Royal Carribean Trip Insurance

Has anyone had to cancel cruise because of job loss? We have trip insurance through Royal but it seems like you only get 75% back toward a future cruise.

How long is it good for? We tried calling and its confusing. Anyone have experiences?

The cash refund policy is for "covered reasons". The "cancel for any reason" feature is a future cruise credit.

Are you already past final payment? How many days?

There is also a "Cruise/Travel Insurance" subforum under "Cruise Discussion Topics".

"Job loss" is not a covered loss on RCI's travel insurance. Therefore, you have to be covered under the "cancel for any reason". That is why you get 75% back for another cruise. You would have to consult your policy or call RCI's insurance department for how long that is good for. Remember, if you are before final payment, you may cancel and get all your money back. No insurance claim needed. Of course, you never get a refund for purchased insurance.

Wasn't exactly a job loss. We were booked B2B on Adventure November 2009 for our 25th anniversary. In July I passed out striking my eye on the corner of the counter rupturing it. In October my husband was told his job of 22 years was ending on December 23rd. We were still planning on going then the doctor said I had to have surgery again. This time he wanted to put gas in my eye instead of silicone oil because I didn't need another surgery to remove it. He said it would probably be gone by the time we were set to leave. 2 weeks before, he says I need surgery again. I could have pushed it and had surgery when I returned which may lead to consequences to my retina. I could have demanded they use silicone oil and they could have because I ended up under the knife in march.

Bottom line is I had the insurance and knew getting out money back would help with our expenses once DH lost his job. We cancelled and the insurance payed everything 100%. The flight, cruise, hotels. We got it all back. Don't know if you do for a job loss.

We look back now and say we should have just said lets go. It didn't change anything by not going. It was all paid for. We could have had a good time as it would have been the last vacation we got for the foreseeable future. And now that I know my vision wouldn't have changed any by waiting till we returned.

We are after final payment and only 3 weeks out;we are torn. DH was immediately applying for jobs and has 1 interview for next week. I dont want to loose 25% which is about 1300 and only having a year to use it. Also not sure about the airline as we booked it ourselves. I would hate to miss the possibility for job interviews while we are unable to have cell or internet access on the cruise. DH works extremely hard and deserves to go I just dont know if its worth the risk. If we could get cash back it would be a no brainer.

Well, you could always call and plead your case. The problem is, they may want you to cancel the cruise first, before they discuss your options.

Since you don't really have to cancel, maybe you should just go. You will have internet access while on the cruise if you pay the per minute charge or buy a package. You can also check your cell service to see how much calls would be in port.

Archived