Will we like Celebrity?

sabookkeeper

Hi, my cruise in Nov on the Eclipse will be my first on "S" class (my 39th on all--Princess, HAL, Celeb "M"class, RCCL, Delta Steamship, NCL, Sitmar, Royal, & ((USS Nimitz - a Tiger Cruise))). I like to walk about on deck and from your pix it does not look like there is much area to do that. Can you get to the aft for the wake? Someone on another post described the Eclipse as a fancy hotel that swayed, because there are not a lot of windows. I guess I have been spoiled by the older ships, with the deck chairs and the sounds of the ocean. Thank you

You can see the wake from two upper decks, not from promenade deck level.

21qwzc.jpg

erdd0w.jpg

There are a few deck chairs in the open parts of the promenade deck (portside for smokers).

Someone on another post described the Eclipse as a fancy hotel that swayed, because there are not a lot of windows.

Not a lot of windows? Amazing what some people come up with! Probably a comment from someone who hasn't even seen one of this class of ships up close, much less been on one.

The Solstice class ships have won raves as some of the airiest, most open to the ocean, ships currently in the cruise business. They may not have a promenade deck, but what they do have far outweighs a closed in and covered walkway that is not much more practical than a long, narrow porch. For me, a wrap around promenade deck is not much of a selling point, and when I've been on ships that have them, they are not very well utilized. I much prefer the uppermost decks where I can enjoy the sunlight and 360 degree views.

We are pretty easy going so I'm sure we will enjoy sailing with Celebrity.

On Princess when we board we can go directly to our cabin. Is this the same on Celebrity?

On Celebrity the staterooms are not usually ready until 1PM. If you board earlier than that you'll be directed to the buffet for lunch but all public areas of the ship are open to you.

Not a lot of windows? Amazing what some people come up with! Probably a comment from someone who hasn't even seen one of this class of ships up close, much less been on one.

This is an exaggeration. The Eclipse has enough windows.

The Solstice class ships have won raves as some of the airiest, most open to the ocean, ships currently in the cruise business.

This is an exaggeration too. A ship without a promenade deck technically does not belong to that category.

They may not have a promenade deck, but what they do have far outweighs a closed in and covered walkway that is not much more practical than a long, narrow porch. For me, a wrap around promenade deck is not much of a selling point, and when I've been on ships that have them, they are not very well utilized. I much prefer the uppermost decks where I can enjoy the sunlight and 360 degree views.

Promenade deck on the Eclipse (bow to stern):

zld91u.jpg

Jogging track on the Eclipse:

2qclb9x.jpg

Actually we had B2B cruise HAL Eurodam + Celebrity Eclipse.

On the Eurodam we enjoyed absolutely beautiful wrap-around teak wood promenade deck and sunlight with 360 degree views.

11rvz9f.jpg

259gyvm.jpg

However, the forward observation area on the Eclipse is very good (my favorite place on the Eclipse):

6dsn4k.jpg

My husband and I have cruised about twenty times since 1980. Frankly, I haven't kept track. We are both Platinum on Princess which means we've cruised them six times or more. We decided to go with Celebrity Solstice to Europe last Nov. 2011 since we liked the itinerary and had heard that Celebrity is par with Princess. Here is my review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93102 Our main complaint was the food. Service also was lacking.

Maybe our cruise was a fluke. I've looked at recent reviews of the same ship after it was in dry dock and it looks like they finally eradicated the Norovirus. If you read my review you will see I loved the ship and itinerary. The rest was underwhelming. We don't regret it but we'll stick to Princess.

As for Celebrity being superior to Princess, no. I don't agree. Even if the basis was just the ship, Celebrity has more of a modern feel while Princess is more classic. I prefer classic but I appreciate modern. Hey, I get it. It's just not my taste and I will enjoy it on vacation if the food is great and the service is likewise wonderful.

This is an exaggeration too. A ship without a promenade deck technically does not belong to that category.

On the Eurodam we enjoyed absolutely beautiful wrap-around teak wood promenade deck and sunlight with 360 degree views.

A ship is so much more than just a promenade deck. I don't see how a covered deck with a view out in only one direction could be considered as open "with 360 degree views". The upper deck areas elsewhere on any ship contributes much more to the feeling of openness. In many people's opinions, the grass areas on the Solstice class ships are far superior an experience than is typical found on most ships. I will gladly sacrifice a little used wrap around promenade deck for such an grand area to lounge, to enjoy the sea air, to play a variety of games, to lay out a blanket and enjoy a picnic, and to watch the moon and stars overhead on a warm tropical night at sea.

But, as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary". We should both consider ourselves fortunate that different ships provide different experiences so that we may chose the one that pleases us the most.

My husband and I have cruised about twenty times since 1980. Frankly, I haven't kept track. We are both Platinum on Princess which means we've cruised them six times or more. We decided to go with Celebrity Solstice to Europe last Nov. 2011 since we liked the itinerary and had heard that Celebrity is par with Princess. Here is my review. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93102 Our main complaint was the food. Service also was lacking.

Maybe our cruise was a fluke. I've looked at recent reviews of the same ship after it was in dry dock and it looks like they finally eradicated the Norovirus. If you read my review you will see I loved the ship and itinerary. The rest was underwhelming. We don't regret it but we'll stick to Princess.

As for Celebrity being superior to Princess, no. I don't agree. Even if the basis was just the ship, Celebrity has more of a modern feel while Princess is more classic. I prefer classic but I appreciate modern. Hey, I get it. It's just not my taste and I will enjoy it on vacation if the food is great and the service is likewise wonderful.

I read your review. Not too many positives. I prefer a sanitized ship. You said sanitizers were an issue, too annoying. Enjoy Princess, but they utilize sanitizers!

I don't see how a covered deck with a view out in only one direction could be considered as open "with 360 degree views". The upper deck areas elsewhere on any ship contributes much more to the feeling of openness.

"and sunlight with 360 degree views" belongs to the second set of photos (upper decks).

On Celebrity the staterooms are not usually ready until 1PM. If you board earlier than that you'll be directed to the buffet for lunch but all public areas of the ship are open to you.

Thanks...as we have to carry CPAP machines with us, we might decide to board later than we do with Princess.

I am sure you will it enjoy the cruise as it is more elegant, quieter, and relaxing.

If you don't appreciate those things then you will be disappointed.

If you smoke you will not be happy as the ship is basically smoke free with very limited smoking areas.

I read your review. Not too many positives. I prefer a sanitized ship. You said sanitizers were an issue, too annoying. Enjoy Princess, but they utilize sanitizers!

I don't understand your post. Do you agree with me or not?

Whatever the intent, I said in my review that the ship, the room, the itinerary and the excursions were excellent. The food and the service were lacking. I don't understand the "not too many positives comment."

I've been on Princess when they used the sanitizers. However, it did not permeate everywhere I went. On my second Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess we were delayed boarding for about 1 1/2 hours because of the Norovirus on the previous cruise. We didn't have any problems on the cruise from the virus.

I am sure you will it enjoy the cruise as it is more elegant, quieter, and relaxing.

If you smoke you will not be happy as the ship is basically smoke free with very limited smoking areas.

.[/quote

Hmm. More elegant, quieter and relaxing than Princess. Well I'm Platinum with Princess which means I've traveled more than six times with them. Actually, I've cruised about twenty times on various lines since 1980. Sorry, I really haven't kept track.

My husband went on Celebrity for the first time last Nov.to experience a change. Let's just say it wasn't the greatest.

I'll just say that Princess is on par or better than Celebrity. Click on my name and read my review and others.

Hmm. More elegant, quieter and relaxing than Princess. Well I'm Platinum with Princess which means I've traveled more than six times with them. Actually, I've cruised about twenty times on various lines since 1980. Sorry, I really haven't kept track.

My husband went on Celebrity for the first time last Nov.to experience a change. Let's just say it wasn't the greatest.

I'll just say that Princess is on par or better than Celebrity. Click on my name and read my review and others.

Well, I've been on both and I would have to say you got this backwards. Celebrity has been the better experience for the three cruises I have taken with them so far, with two more already booked. On the six Princess cruises we've taken, the annoying MUTTs screens, the horrid smoking policy (which fortunately has FINALLY been improved), the run-of-the-mill art and decor, the fine but not superior service, and the mainstream quality food haven't impressed me that much. We pretty much ignore Princess now because we prefer the better product that Celebrity provides.

Nothing really wrong with Princess - they are better than most. It's just that there are better products out there. The results of the CruiseCritic Reader's Choice Awards mentioned in post #20 supports that opinion.

Just back from Celebrity Eclipse - the best ship in Celebrity fleet.

My comparison (X=Celbrity, P=Princess)

Cabins

X - cabins look more contemporary

P - balconies are not obstructed with life boats; there is a whole deck of mini suites; minis are much more affordable than sky suites on X

==Equal==

Public rooms

X - overall more space, stunning atrium with glass elevators

==X wins==

Layout

X- two banks of elevators

P - three banks of elevators

==P wins==

Theatre

X - better design

==X wins==

Entertainment

X - Imbalanced: cheesy choreography, good voices, cheap costumes, annoying CD, absolutely fantastic guest performer (pianist), unique hot glass show

P - Well balanced entertainment program

==Equal thanks to X guest performer==

Promenade Deck

X - Total failure. Major design flaw. Two corridors behind life boats on both sides of the ship with a couple of open spaces.

2uib1jq.jpg

P - Unique wrap-around bow to stern promenade deck.

2mr9qpu.jpg

==P wins==

Sun/Pool decks

X - Inadequate space, overly congested on sea days, 1/3 of the ship has been eaten up by grass lawns, three pools (one covered)

P - Four pools, plenty of space

==P wins==

Main Restaurant

Great menus, excellent service on both

==Equal==

Lido Buffet, Additional Options

X - Worst croissants/pastries for breakfast I have ever seen on a cruise ship, food quality otherwise - good but nothing to remember

P - very good, variety of tasty food, excellent desserts, poor coffee, International Cafe + Pub Lunch were much better than similar "atrium type" venues on X

==P wins==

Afternoon tea

X - a few trays of appropriate food in the lido buffet

P - a proper afternoon tea in a restaurant setting free of charge ($25 on X one time a cruise with added champagne)

==P wins==

Extra charge Restaurants

X - Murano is a true value ($40), Qsine was more fun than food (not worth $40)

P - both were good

==X wins==

Service

Excellent and equal on both.

Overall - Princess wins.

If a ship has no promenade deck - it's not a ship.

Another thing we did not like - congested pool decks.

We understand that Celebrity wanted to be "unlike any other" with their grass loans. But we have plenty of grass at home. We cruise to get away of it.

We had a nice sampling cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse but we won't cruise again on this class of ships just because there are better options.

Then you won't be sailing the new princess ships? same lifeboat configuration as Celebrity

Having sailed the Grand Princess in December and the Eclipse last week, there was no comparison betwen the lines. Princess can't hold a candle to the new Celebrity ships. Every aspect of my Eclipse cruise far and away was better than on the grand

We don't smoke and relaxing and quiet is exactly what we look for. We have been to these islands before, so we will just want to find somehwere on the ship to relax and read.

Having sailed the Grand Princess in December and the Eclipse last week, there was no comparison betwen the lines. Princess can't hold a candle to the new Celebrity ships. Every aspect of my Eclipse cruise far and away was better than on the grand

We have friends that were Princess fans. We talked them into taking their first Celebrity cruise with us last summer. They now have another Celebrity cruise booked, and are about to book another. It's gratifying to help lost souls find their way in life :D:D

Then you won't be sailing the new princess ships? same lifeboat configuration as Celebrity

You have skipped other things important to us (food, pool decks, shows).

The Eclipse was OK but we will spend money on overall better products.

I have seen early renderings of the new Princess ships.

They look disappointing so far.

However the promenade deck does not look as bad as on Solstice class.

New big ships are always tempting.

We'll see.

You have skipped other things important to us (food, pool decks, shows).

The Eclipse was OK but we will spend money on overall better products.

I have seen early renderings of the new Princess ships.

They look disappointing so far.

However the promenade deck does not look as bad as on Solstice class.

New big ships are always tempting.

We'll see.

Lets not skip then:

Grand Princess food: I ate in all alternative restaurants each night, poor decor, felt the food was defaintely a notch below Celebrity (the Crown grill felt like a mall chain restaurant). On the Eclipse the alternative restaurants were a HUGE step above Grand. I was assigned to Blu and Grand doesn't even have an alternative option close to this one let alone Muranos

Pools: Thankfully no 300foot TV screen blaring Barry Manilow videos all day on the Eclipse and the indoor pool was tranquil on the Eclipse vs loud on the Grand

Decks: Even the fake teak is better than the Grands blue astro truf, yuk...Eclipse won for me

Shows: Don't go to them, I'll stick to B'way or the West End

Service: Grand, all I heard was wa-wa-wa we cant wait for our contract to end, on Eclipse our bartender said guests are like his family

In this segment, you can not beat the new Celebrity ships. Princess is a solid Marriot hotel experience, does not wow, does not offend, does really nothing. Eclipse left me wanting to get back on board ASAP

My husband and I have been on 20+ cruises. We have sailed with NCL, HAL, Princess and Celebrity. Celebrity is by far the best cruise line. We have decided that we are staying with them and we are now Elite members. I think there are always things on other ships that you would like to have on your ship, but to me, the most important things are quality, service, and food. Celebrity surpasses all other cruise lines in these categories. We sailed with Princess and I have to say the first cruise was great, but hated the mini-suites with open balconies. I don't like to have a whole shipload of people looking down on me and one night when I was sitting out there, they decided to wash the top deck and water came crashing down on us. We called and they weren't the least bit concerned about it and proceeded to do it again on another night. The second cruise on Princess was so bad, we opted not to try a third. NCL is just horrible, but HAL is good.

If you have young children, or even teenagers, I would not recommend Celebrity to you. I would recommend Royal Caribbean.

The alternative restaurants on Celebrity, while expensive, are worth every penny. The Martini Bar is EXCEPTIONAL! You feel like you are watching Tom Cruise in "Cocktail" because the bartenders are very talented and this is actually our entertainment at night - don't miss it. Even if you don't drink martini's, it's a fun place to be.

The staff on Celebrity is the best we've ever encountered anywhere. EVERYONE says hello to you. One of their Captains is so funny, you look forward to his announcements every day and you often see him in pool games with the passengers, etc.

I could go on and on about Celebrity, but everyone has their own experiences with each cruise line, but our best experiences by far, have been with Celebrity. We just came off the Silhouette sailing in February and we are booked on one of the Mediterranean cruises in November.

I hope you enjoy it!

Conor's Grandma

Nothing really wrong with Princess - they are better than most. It's just that there are better products out there. The results of the CruiseCritic Reader's Choice Awards mentioned in post #20 supports that opinion.

Thanks for referencing my post with the link to the Reader's Choice awards http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...oice_index.cfm. It's noteworthy that seven of Celebrity's nine ships made the top ten in their categories, including all four of the Solstice class ships, while only one of Princess' seventeen ships made any top ten list. Again, these are your fellow CruiseCritic members who are the source of these ratings. It is not just an opinion.

There is no ignoring that the majority of CruiseCritic members consider Celebrity a better cruise line than Princess. Princess is still a good line, but it isn't in Celebrity's class.

Lets not skip then:

Grand Princess food: I ate in all alternative restaurants each night, poor decor, felt the food was defaintely a notch below Celebrity (the Crown grill felt like a mall chain restaurant). On the Eclipse the alternative restaurants were a HUGE step above Grand. I was assigned to Blu and Grand doesn't even have an alternative option close to this one let alone Muranos

Pools: Thankfully no 300foot TV screen blaring Barry Manilow videos all day on the Eclipse and the indoor pool was tranquil on the Eclipse vs loud on the Grand

Decks: Even the fake teak is better than the Grands blue astro truf, yuk...Eclipse won for me

Shows: Don't go to them, I'll stick to B'way or the West End

Service: Grand, all I heard was wa-wa-wa we cant wait for our contract to end, on Eclipse our bartender said guests are like his family

In this segment, you can not beat the new Celebrity ships. Princess is a solid Marriot hotel experience, does not wow, does not offend, does really nothing. Eclipse left me wanting to get back on board ASAP

Without going into details I would say that the best Celebrity ship vs the oldest Princess ship it's not a fair comparison.

I am not a fan of any cruise line.

I just prefer better ships.

I can add.

My photos above and below are not from promo catalogues, not from press releases. They are live and fresh from the ships.

We've just had B2B (HAL Eurodam + Celebrity Eclipse).

The first part of our B2B cruise on the Eurodam was much more enjoyable than the second one on the Eclipse.

On the Eurodam, we found more space on open decks, no crowds, beautiful promenade, better food, better shows, overall higher culture of service included in the price (pls see photo below), better ship layout, hydropool in spa ("high tech" 120 000 tons Eclipse does not have it).

Not to mention that HAL itinerary was far superior with two resort islands included.

Sure, the soaring atrium on the Eclipse was unbeatable.

We paid less for the same class of cabin on the Eurodam.

We have tried the Solstice class.

It was OK for one time.

No more.

There is nothing but a practical reason behind this.

We have to spend hard earned money and precious vacation days on something better.

Afternoon tea on the Celebrity Eclipse:

126fn8l.jpg

Afternoon tea on the Eurodam:

2h6uff7.jpg

Archived