, photos, youtbe videos. Make a decision based on your interests and priorities. Good luck ! :>)

If you think Denali scenery isn't great on a rainy day, do you think a flightseeing tour from Talkeetna will be any better? I've attemped the flightseeing twice in Talkeetna and it was cloudy and raining so all flights were cancelled. And Talkeetna is nothing to look at on a gloomy wet day IMHO.

I've only made 3 trips to Denali; I've never seen the mountain while I'm there, only while driving to and from. It would be a bonus, but it's not a priority. My focus is the wildlife and scenery. I've always seen bear and cubs, caribou, dall sheep. But, it doesn't sound like Denali is your type of experience so why go? especially when the Talkeetna leg may not be good either.

Since you enjoy the Kenai cruise so much, it sounds like locations near the sea would be a better match. Why not concentrate your land travel on the Kenai Peninsula? Use the interactive map in this link to learn about each community. http://www.kenaipeninsula.org/

Drive to Homer and spend a few days. http://www.homeralaska.org/ (send for a free visitor guide). There's a lot to see and do in Homer to keep you busy for a couple of days and some nice B&B's. Take the ferry to Halibut Cove for lunch and a little sightseeing. The drive from Seward to Homer is quite lovely.. stop at Cooper Landing and have lunch at the Kenai Princess with views of the Kenai River, after Soldotna you have several nice beach access points, great views of the volcanos, and the Russian church. On a clear day, take a flight seeing trip out of Homer or Soldotna. The Kenai Peninsula might be a better option based on your interests.

Do a little research, look at travel books, photos, youtbe videos. Make a decision based on your interests and priorities. Good luck ! :>)

Thanks, mapleleaves. I already requested the Homer visitor guide earlier this week as I suspected we would much rather stay on the Kenai Peninsula. I was doing my homework again this year on Denali and was still not convinced which is why I thought to ask others who have experienced it. I keep thinking what am I missing here? I was telling DH at lunch that I was going to view some more videos on youtube of the NP to see what I might be missing.

I am planning our 6th cruise to Alaska with an independent land portion after a NB cruise that ends in Seward. DH and I still aren't sold on Denali NP. We love scenery, but aren't sure Denali offers the type of experience we enjoy. In researching the TWT, what I have learned is there is absolutely no guarantee we will see Mt. McKinley or wildlife up close. The TWT does drive along some mountains and that can be a little scary for DH but I'm sure he'll survive. I am also getting the impression the scenery isn't that great on a day when you don't see the mountain, and there is a good chance we won't.

Am I getting the wrong impression? Is the scenery at least as good as the Klondike Hwy. between Skagway and Emerald Lake (I do realize we're talking apples and oranges but need some idea scenery-wise)?

Also, I know we won't like driving straight through from Anchorage to Denali. If we drive, we'll stop in Talkeetna for at least a night and take the flightseeing. I just don't know if we want to see Denali after that.

To help you understand what we do like:

DH especially likes the Alaska RR Coastal Classic and Goldstar service. He'd rather leave the driving to the train and enjoy the scenery and experience of the train.

We love taking the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruises for the sea life and scenery. I don't think I could be in Seward without taking one of these cruises - that's how much I like them.

The three times we've driven the Klondike Hwy. from Skagway for the scenery and we've seen bears along the road twice and a moose another time. That was an added treat, especially the bears since they are eating along the side of the road and we were quite close without disturbing the bear.

I also love, love, love whales.

So, while I'm convinced I would like flightseeing from Talkeetna, I'm not so sure about Denali. I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have been to Denali more than once for a balanced viewpoint. Sometimes folks get lucky on their one and only trip (wildlife walks in front or next to your bus, Mt. McKinley was out on a sunny day, etc). I'm one of those people who have been whale watching five+ times and have never seen a whale breach or bubble feed so I am realistic about what I might experience in Alaska.

The whole tone of your post, is you don't want to go to Denali??? You mention nothing but the negatives, don't like driving, want close wildlife, a big priority to see McKinely etc etc. You seem to have looked at some details, although I would never consider any tour bus in Denali, and only the shuttle buses? You list the TWT??

Facts are- you have already set yourself up for disappointment- McKinley is NOT likely to be viewable on a single entry into Denali and you have chosen the most restrictive, costly and limited choice with the TWT. Wildlife is common, but, it's not a zoo, nor likely to be close by. Binoculars are necessar (but they also are on the Kenai Fjords boat tours, in my opinion)

You state this is trip 6 to Alaska, why are you going? For the cruise?, No interior Alaska touring prior? These are all questions you may want to consider asking yourself.

You state you like the Kenai Fjords boat tours?? I park myself in Seward and repeatively go out- last year 3 trips, This may be a good suggestion? Have you done Northwestern Fjords? Have you boat toured PWS out of Whittier??

Homer may be a good suggestion to consider. Look at the bear tours? IF in the right timeframe, superb reports.

The scenic train trip through Denali is nice enough, but if you are going with the specific intent to see McKinley you may be disappointed. We took a plane trip (Denali Air) and got to see pieces of it--it's so big that you have to be far away to see the whole thing. It has been my experience that McKinley is often enshrouded in clouds in the summer. We went once in the winter (an awesome trip) and we could see McKinley clearly in all its glory the whole time. If McKinley is the brass ring, then fly to Anchorage in the spring or fall and drive up the highway to Fairbanks. It's an easy drive and the road is good.

If you're going to consider being anywhere close to Denali, how could you NOT visit that beautiful park? Since your husband likes the train service, why not take that up to Denali & then take a tour of the park?

We were there in Sept 2009 with a HAL cruise-tour. The husband took the 6-8 hour TWT & saw 4 of the big 5 (all but a wolf). I wasn't interested in that kind of time on an old school bus, so hiked into the park to the kennels, to play with the park's sled dogs. We both enjoyed our day.

Here's a few of the husband's pix from Denali:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjogCW46

The great mountain was mostly out. The day was a bit overcast. But McKinley is so big it makes its own weather. You can have a beautiful day in the park & then the mountain can be obscured by clouds.

We're returning to AK in Sept with a group of friends, but just on a cruise. A part of me is disappointed that we won't have any time in the interior.

If you're going to consider being anywhere close to Denali, how could you NOT visit that beautiful park? Since your husband likes the train service, why not take that up to Denali & then take a tour of the park?

We were there in Sept 2009 with a HAL cruise-tour. The husband took the 6-8 hour TWT & saw 4 of the big 5 (all but a wolf). I wasn't interested in that kind of time on an old school bus, so hiked into the park to the kennels, to play with the park's sled dogs. We both enjoyed our day.

Here's a few of the husband's pix from Denali:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjogCW46

The great mountain was mostly out. The day was a bit overcast. But McKinley is so big it makes its own weather. You can have a beautiful day in the park & then the mountain can be obscured by clouds.

We're returning to AK in Sept with a group of friends, but just on a cruise. A part of me is disappointed that we won't have any time in the interior.

WOW, I'm so jealous! Your husband got some wonderful photos. I saw all the animals, but not close enough for my point n shoot camera.

ABSOLUTELY WHAT DENALI NATIONAL PARK is all about!

Archived