Just curious

Bridge Maven

TO HAPPY CRUISER 6143,

Lake Superior is "phenominal"... really amazing in its magnitude of size, striking scenery and sense of "untamed" majesty (and cold forbidden isolation) ... gives one a new respect for the Great Lakes !!

Cheers!

PS... You will LOVE the Western National Parks... have been to all but one on your list... the Grand Tetons... (still to check that off my MUST DO List... plan to combine with a circular trip that takes in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Nevada and Utah). Lots of GREAT American scenery along that route !!

That is wonderful; and, I predict, all other things being equal, that you will be a member of the 5000 club by May 1, 2013. You may have to increase your cruising endeavors in order to become elite by that date.

Our first custom built house in Fairfax County, Virginia, had a private lake. The second home in that county had a very large pool and cabana etc., Over the years, I have visited many beaches on the east coast such as Ocean City Maryland, Reheboth, Lewes, and Bethany Beach Deleware, Virginia Beach, Virginia, Nagshead etc., North Carolina, many beaches on Chesapeake Bay, almost all of the east coast beaches in Florida, and most of the westcoast beaches therein.

Most of the above visits involved fishing (on boats and beaches), crabbing and just plain beaching.

We owned a beautiful beachfront condo on Estero Island Fl for ten years, but we know live off island in SWFL, and we are within driving distance of that Island, Sanibel Island, (recently named by Arthur Frommer as the world's number one vacation spot) and many other beautiful beaches.

As a result, when we cruise we enjoy visiting the beautiful caribbean beaches, since we have taken many land vacations to many of the islands we visit while cruising.

That is wonderful; and, I predict, all other things being equal, that you will be a member of the 5000 club by May 1, 2013. You may have to increase your cruising endeavors in order to become elite by that date.

I don't get your post but don't forget we'll probably have another computer change and everyone will lose the number of posts they currently have again. I've had that happen about three times, probably have 50,000 plus posts since I've been on CC but thats the way it goes...

We did resorts when the kids were younger and enjoyed them then but not now. Currently cruising is our holiday of choice, we both work f/t and its the only way I know to get DH to leave work totally behind! I have to say that we love all aspects of cruising - what's not to like ;)

In between, we enjoy weekends away playing golf in Ireland. I've only been to the USA once on business so we're planning a long road trip there once we're retired :)

A Sixth: As a native NYer who personally witnessed 9-11, that third photo you posted pulled a heartstring....

Yup... ironically in 2001 I finally toured the WTC for the first time even though living in Montreal I get to NYC often. As some may recall the twin towers weren't well received by many when they were built and as a young student I along with many rebels kinda boycotted them through the 70's-80's

Here's another of my buddy at the helm as we sailed south towards Sandy Hook, in 1997 as I recall

25t80md.jpg

Those of us in the Seattle/Puget Sound area are very lucky, in that we can just hop on a ferry and take a nice local day-trip. My favorite is the ancient and honorable Coho (BlackBall Ferries) -- which has been faithfully running between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC for over half a century! :cool:

We love cruising and the ships......:)

We do land based vacations but, our favorite getaway is to spend a week on Cozumel and getting in some serious scuba diving time. :D Cozumel is such a different place after the ships pull out and the REAL Cozumel people come out ;)

We live a few miles from the ocean so we arealways going to Ocean City to walk the boards which is great during the off season (OCT-APR) and going to Assateague Island to let our dog explore.

We enjoy land trips also.Spent 12 days in Arizona in 2010 and have been to Williamsburg,Va and Lancaster,Pa for vacations.We also like to spend a few weeks in Florida during the winter

............Frank

Cruising is a comfortable way for us to see other places and decide if we want to go back for a longer trip. We choose ships based on the itinerary and the reliability of the cruiseline for our preferences. Food and entertainment don't matter but cleanliness, noise and smoke are major factors.

Otherwise, we spend most of our vacation time between Las Vegas, Florida beaches, Orlando, New Orleans and Savannah. I'd like to spend more time in Manhattan, DC and Williamsburg but we've been there and done all that.

We take weeks in Paris and Italy and want to spend more time in Spain and Austria. In the US, we enjoy long road trips and will stay in a clean hotel, inn or cheap motel most anywhere except on an Indian Reservation.

We save our dollars for deluxe hotels in big cities or oceanfront only when we want to stay on the property and relax.

Coming up on the priority list are: another trip to the Hudson River Valley, New Hampshire again, and a driving adventure in Oregon.

Maris

Used to major on visiting deserts [once drove from Las Vegas to San Diego the long way taking in 6 different deserts] and cities before we found cruising!

Sue

Did you perchance drive along the eastside of the Salton Sea?

That's a strange area. We were driving north from Yuma to Palm Springs.

Maris

Our travels usually include an annual trip to Asia visiting culturally intense places such as Borneo, Tibet, Laos, etc. We try to end these adventures with a week at a beautiful Asia beach such as Khao Lak in Thailand, which has become our favorite. The sea, gentleness of the Thai people, the spa treatments, and scrumptious food are a perfect finale for these experiences. This year we're off to Myanmar (Burma) in the fall.

We are also city people and enjoy returning to Europe whenever possible both on cruises as well as independent land trips.

We cruise mostly for relaxation as the mesmerizing and therapeutic effects of the sea combined with the effortless mode of travel cannot be replicated elsewhere. At least for us. We're booked on the Solstice 18 nt. Sydney-Honolulu April 2013.

This could all change as we now have two tiny grandpeople in our lives and we are now thinking about a beach vacation much closer to home. We adored our week in Hawaii last year and will probably do something similar this year.

Fascinating thread, Bridge Maven.

Did you perchance drive along the eastside of the Salton Sea?

That's a strange area. We were driving north from Yuma to Palm Springs.

Maris

Maris

Yes, we "did" the Salton Sea although I could not say without checking which side. What we loved was how different each desert was.

Sue

We love the beach and take a week's vacation to Destin every year with our extended family. We have been staying at the same place for over 20 years. We should have bought it 20 years ago!
Other than that, we cruise!

Archived