The patch and alcohol...

hannahsmomtoo

This will be my first time cruising and I am nervous about getting seasick.

I do not normally get motion sickness in vehicles etc - but DID have a horrible experience on a small fishing boat during rough seas many years ago that is burned into my memory.

Anyway.. I have read about the patch that goes behind your ear.. my question is - has anyone experienced side effects from this? ( I read a post where the OP said they were unable to drink without falling asleep while earing the patch. )

Thank you !

I do not normally get motion sickness in vehicles etc - but DID have a horrible experience on a small fishing boat during rough seas many years ago that is burned into my memory.

Anyway.. I have read about the patch that goes behind your ear.. my question is - has anyone experienced side effects from this? ( I read a post where the OP said they were unable to drink without falling asleep while earing the patch. )

Thank you !

I have used it 2 or 3 times and had no kind of reaction. We also drink, not tons, but enough to feel nice, and no problem with the falling asleep. That said, everyone is different, so you never know. Check with your doctor and see if it would hurt to try it out for a weekend before you go. At least you'd know if it would make you sleepy or not.

Been on plenty of fishing boats in rough seas, got sick once. There's a big difference between a 80' fishing boat and 1000' cruise ship. Unless it's stormy the ride should be OK. Don't dwell on it. Have a great cruise.

Been on plenty of fishing boats in rough seas, got sick once. There's a big difference between a 80' fishing boat and 1000' cruise ship. Unless it's stormy the ride should be OK. Don't dwell on it. Have a great cruise.

I don't care how big the ship is, if its moving I get sick. I get sick in trains and in planes also. My hubby on the other hand, can't even feel the ship move most of the time. All people are different.......

I had the patch on our first cruise- dh insisted that we needed them, even tho I've never been seasick in my life. Darn thing gave me side effects - blurred vision and dizzy. It cleared up soon after taking that patch off.

My friend gets car sick easily and I was really worried about her going on her first cruise on the Holiday. I had her take Bonine as well as ginger root, started both a couple of days before the cruise. No problems, not a bit queasy. She's been on 2 now and swears by them. Drinking? Not a problem :D

I have been so thirsty and have had vision problems with the patch. From day one, I felt really thirsty and I had constant dry mouth. Each day I wore the patch, my vision got worse. I started reading the menu at dinner normally, but by day three, my arms weren't long enough to read it.

I don't drink a lot and haven't felt tired with it. I decided after a couple of cruises to change to something else. I now use Meclazine which is a generic and available at Walmart for a really low price. It is basically, I think, the same as Bonine which is OTC at drug stores etc.

I start the night before and use them morning and night until I feel the water is calm enough and I don't need them. There is no worse feeling than being seasick but in this day and age unless the seas are really rough, I am ok.

Enjoy!

As someone who gets car sick, air sick, sea sick etc. I wear the patch. After the 1st cruise and the blurred vision my pharmacist told me it was because the patch was too strong, cut it in half and only use half at a time. Worked like a charm. In 12 days will be starting our 14th and 15th cruise b2b. Can't wait!

On our recent cruise, I wore the patch because I had had great success with it on previous cruises....HOWEVER!!! This time around, I put it on on day one, all was good, on day 2, it was fine all day. We went to the evening show, and upon returning to our cabin, I took my glasses off and tried to have a look at the Fun Times. Much to my surprise, I could not focus on the paper at all!!! I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror and was horrified to see that my right pupil was dilated fully and my left pupil was almost pinpoint! I was so frightened. I tried to read the box that the patches came in to see if that may have been the contributing factor, but needless to say, I couldn't read it! It was past midnight, and we rushed down to Guest Services to see what they thought about it. He quickly telephoned the nurse on call, and she told me to take the patch off immediately. She said "We do not recommend the patch. We do not sell the patch onboard. There are simply too many side effects. Take it off IMMEDIATELY and wash the area well". It took 24 hours before my vision and my pupils returned to normal. Moral of my story: No more patches, find an alternative method. Ginger, green apples, Bonine?...Gravol ( we are Canadian), but I will not take the chance on the patch again!

I try a more natural approach... If you do feel nauseous have a can of ginger ale! Someone on cc told me ginger is a natural method of helping with seasickness, you can even buy ginger candy and teas...

I just got of off the Freedom and lords knows I had all of the side effects. Blurred vision, right eye dilated and extreme dry mouth. I felt like I couldn't drink enough water. My eye hasn't recovered yet but the dry mouth has finally gone away. I will NEVER wear the patch again.

My DH absolutely swears by the patch and also drinks whatever he wants with no serious side effects. Maybe he's in the minority, but he can not cruise comfortably without it!

I must be in the minority, as well, knock wood. I couldn't possibly cruise without the patch.....I can't even rock in a rocking chair!!:eek:

My DH absolutely swears by the patch and also drinks whatever he wants with no serious side effects. Maybe he's in the minority, but he can not cruise comfortably without it!

Same for us. My adult daughter and I both wear them quite comfortably and have no side effects whatsoever....and yes, we both drink to excess when we cruise :D Daughter gets so motion sick that she wouldn't be able to do it any other way. Soooo, please no nasty comments-for us the patches work like a charm.

I'm a nurse who suffers horribly from motion sickness. I've used the patch more times then I can remember. The only side effect I suffer is a severe case of dry mouth and unequal pupils. The med in the patch causes the eye to dilate on the side where the patch is placed. This subsides over time but will happen again after you change the patch. Some people only need to use 1/2 of a patch but unfortunately I need the whole thing. It can make some people tired but I try to ignore the fatigue and go about my day. And I don't restrict myself from enjoying cocktails. Heck, I'm on vacation and live with the rule that it's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world so if I'm in the mood to have a cocktail, the patch certainly doesn't stop me! As far as I'm concerned, cruising=vacation=fun and patches=no motion sickness=happy traveler! Real life starts again when I return home!!!

I'm a nurse who suffers horribly from motion sickness. I've used the patch more times then I can remember. The only side effect I suffer is a severe case of dry mouth and unequal pupils. The med in the patch causes the eye to dilate on the side where the patch is placed. This subsides over time but will happen again after you change the patch. Some people only need to use 1/2 of a patch but unfortunately I need the whole thing. It can make some people tired but I try to ignore the fatigue and go about my day. And I don't restrict myself from enjoying cocktails. Heck, I'm on vacation and live with the rule that it's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world so if I'm in the mood to have a cocktail, the patch certainly doesn't stop me! As far as I'm concerned, cruising=vacation=fun and patches=no motion sickness=happy traveler! Real life starts again when I return home!!!

Yep, I'm a retired registered nurse/aka school music teacher and I don't know if we could live without them :)

Hi Pam, it's Mel from Oz!!

Just cruising around on the site, thought I'd find you on here somewhere!! The Queen of Motion Sickness..hahahaha. We leave on the Singapore-Sydney cruise on the 29th March - I reckon we're bound to be rockin' and rollin' once we're closer to the Queensland coast. Now there's a challenge for ya!!

xxMel

P.S Say howdy to Greg..

Thank you !

It is a prescription only medication. Discuss the possible side effects with your physician. Have him/her prescribe a couple of extras and try one out on shore before you leave home to judge the side effects that you experience. If the side effects are too bad at home you can always pull it off and go to plan B on board the ship. Not so easy if you are on a rough cruise and bouncing around the ocean.

I must be in the minority, as well, knock wood. I couldn't possibly cruise without the patch.....I can't even rock in a rocking chair!!:eek:

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. So far, no side affects for me. But on my last cruise, one of my friends had to take hers off after one day, because she felt unwell. Definitely try it at home first.

Of course, I might have had side affects, but I was busy feeling 100x better than I normally do on a ship, so I didn't notice. :rolleyes:

Yes, do a trial run to see how you do on the patch. I did this the weekend before we cruised. I started using it on a Fri eve and wore it through Sun eve. I found that I did just fine with it and had no lasting side affects In addition, trying it out early, will allow you to contact your Physician and get a lower dose if you find that you are having vision problems which is usually associated with a dose that is too strong for you.

I have used them on both of our cruises and have had no side affects what so ever. I usually have a frozen cocktail or two up on the Lido and then wine with dinner and it did not interfere with the patch. (on me, anyway) I was however, a little drowsy, but I can honestly say that we were go-go-go from early morning until late-late in the evening so that may have been attributed to our schedule. One thing I do pack for those times when I am overly sleepy is a box of Crystal Lite Energy Formula. You pour one packet in a 16oz bottle of water and it will give you the little energy kick you may need.

Good luck to you and have a great cruise.

:):)

I always wear the patch (TransDerm Scop) and I drink quite a bit. I've never had that particular side effect, falling asleep that is................the only thing I really notice is that it blurs my vision. Very difficult to read the menu in the MDR at night.

yes!! the same thing happened to me! only i didnt know it was from the patch, until the last night of my cruise when i saw a sticker on the box of the patches that said "may cause blurred vision." haha. oops. i was so confused about what was happening to me!!

Archived