Bergen and Amsterdam..best excursions?

On RCI Jewel of the Seas British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruises this summer.

Any suggestions for interesting excursions here? I know the funicular in Bergen is quite popular, beautiful view of the city. Considering Volendam & Markham in the Netherlands.

Thank you!

Sleddogs

we were in Bergen in '03; thought we would take the funicular; however, when we arrived it was raining and we heard the top of the mtn was fogged it so we felt it wasn't worth it. we walked into town (a short walk past the Bryggen district) to the fish market area where we caught a cute little train that basically took us 1/2 way up the mtn. & around the city. We had enough time to take in the sights (fish market & Bryggen). etc. we did not book ahead in Bergen.

For Amsterdam, this was the start of our cruise to the Baltic Capitals so we arrived a day early. We walked the city, including the Red Light district & the churches. We didn't get to the Van Gogh museum or Anne Frank house. However, the cruise got cancelled (prop damage) after the 1st day so we stayed a couple days extra in Amsterdam. One day we went to the Zuiderzee and Volendam and the 2nd day we took a bus to Brussels, Belgium. Very enjoyable.

Sleddogs,

So far as Amsterdam is concerned it really depends on how long you have there. If you have a complete day I'd spend the morning walking Amsterdam, and include a canal cruise. If you have time for lunch I'd search out a Rijsttafel ("Ricetable) in an indonesian restaurant which I sometimes go to Amsterdam for the day when I yearn for one - once having to take the whole extended family and boyfriends.

(Typical pictures to give you an idea)

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ricetable%20amsterdam&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

In the afternoon a tour that takes in both Vollendam and Markham is possible - you don't need much time at either. If you had to choose I'd stay in Amserdam but in a day all is possible as Holland is very small.

Vollendam is quite scenic:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&q=vollendam&btnG=Search

In my view you could almost give Marken a miss (the one in the US has an "h") - as it's very small and not much to occupy you other than perhaps two photographs or so!

http://www.danen.org/photos3p/eur/neth/p/dot_netherlands_vi_marken_02.jpg

This is quite a good starting point to decide what you're going to do:

http://www.holland.com/us/index.html

Jeff

Thank you both for the information. Loved the pictures of Vollendam. I love the wooden shoes! I'll be perusing that Holland link for more details.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!

Sleddogs

There are regular boattrips from Volendam to Marken, so easy to combine.

It is a nice short sailingtrip over IJsselmeer (former Zuiderzee) and nice to do.

Also interesting is Zaanse Schans, easy to reach by train (abt. 15 minutes and 5 minutes walk) from Amsterdam.

Of course there is a lot to see and to do in Amsterdam.

Enjoy

There are regular boattrips from Volendam to Marken, so easy to combine.

It is a nice short sailingtrip over IJsselmeer (former Zuiderzee) and nice to do.

Also interesting is Zaanse Schans, easy to reach by train (abt. 15 minutes and 5 minutes walk) from Amsterdam.

Of course there is a lot to see and to do in Amsterdam.

Enjoy

Ine,

Thank you for replying. We have decided to go to Volendam & Marken and hopefully have at least a bit of time in Amsterdam. We are so anxious to visit your beautiful country.

Thank you again!

Sleddogs "Denise"

Since the cruise terminal in Amsterdam is not far away from city centre, you hardly can miss it.

If you still have tim,e I recommend a canalcruise (abt. 1hr), great way to see the ciry.

There is a round Bergen bus tour which include a cable car trip - it's called "the Bergen in a Nutshell Tour" and is well worth it and picks up from nearby where the ships dock. You can do your tour and then get dropped off in the town near the Market and have a slow amble back to the ship which isn't far at all. It's very easy and enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in rotterdam from 8am to 6pm according to Princess. We want to do the "amsterdam on your own" tour. We are being dropped off near the Museum Square area.

Will we require a taxi to get around to see what we would like to see?

1. Van Gogh museum (I'm assuming this one is right by where we are being dropped off)

2. Red light district (for my perverted elderly(heehee 41) spouse)

3. Anne Frank House. (I've heard this can have quite long lines...so if we can't go in, is it possible to walk/drive by and take photos?)

How far apart are these locations? And most importantly, is there enough time to do these and still make it back to the ship on time...

I'm told the ship boards at 5:30...and it takes 1 hour? to get from Amsterdam to Rotterdam on the ship's excursion bus....is this correct...?

So we have, give or take, about 5-6 hours to see what we want?

Am I crazy or can this be done?

Thanks for answering a loon!

June

We will be in rotterdam from 8am to 6pm according to Princess. We want to do the "amsterdam on your own" tour. We are being dropped off near the Museum Square area.

Will we require a taxi to get around to see what we would like to see?

1. Van Gogh museum (I'm assuming this one is right by where we are being dropped off)

3. Anne Frank House. (I've heard this can have quite long lines...so if we can't go in, is it possible to walk/drive by and take photos?)

How far apart are these locations? And most importantly, is there enough time to do these and still make it back to the ship on time...

I'm told the ship boards at 5:30...and it takes 1 hour? to get from Amsterdam to Rotterdam on the ship's excursion bus....is this correct...?

So we have, give or take, about 5-6 hours to see what we want?

Am I crazy or can this be done?

Thanks for answering a loon!

June

If you do a search on the canal bus in Amsterdam you can actually see on the map where all of these locations are. Frommers also has a map on their site which will show you the location of everything.

June Bug,

Indeed lines can be long at Ann Franks house, so go there as early as possible and make you guess whether you are lucky or not.

From Museumplein you can take a cab or a tram to ge there.

Red Light District from there is abt. 10/15 min walk, go to Royal Palace on Damsquare and just a little more east.

Van Goghmuseum is on Museumplein as is also Rijksmuseum (Rembrandts Nightwatch).

Check with your cruiseline, as many offer transportation to and from Amsterdam. Otherwise go by train as taxi is very expensive.

Cruiseline transportation would be best as the ship will wait if bus is delayed.

On your own, train last abt. 1 hour, but count on at least 1 1/2 hr to be more safe.

PS You can see photos of Star Princess on Rotterdam abt. 2 weeks ago on:http://community.webshots.com/user/inevdam

June Bug,

Indeed lines can be long at Ann Franks house, so go there as early as possible and make you guess whether you are lucky or not.

From Museumplein you can take a cab or a tram to ge there.

Red Light District from there is abt. 10/15 min walk, go to Royal Palace on Damsquare and just a little more east.

Van Goghmuseum is on Museumplein as is also Rijksmuseum (Rembrandts Nightwatch).

Check with your cruiseline, as many offer transportation to and from Amsterdam. Otherwise go by train as taxi is very expensive.

Cruiseline transportation would be best as the ship will wait if bus is delayed.

On your own, train last abt. 1 hour, but count on at least 1 1/2 hr to be more safe.

Do you think we'll be safe to see Anne Franke's house if we're there by 9 am when it opens? We're doing the Amsterdam on your own tour from Princess and should be in town around 8:30 or so. I was hoping to do the Anne Franke house and a short canal ride prior to leaving Amsterdam as we're only there for a short time but will settle for AF's house as that's what my kids really want.

If you have to drop one of these, I'd recommend skipping the red light district. Not because there's nothing to see or because you shouldn't be seeing it (:D), but because there's really not much to see during the day. The area really only comes alive at night - at least insofar as it is a tourist attraction.

Yeah, the red light dist. was pretty low on my list...I really want to see the Anne Frank house and Van Gogh museum! Thanks for the information from all of you! How would we all plan our vacations without you all?

June

I think if you can be at the house around 9, there will be no line or a small one yet. I advise you to go there first and see what it looks like.

I only wonder if you can be in Amsterdam that early.

The bustour from Rotterdam to Amsterdam will probably last abt. 90 minutes, after which you have to go from Museumplein to Prinsengracht.

Any deatils on Ann Franks houe can be found on this link:

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=2

As is says on the website the tour will take abt. 1 hour. Almost near the house is Westerkerk, a nice old church. (the churchbell Ann heard in her room) . Sometimes there is a possibility to climb the tower, which give of course a great view of the city.

I also advise you to make a canalboatride, always my favourite. Boats leave ao from opposite Central station.

I think if you can be at the house around 9, there will be no line or a small one yet. I advise you to go there first and see what it looks like.

I only wonder if you can be in Amsterdam that early.

The bustour from Rotterdam to Amsterdam will probably last abt. 90 minutes, after which you have to go from Museumplein to Prinsengracht.

Any deatils on Ann Franks houe can be found on this link:

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=2

As is says on the website the tour will take abt. 1 hour. Almost near the house is Westerkerk, a nice old church. (the churchbell Ann heard in her room) . Sometimes there is a possibility to climb the tower, which give of course a great view of the city.

I also advise you to make a canalboatride, always my favourite. Boats leave ao from opposite Central station.

Thank you for the information. Princess claims that the drive from Rotterdam to Amsterdam takes approximately one hour so that is what I was basing my arrival on and we leave at 7:30. I will take a taxi from theh museum area to get to the Anne Franke house. Thank you for the tip about the church, I didn't know about that.

I will try and take the canal boat ride if their is time. The company sent me the summer schedule and route information so I really hope we can fit it in.

We didn't go on formal ship's shore excursions in these two ports and found them very easy to do on our own. We thoroughly enjoyed both of these ports.

In Amsterdam, our ship docked about a 20-minute walk from the edge of the red light district. We went to the Anne Frank house, which was awesome; very scenic canal boat ride; the Frommers walking tour, which included a lot historical squares and the red light district; and the Van Gogh museum all in about 7 hours without rushing but maybe could have used an extra 1/2 hour at the Van Gogh museum. We used the public transportation trams to go from site to site.

In Bergen, our ship docked about a 10-minute walk from Bryggen. The scenery is spectacular. We walked to the funicular, and I hope you'll spread the word on your ship to avoid the ship's shore excursion because it was sold as a $30 "hike", which was a rip-off because they all walked from the ship to the funicular just like we did but we paid $8 to ride the funicular and then were able to walk the same trails that the shore ex passengers walked. And if it's an overcast day, I would not recommend the funicular. After that, we walked around the Bryggen area, which is very scenic and just takes you back in time. We then went on the Frommers walking tour and went to the Hanseatic Museum, which is really two buildings that are located a few blocks apart. Most of the sites are really close together in Bergen, and we saw St. Mary's church, the fish market, etc. The aquarium is about a 15-minute walk from there. We also walked around the very scenic streets near the fish market.

Hope you have a great time,

Donna

Due to morningrush hour the trip Rotterdam-Amsterdam will likely last abt. 90 minutes, but even then you will have enough time.

Opposite Central Station in Amsterdam there are a few businesses that offer canalboattours, which in general last abt. 1 hour.

Due to morningrush hour the trip Rotterdam-Amsterdam will likely last abt. 90 minutes, but even then you will have enough time.

Opposite Central Station in Amsterdam there are a few businesses that offer canalboattours, which in general last abt. 1 hour.

Thank you so much for your help. I'll make sure and grab a taxi as soon as we get to Amsterdam so we can get to Anne Franke's as soon as possible. This is going to be one of the higlights for my son so if I can't do too much else that will be okay. We have to be back at Museum Square early as the bus there leaves around 13:30 already.

Archived