Singpaore/Austraila Air Questions

jbuch02

I'm planning a B2B cruise on Celebrity Solstice originating out of Singapore on November 24th doing the North end of Australia, docking in Sydney on December 9th and departing for New Zealand on December 10th RTN to Sydney on December 23rd.

I've looked at airline tickets and have a pretty good idea of what I need but because of the potential for screwing up time zones I want to make sure I'm doing this right and seek insight from those that might have done this before.

I realize I could board on Saturday the 24th (leave the US later) but prefer to have the extra day in Singapore and board on Friday the 23rd. In order to do that, I have to leave the US on Wednesday the 21st. On the return trip in order to make connections in a near 24 hour period (avoid an overnight stay). It looks like have to leave on Monday AM, the 24th. Do I have this right. (Update ... I did find a Delta Flight leaving on 12/23 that works).

In searching the connections, there are two airlines that seem to have the combination of the best fares and the best times for me. Korean Air and Delta. I get Skymiles with Delta (Virgin Australia Inter-agency) as I use them frequently so there's some preference there but I have read good things about Korean Air for this route in particular. I've also searched the Singapore Airlines web site and found decent fares and routing. Any thoughts here?

I know that seating comfort varies greatly depending on how the aircraft is configured, how old or new it is, and so forth. I'm also an Economy guy. While it would be nice to fly First Class in Air Emirates in a suite, that's not in my budget. Any help on selecting an airline from those that have traveled this kind of route would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I do for this situation. I print out one page (one month) calendars for the time I'll be traveling. I work from these.

Arriving a couple days ahead in Singapore is a really good idea as it is a great city to visit. Fantastic food and shopping. Incredible hotels.

If your flight to Singapore arrives after midnight, book your hotel room for the day before and guarantee arrival or you won't have anywhere to sleep.

There are iPhone apps and internet WEB sites that can help you work out the correct day to depart and when you will arrive in Singapore. I on't trust my thinking on this enough to verify what you have posted.

Singapore is one of the cleanest, safest and most tourist friendly cities in the world. It is nearly always 85 degrees with high humidity. English is widely spoken (British variety) and the welcome mat is always out.

Have a ball!

Thanks, Penny ...... I'm glad I'm not alone in the time zone confusion. Great to hear about Singapore. Yes, we will be arriving after mid-night and did have some safety concerns about that having never been to that city b4.

Hotel recommendations? Have you boarded a cruise ship out of Singapore in the past? Amy thoughts or recommendations there?

Comments on DL: If on DL metal into SIN, you will arrive Tokyo in the usual DL "bank" of arrivals and leave in the departure bank, both in the late afternoon. You will arrive in SIN shortly after midnight, so it is actually TWO calendar dates later on arrival. The airport will be quite deserted at that hour, as I believe it's the last arrival of the night (or close to it).

Comments of KE: You will, in general, receive DL SkyMiles on KE flights as both are in SkyTeam. However, check the info on the DL webpage as there are fare classes on KE that earn NO miles.

Good heads up on KE, Talker.

Pretty sure I'm going to stick with Delta and that routing (via NRT inbound to SIN and via LAX back to ATL) ...... least travel time both ways compared to everyone else except KE, competitive fare.

I was surprised to see many neg. comments about Singapore Airlines Economy cabin at SkyTrax. Business cabin gets great ratings but not economy. Noted that Virgin Australia gets very high marks on long haul, economy and I'm eyeballing that ticket with Delta because of the code share.

Thanks, Penny ...... I'm glad I'm not alone in the time zone confusion. Great to hear about Singapore. Yes, we will be arriving after mid-night and did have some safety concerns about that having never been to that city b4.

Hotel recommendations? Have you boarded a cruise ship out of Singapore in the past? Amy thoughts or recommendations there?

There are some 20 flights arrival between 00:30 - 01:30 AM in Singapore, there will be plenty of taxi available. however, there is a 50% meter surcharge from midnight to 6:00 am plus one off airport surcharge of S$5.00 per trip from airport. taxi fare is in Singapore dollar and always paid by the meter. The taxi in Singapore is safe at any hour.

For accomodation. The Stanford at Raffles City or The Merchant Court at Clarke Quay, both managed by swissotel, should be a good choice. You can go to their webpage for details.

The new Singapore International Cruise Terminal will be operational by 2nd Quarter this year to accomodate cruise ships as big as Oasis of the Seas . Currently, all cruise ships bigger than 65,000 ton have to wharfed at containers port.

I am from Singapore, will be on the same cruise as you to Sydney.

TK

You can book a Transit hotel at Changi International Airport, in 6 hour blocks, or the attached Crowne Plaza Hotel.

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/transit-hotel

We have stayed in one of the Transit Hotels, which met our needs of a shower and a bed perfectly after a long haul flight.

Thanks for the tips, Slogam & MM.

Question for you Slogam ..... what are the hours of the Cruise terminal? I expect I will have to clear customs and immigration before boarding Solstice. I'm also thinking these organizations work normal working hours or 0900 - 1700. The ship can be boarded on Friday the 23rd and it does not depart for Sydney until Saturday the 24th. My arrival time will probably be either 0105 or 0325 Friday morning. Obviously, if the terminal is open 24h, I could board early Friday morning after arrival in SIN w/o a hotel room .... but I doubt I can do that. I like MM's suggestion for using the hourly hotel accommodations, get a shower, a nap and then head to check in. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the tips, Slogam & MM.

Question for you Slogam ..... what are the hours of the Cruise terminal? I expect I will have to clear customs and immigration before boarding Solstice. I'm also thinking these organizations work normal working hours or 0900 - 1700. The ship can be boarded on Friday the 23rd and it does not depart for Sydney until Saturday the 24th. My arrival time will probably be either 0105 or 0325 Friday morning. Obviously, if the terminal is open 24h, I could board early Friday morning after arrival in SIN w/o a hotel room .... but I doubt I can do that. I like MM's suggestion for using the hourly hotel accommodations, get a shower, a nap and then head to check in. Your thoughts?

1) The Cruise terminal's immigration and customs will be manned when the ship is in port, 24 hours when Solstice is overnight here. However, Check-in process and handling of you luggage is managed by Celebrity's agent. which may work normal working hours with some overtime. you need to check with Celebrity on this.

2) Airport Transit hotel is in the restricted zone before immigration and customs. This hotel is very popular with passengers transiting through Singapore. You have to book early to secure the room for the time you want. Also bear in mind that if you stay at the transit hotel, you will not be clearing your luggage until after you stay. your luggage MAY BE moved from the belt area to lost and found.

The Crowne Plaza at Changi is a fantastic hotel. In addition, you can go down to the sub-basement in the terminal where there's a hawker-style food court open real late, in case you need a chicken rice fix on arrival. Maybe not the quality of some of the hawker food centers in town, but very convenient (and air conditioned :). )

Please plan to arrive ahead to Singpore and not just at the last minute for your cruise departure. It is an incredibly wonderful place to visit (and shop!!!!)

In addition to being one of the safest and cleanest cities on earth the hospitality is wonderful.

The taxi drivers are very honest.

I like to stay by the Raffles shopping center. Fine hotels either near or actually connected to it. Eating in the hawker food places is great fun. Yes to the chicken rice!

I shop so much in Singapore that I've had to buy more luggage!

If you have a couple days to shake off jet lag, you will get more value out of your cruise!

Archived