Boston Pre-Cruise hotel

I'm looking at a one-night hotel stay before a cruise out of Boston in July. Boston hotels are EXPENSIVE! I don't need to stay anywhere fancy... just clean and nice *enough*. Most important would be easy transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port.

I'd rather spend money on drinks and excursions... so I'd prefer to save on the hotel and take public transportation in Boston.

Anyone have any luck with a cheaper hotel close to the T line? I've looked at Priceline, but even those rates seem steep...

Thanks!

What is your exact date? What is your budget? If it's July 25, there is a 3 star Back Bay hotel on Hotwire for $134 that is likely to be the Hotel 140. Boston hotels are expensive - this is an excellent price for a weekday hotel located in a desirable tourist location. Can you manage your luggage? One way to reduce your transportation costs is to take the Silver Line to South Station ($2/pp) and a cab from there to the hotel. You pay a premium for a cab from the airport to any downtown location.

Any hotel that offers a "free" shuttle is going to be located in a fringe area. Post back and we'll take it from there.

If you can manage your luggage it would be possible to take the T all the way to the hotel for $2/pp. It's about two blocks from the Back Bay stop on the Orange line,so from South Station you would take the Red Line one stop to Downtown Crossing and then take the Orange Line three stops to Back Bay. Shouldn't be too bad with luggage. To get to the port you could do the reverse trip and take the Silver Line SL2 bus (instead oaf the SL1 airport bus) from South Station to Black Falcon Terminal.

Following the instructions I give in this post and using AA.com as your comparison site, you can get the Marriott Copley Place for around $136, or the Renaissance Waterfront for around $160. The Marriott is between 2 T stations and better for touring, but the Renaissance is closer to the port - walkable in a pinch.

As a back-up plan, I have a reservation at the Hotel 140 at about $174 after taxes. I figure I can cancel if I find a better deal elsewhere (which would be great).

The Renaissance Marriott is tempting, because of the location. But it wouldn't save any money over the Hotel 140.

You guys are fantastic for helping out. These boards never cease to amaze! I promise to pay it forward...

OK... using your fantastic "Best Rate Guarantee" approach, I'm in the process of attempting to get a darn good deal on the Westin Waterfront. Westin site has me reserving a room for $349 + tax (thank god they don't charge when you reserve!), but the AA.com site has it at $168. If they approve my price claim, I'll also get 10% off of the lower rate... which means a fantastic deal at a luxury hotel right by the port! I'll let you know how it goes...

Fingers crossed!

OK... using your fantastic "Best Rate Guarantee" approach, I'm in the process of attempting to get a darn good deal on the Westin Waterfront. Westin site has me reserving a room for $349 + tax (thank god they don't charge when you reserve!), but the AA.com site has it at $168. If they approve my price claim, I'll also get 10% off of the lower rate... which means a fantastic deal at a luxury hotel right by the port! I'll let you know how it goes...

Fingers crossed!

Kewl! I did see that fantastic rate at the Westin, but as I'm not much of a SPG gal, I'm not as familiar with their policies. Hope you get it!

As a back-up plan, I have a reservation at the Hotel 140 at about $174 after taxes. I figure I can cancel if I find a better deal elsewhere (which would be great).

The Renaissance Marriott is tempting, because of the location. But it wouldn't save any money over the Hotel 140.

You guys are fantastic for helping out. These boards never cease to amaze! I promise to pay it forward...

The Hotel 140 used to be the YWCA. It converted into a "traditional" hotel in the past few years. Don't know anyone who has stayed there. It shares a building with a really fun theater (Lyric Stage), that has great shows. I'd definitely go with the Westin Waterfront over this or many other options. That's a great rate!

Librariancruiser let me know if your best guaranteed rate approach works for the Westin Waterfront. I tried it with the Westin Copley Square and they rejected my claim (said it is only available for those in North America, so it doesn't meet their criteria?) :mad: Kind of mad about that because it works with the Marriott.

bbcruiser, Are you a US resident? I'm just wondering about their rationale. I haven't heard anything yet. The AA.com site is not too informative about cancellation policies, or else I might just snatch the rate up there. And, of course, it's pre-pay...

I am a US citizen. I couldn't find anything on the AA.com website that says it's only for residents of North America. Too bad it is pre-pay only.

Sometimes the only way to get a good deal on Boston hotels is to not be picky about the hotel and to prepay. I've stayed in 10+ downtown hotels over time - some are nicer than others but any 3*+ hotel should be more than adequate for a short stay. Twickenham has a good strategy that many folks have used - the Copley Marriott is a nice hotel in the same Copley Square location as the Copley Westin. If you can get a good deal on it, take it. Hotwire also works well for Boston. It's possible to narrow down the hotel choices so that you know which hotels you might get. Yes, you have to prepay, but you can insure your purchase just like you can insure your cruise.

Librariancruiser let me know if your best guaranteed rate approach works for the Westin Waterfront. I tried it with the Westin Copley Square and they rejected my claim (said it is only available for those in North America, so it doesn't meet their criteria?) :mad: Kind of mad about that because it works with the Marriott.

The one time I tried to get a lowest rate claim thru with Starwood, years ago, they also rejected it because of a technicality. Sometimes it's just a matter of pressing the issue - certainly in your case, their rejection was invalid, because you are in NA.

Thanks for your replies.

Starwood said their rates have to be available to all parties (assuming it means people outside of North America as well), that's why I didn't push it.

Checking out Hotwire, etc. for now. I also checked on B&B's, but the better ones seem to be in Brookline, which is further away.

138East, what are your thoughts on the Intercontinental Boston? That is another one I've been looking at.

:o

Thanks for your replies.

Starwood said their rates have to be available to all parties (assuming it means people outside of North America as well), that's why I didn't push it.

Checking out Hotwire, etc. for now. I also checked on B&B's, but the better ones seem to be in Brookline, which is further away.

138East, what are your thoughts on the Intercontinental Boston? That is another one I've been looking at.

:o

Can you confirm you are looking for 1 night for two people on 7/14? This thread has gotten a little crazy and I'm confused as to who is looking for what.

I checked hotwire and this is my best guess as to the hotels:

1) 4* Waterfront for $174 - Highly likely to be the Westin Waterfront. If, not it will be the Seaport. Both hotels are fine.

2) 3.5* Back Bay for $191 - highly likely to be the Sheraton.

3) 4.5* Quincy Market for $200 - likely to be the Intercontinental or the Langham.

I'm not a big fan of the Intercontinental or Langham locations - neither is particularly near the "T" - and they are the most expensive. #1 and #2 are on Hotwire all the time and they have always been the Westin, Seaport, or Sheraton. Last fall I think half the folks on the Jewel Repo were staying in the Sheraton for about $100/night - that was a fantastic deal, but alas - not there now.

Yes - you can take the Silver Line Bus from the lower level of your Logan Terminal - $2/pp payable to the driver (may need 2 $1 bills). You get off at the World Trade Center stop (elevators and escalators) and walk west (away from the water) 1 block to the Westin. If you're two people, you may find it easier for one person to get on the back of the bus with the luggage while the other person gets on the front and pays the driver. It's easier to walk through the bus without luggage. I was just on the Silver Line last week by myself and it was annoying to get through the bus - not everyone was willing to put their stuff on the luggage racks. It just depends on your timing.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance - look at Legal Seafood Test Kitchen, Morton Steak House, and the No Name. Also Anthony's Pier 4 or the Barking Crab. There's a 7-11 on Northern Ave in front of the World Trade Center lower level.

Yep. Staying one night, leaving the next afternoon, two people. Seaport and Westin Waterfront seem nice. Can I get to the airport easily from these hotels? Looks like the Seaport is right on the water taxi route.

bbcruiser, the LNF rates I posted upthread can be had for your date as well, if you're interested. I've gotten LNF rates at both hotels accepted before using aa.com, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Hi all,

Just wanted to report back that Starwood did decline my price guarantee. So, I cancelled my Westin reservation, and went ahead and snagged the same hotel through AA.com. Westin Waterfront at $168.

Yes, I did prepay, but the cancellation policy sounds as if I can call to cancel if I need to (up to 48 hours in advance of the reservation). Since we have flights and the cruise booked, I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking with the reservation!

FYI, when you get to the end of the AA.com hotel booking process, you see these terms and conditions:

Hotel General Terms

• The rates listed are for the occupancy entered at search unless otherwise stated. Resort fees, (where applicable) are not included in the price quoted. Prices are in U.S. dollars unless noted otherwise.

• Your credit card is charged the total cost above at time of purchase. Prices and room availability are not guaranteed until full payment is received.

• Completed AA.com hotel bookings will generate an instant confirmation number. Your credit card will be charged the full payment upon reservation.

• The reservation holder must present a valid photo ID and credit card at check-in. The credit card is required for any additional hotel specific service fees or incidental charges or fees that may be charged by the hotel customer at checkout. These charges may be mandatory (e.g. resort fees) or optional (parking, phone calls or minibar charges) and are not included in the room rate.

• AAdvantage® members are eligible to earn AAdvantage miles for each completed qualified hotel stay booked through AA.com. A qualifying stay is defined as all consecutive nights at one hotel, even if member checks out and checks back in during a stay. The AAdvantage number of the member whose name is in the reservation must be included when booking the hotel. The AAdvantage member must stay overnight. Only one member per booking will be credited with AAdvantage miles.

• AA.com Hotel bookings are not eligible for any AA.com flight or car booking bonus miles or AAVacations booking bonus miles.

• The miles earned by booking a hotel through AA.com Hotel will be posted to members accounts 8-10 weeks after completed hotel stay.

• AA.com Hotel bookings are not eligible for any program that allows for purchase using frequent traveler miles including the American Airlines AAdvantage Awards® Program.

• American Airlines gift certificates or gift card may not be used for AA.com Hotel purchases.

• Specific cancellation policies vary by hotel and are quoted on the hotel reservations page.

• AA.com Hotel bookings do not qualify for any corporate/employee program that might otherwise be offered by American Airlines.

• No travel agent or other commissions are offered on AA.com Hotel bookings. Registered seller of travel in California under its seller of travel regulations. California registration number: 2059975-40. Registration as a seller of travel in California does not constitute the state's approval. American Airlines reserves the right to change AAdvantage program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage program, visit http://www.aa.com/aadvantage.

No AA.com Change or Cancel Fee Terms

No AA.com change or cancel fees will be assessed on any hotel booked through AA.com. Change or cancel your prepaid hotel reservation by calling 800-960-7163. Customers should view the individual hotel’s property change and cancellation policy prior to making a reservation. Customers may still be subject to change and cancellation fees that the hotel imposes and requires us to pass on.

Thanks again for the help!

Following the instructions I give in this post and using AA.com as your comparison site, you can get the Marriott Copley Place for around $136, or the Renaissance Waterfront for around $160. The Marriott is between 2 T stations and better for touring, but the Renaissance is closer to the port - walkable in a pinch.

i have scored about 6 rooms at marriott branded places using AA.com...though SOME rate rules are different..a couple times the LNF peeps took so long that my great rate was gone, but they found another rate that was still lower-usually within 10 bucks of what i got....i have 2 ressies in Orlando...and i had another one there, plus 3 in beantown that i had to cancel.....

ordinarily i don't even bother, but now it's sort of like chips, cats and cookies..can't have just 1!!! (heck, i am platinum for life so i've stayed in a LOT of marriott brands..)

soooo thanks for that pointer

Thanks for the update LibrarianCruiser. I would consider the prepay idea too, but I prefer not to pay before I get to the hotel. I think I'd probably stay with the reservation too if I did book it. I just had a bad experience with a prepaid reservation at a hotel once, so I don't like to prepay for my hotel reservations.

We are still planning on the Westin Copley Place. If the aa.com deal is still available, closer to our cruise date, I might cancel my Westin reservation and book it then.

Have a good cruise LibrarianCruiser. :D

Archived