Interior room--What areas are not accessible to those in cheaper rooms?

AMAC86

My first thread, please be gentle!

I booked a sailing aboard the Celebrity Summit. We have reserved an interior cabin (got a great deal at $479 for the April 14 7-night Southern Caribbean sailing). Very excited, but I am concerned that many parts of the ship will be off limits to those who are not in the Aqua-Class cabins.

I am not very knowledgeable about the ship (or any ship for that matter). Could anyone give me a rundown of the parts of the ship that I won't be able to access and/or I will have to pay for? I know I can't eat at Blu (bummer).

I guess I'm most concerned about:

1. Which restaurants/cafes cost money, and which can I not access at all?

2. Which pools can I access for free, and which cost a fee? (Also, which are not accessible to interior room guests?)

3. Any other parts of the ship that cost extra money just to lounge around in (obviously if I don't buy a drink package, I can expect to pay for beverages just about everywhere on the ship)?

Thanks for your help!

My first thread, please be gentle!

I booked a sailing aboard the Celebrity Summit. We have reserved an interior cabin (got a great deal at $479 for the April 14 7-night Southern Caribbean sailing). Very excited, but I am concerned that many parts of the ship will be off limits to those who are not in the Aqua-Class cabins.

I am not very knowledgeable about the ship (or any ship for that matter). Could anyone give me a rundown of the parts of the ship that I won't be able to access and/or I will have to pay for? I know I can't eat at Blu (bummer).

I guess I'm most concerned about:

1. Which restaurants/cafes cost money, and which can I not access at all?

2. Which pools can I access for free, and which cost a fee? (Also, which are not accessible to interior room guests?)

3. Any other parts of the ship that cost extra money just to lounge around in (obviously if I don't buy a drink package, I can expect to pay for beverages just about everywhere on the ship)?

Thanks for your help!

I have sailed the Summit and her sister ship the Infinity at least four times in an interior cabin. The Summit did not even have the aqua class cabins until January and there was no Blu (the restaurant that is only for aqua class)

Since the Solsticization (basically an extensive refurbishment) there are a couple new dinning venues....

Blu (agaua class only)

Bistro on Five (open to anyone for $5.00 pp)

Qsine (open to anyone for $40.00 pp)

And the ship always had:

Aqua Spa Cafe (open to anyone no fee for limited for healthier breakfast and lunch options)

Buffet (open to anyone no fee)

Room service (open to anyone no fee)

Main Dinning Room (open to anyone no fee)

Normandie (open to anyone for $40.00 pp)

As for pools: all pools, entertainment venues, shows, are open to all passengers)

There is one relaxation area called Persian Gardens that is free for Aqua Class, but you can buy a day pass or a week pass if you really want to go there)

The Thalassotherapy Pool (basically an indoor giant hot tub with jets and giant faucets) is open to anyone.

Aqua Class is nice I am sure....but you will not be missing much. There are many people on these boards who are extremely loyal to the restaurant Blu and I am sure it is wonderful....but that is basically all I can think of that you will be missing.....

It is not like the Titanic movie where the people in steerage danced and drank whiskey from flasks in the belly of the ship....... You are free to go basically anywhere except Blu.........

You will have a great time.....I actually love the interior cabins on that ship.........so peacefull.

Thanks so much for your reply--very helpful information.

I was having EXACTLY that idea in my mind (the Titanic reference). I actually felt sorta like that when we were on the Carnival Dream on the bottom deck all the way aft, in "steerage". But strangely, on this ship the interior cabins are not all the way at the bottom!

Do you have any idea where I can find out how much a day pass or week pass for the Persian Gardens costs? I heard you can get a free tour on the embarkation day to decide if it's something you want, or not.

I purchased a massage that included the same day use of Persian Gardens.

There was also a steam room off the women's restroom in the T-pool area that is free to use, unless it has been removed.

You will receive great service no matter where your cabin is on Celebrity.

Thanks so much for your reply--very helpful information.

I was having EXACTLY that idea in my mind (the Titanic reference). I actually felt sorta like that when we were on the Carnival Dream on the bottom deck all the way aft, in "steerage". But strangely, on this ship the interior cabins are not all the way at the bottom!

Do you have any idea where I can find out how much a day pass or week pass for the Persian Gardens costs? I heard you can get a free tour on the embarkation day to decide if it's something you want, or not.

I hope they renovated Persian Gardens because I found it to be very dark on the Summit and it was creepy...... They have nice heated tile loungers but because it was so dark I didn't like it in there.....

Runnerandme is correct that there is a beautiful oceanview sauna in the ladies locker room located adjacent to the Thalassotherapy pool and next to the gym...... To me between the Thalassotherapy pool and the sauna in the locker room I didn't feel Persian Gardens was necesary........ I think it is in the neighborhood of 25 or 30 for the day and about 100 for the week...........those are only estimates based on my foggy memmory.

If you book an interior cabin, you will have to suffer with exactly the same shipboard options as those who book the royal suite....although, sadly, you will not have a butler and some of the in-cabin perks they will get since they are paying about 20x more than you. You will have to eat in the same dining room, you will have to swim in the same pool and you will have to drink at the same bars.

Many who cruise often always book the least expensive cabin. The folks in the next cabin to yours might have 50 cruises with Celebrity.

I hope they renovated Persian Gardens because I found it to be very dark on the Summit and it was creepy...... They have nice heated tile loungers but because it was so dark I didn't like it in there.....

Runnerandme is correct that there is a beautiful oceanview sauna in the ladies locker room located adjacent to the Thalassotherapy pool and next to the gym...... To me between the Thalassotherapy pool and the sauna in the locker room I didn't feel Persian Gardens was necesary........ I think it is in the neighborhood of 25 or 30 for the day and about 100 for the week...........those are only estimates based on my foggy memmory.

The persian gardens couches on the Solstice are made of hard tiles, they look nice but they sure are uncomfortable, no cushion at all.:eek:

Hi AMAC86,

Persian Garden Photos...

http://www.za.cruise.co/images/cruise/cruise_ships/0003SOLSTICE-Persian-Gardens-3.jpg.jpg

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/images/cel_onboard/onboard_spa_fitness/features_quiet_peaceful_corner_950x345.jpg

The difference "in look" is dependent upon the Class of Ship (Solstice Class Ships vs Millenium Class Ships)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Heck, on the Summit, your interior SR is the same size (in almost cases) to the other standard Outside/balcony SR's except for the Suites - you just don't have the balcony/window. There is no markings on your cruise card that indicates what class SR you are in, except for Aqua Class (not sure about Suites?), which gives them access to BLU and free access to the Persan thingee.

And yup, although we are Elite and get some goodies for cruising with Celebirty more, many of the Elites are 'interior dwellers' and love it. Elites have a few more activities and freebee's, but that is based on being loyal customers, not what SR we got (and yes, sometimes the Suites get access to some of the Elite activities). But that's about it on differences.

enjoy your cruise. And join the Celebirty Connections and meet up with others on your cruise. Sometimes they have Cabin Crawls and you see other SRs. It was funny how many people who'd never stayed in an interior were impressed with them....same cabin as their's, lots cheaper!

Den

One of the things that impressed us on our first cruise, was the classless nature of the cruise. It doesn't really matter whether you're in the Royal Suite or and inside cabin, you get treated the same.

Unfortunately, in my opinion at least, this is becoming less and less true on some lines (fortunately not RCI or, for the most part, Celebrity). NCL, for instance, has whole whole areas of suites with their own courtyards and pools, that are off limits to anyone who hasn't booked a Courtyard Villa and other lines seem to revel in the idea that it is possible for certain guests to spend their entire cruise with only minimal interaction with the "hoi polloi". Cunard's ships have certain areas including dining rooms that are accessible only to guests in certain room categories. Even RCI sets aside certain areas in the theater and by the pool for higher tiered Crown and Anchor members and guests who have booked suites. They refer to this practice as "exclusivity" which appears to be the newly popular trend among some cruisers.

When we first began cruising I was struck by the fact that once you were outside of your stateroom, you were treated as the equal of every other passenger. Now, even your sea pass card is designed to indicate your loyalty status and your stateroom class.

Heck, on the Summit, your interior SR is the same size (in almost cases) to the other standard Outside/balcony SR's except for the Suites - you just don't have the balcony/window. There is no markings on your cruise card that indicates what class SR you are in, except for Aqua Class (not sure about Suites?), which gives them access to BLU and free access to the Persan thingee.

And yup, although we are Elite and get some goodies for cruising with Celebirty more, many of the Elites are 'interior dwellers' and love it. Elites have a few more activities and freebee's, but that is based on being loyal customers, not what SR we got (and yes, sometimes the Suites get access to some of the Elite activities). But that's about it on differences.

enjoy your cruise. And join the Celebirty Connections and meet up with others on your cruise. Sometimes they have Cabin Crawls and you see other SRs. It was funny how many people who'd never stayed in an interior were impressed with them....same cabin as their's, lots cheaper!

Den

TO DENNY01,

Actually, I believe that there are 4 colours to Sea Pass Cards on Celebrity... Gold for Concierge Class, Aquamarine for Aqua Class, and think it is "Platinum" for Suite Guests (not 100% sure, as I've never seen one).

--- --- ---

TO AMAC86,

Good rececommendation by DENNY01 on joining the ROLL CALL for your Ship and the Celebrity's Connections Party... you can find info on that by looking for the 3rd box from the top of this page, entitled *Celebrity Cruises*...

As to becoming Elite in Celebrity's Captain Club ... you need 10 Tier Points.

You earn 1 Tier Point for every cruise you take with Celebrity.

1 Point for every cruise of 12 Nights or more

1 Point for staying in Concierge or Aqua Class, or a Suite

After your first cruise you are considered a Classic Member, after 5 Points a Select Member, and after 10 Points Elite.

You have to REGISTER for the Captain's Club after your first Celebrity Cruise online... enrollment is automatic.

There are more "perks" in the Captain's Club as you achieve each level.

For more info, check out this recent topic = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593630

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Unfortunately, in my opinion at least, this is becoming less and less true on some lines (fortunately not RCI or, for the most part, Celebrity). NCL, for instance, has whole whole areas of suites with their own courtyards and pools, that are off limits to anyone who hasn't booked a Courtyard Villa and other lines seem to revel in the idea that it is possible for certain guests to spend their entire cruise with only minimal interaction with the "hoi polloi". Cunard's ships have certain areas including dining rooms that are accessible only to guests in certain room categories. Even RCI sets aside certain areas in the theater and by the pool for higher tiered Crown and Anchor members and guests who have booked suites. They refer to this practice as "exclusivity" which appears to be the newly popular trend among some cruisers.

When we first began cruising I was struck by the fact that once you were outside of your stateroom, you were treated as the equal of every other passenger. Now, even your sea pass card is designed to indicate your loyalty status and your stateroom class.

Sadly, I have to agree with this post. While I haven't set foot on a ship in four years, this attitude of both the cruiselines and its upper crust passengers comes through loud and clear in these forum boards. I suspect my thoughts on this will be proven to be true on my upcoming sailing. It's all about upper crust status when it comes to some passengers and their cushy treatment by the cruiselines.

Me? Well, I'm just a nobody who sails in the steerage category so my expectations are pretty much non-existence of being fawned over by the cruiseline or befriended by the upper crust. C'est la vie! :D

....Me? Well, I'm just a nobody who sails in the steerage category so my expectations are pretty much non-existence of being fawned over by the cruiseline or befriended by the upper crust. C'est la vie! :D

Firstly, there is no 'steerage' except in someone's mind. All passengers are treated the same, with courtesy and excellent service no matter what SR they have or how many cruises they have gone on - except for someone's attitude and treatment of the staff that may end up being reflected back to them.

As to the 'upper crust' passengers....never met any, and maybe that is because I wasn't looking for them and therefore didn't experience it. We have enjoyed our new cruise friends who saved for years to do that one cruise, and have enjoyed being asked up to a couple's Suite...they were a lawyer and restauranteer, and both men were as fun and as interesting as the working-stiff couple, who by the way were invited with us to the Suite.

I'm afraid your comment about 'I'm just a nobody' maybe selfulfilling. If you think that any percieved slight (a waiter taking someone elses order before you) is because of your apparent lack of 'status', then that is what you will experience. If someone doesn't interact with you, you'll assume it is because they are ignoring you because your are a 'nobody', when it could well be me, not ignoring you, but I can't hear out of one ear and my wife has to let me know someone is speaking to me on that side.

Enjoy your cruise....if you actually want to.

Den

Don't let others upset you. I have friends who will cruise only with a balcony and others who always take an inside. Socially, they are from the same milieu. It's just a preference.

We are elite and we choose insides. Once, I offered to show our cabin to a table companion who was in a balcony cabin. She was surprised that the inside was so nice!

As for the "exclusive" venues such as Blu on Celebrity, I can't say for sure because we haven't sailed on the Solstice class yet. But I have a feeling that I won't even know it is there!

Just enjoy your vacation!

We book CC, balcony, oceanview and inside cabins. It depends on the itinerary plus price and whim at the time of booking. We have not noticed any difference in the way we are treated aboard ship due to the cabin location.

However, there is a difference in whether you will be invited to various functions: Elite Cocktail Parties, Select Cocktail Parties, and Back to Back Cocktail Parties. For these you need an invitation or a card and you must qualify to be admitted. The lack of an invitation or a card may cause you to be barred from the "party" but it has nothing to do with your cabin.

IMHO, some of the posts on this board make me wonder if some of the time spent on special tours aboard ship and seating at tables in the MDR where you visit with the Captain, Officers, or Cruise Director may have to do with how many cruises you've taken or where you sleep on the ship. That's just my opinion.

If you wish to visit the Sky Lounge in the timeframe of the Elite Party you will be barred from the door if you aren't Elite. No problem, just ask to sit in the section saved for the "Other Paying Passengers".

I always visit the Persian Garden on the first afternoon to buy a pass for the duration of the cruise.

Unfortunately, a number of the spaces formerly used for the relaxation of all guest aboard have been converted to profit making space such as the lounge areas now converted and the beautiful flower shop now converted to a Specialty Restaurant.

You'll have a wonderful cruise but plan to spend for extras and give tips to get the best drink service.

Maris

Thanks for all the input, everybody. If I do get treated differently, I'll just chalk it up to the fact that I'm probably 30 years younger than the average passenger on that ship! :D

Sadly, I have to agree with this post. While I haven't set foot on a ship in four years, this attitude of both the cruiselines and its upper crust passengers comes through loud and clear in these forum boards. I suspect my thoughts on this will be proven to be true on my upcoming sailing. It's all about upper crust status when it comes to some passengers and their cushy treatment by the cruiselines.

Me? Well, I'm just a nobody who sails in the steerage category so my expectations are pretty much non-existence of being fawned over by the cruiseline or befriended by the upper crust. C'est la vie! :D

I think Denny covered most of the points that I would have been tempted to make.

I don't think you can be talking about the Celebrity boards either, since, with very few exceptions, no one on this forum advocates, or even speaks to, class divisions on Celebrity ships. Aquaclass is simply a cabin category where you purchase certain amenities, as in other cabin categories where you pay a premium, i.e. the suites, where you purchase the services of a butler and some extra real estate. In Aquaclass you get access to a smaller dining room with somewhat "lighter" cuisine, and some limited access to "spa-like" amenities.

How you are treated around the ship, as a whole, has nothing to do with what type of stateroom you are in. The quality of service is the same for everyone....it is great and gracious service everywhere!

The one thing that does make a bit of a difference is how many nights you have sailed with Celebrity, and you could have done every one of them in an inside cabin and never spent an additional dollar on board, and you would still be treated like a VIP if you have sailed often enough. "Upper crust" doesn't even enter the equation.

The idea of "you pay more, you get more" in terms of amenities reflects the essential culture of North America. Life on board a Celebrity ship doesn't even reflect how much money you have. It does reflect, however, how you choose to spend what money you have. It certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with class division, although there are one or two people who post on this board (and others) that, perhaps, don't understand the difference.

Firstly, there is no 'steerage' except in someone's mind. All passengers are treated the same, with courtesy and excellent service no matter what SR they have or how many cruises they have gone on - except for someone's attitude and treatment of the staff that may end up being reflected back to them.

As to the 'upper crust' passengers....never met any, and maybe that is because I wasn't looking for them and therefore didn't experience it. We have enjoyed our new cruise friends who saved for years to do that one cruise, and have enjoyed being asked up to a couple's Suite...they were a lawyer and restauranteer, and both men were as fun and as interesting as the working-stiff couple, who by the way were invited with us to the Suite.

I'm afraid your comment about 'I'm just a nobody' maybe selfulfilling. If you think that any percieved slight (a waiter taking someone elses order before you) is because of your apparent lack of 'status', then that is what you will experience. If someone doesn't interact with you, you'll assume it is because they are ignoring you because your are a 'nobody', when it could well be me, not ignoring you, but I can't hear out of one ear and my wife has to let me know someone is speaking to me on that side.

Enjoy your cruise....if you actually want to.

Den

Hmmmm, I must have touched a nerve or the ensuing lecture would not have happened. Thanks for the chuckle. :D

BTW, if you are all ga-ga over lawyers, after working with them for over 28 years, it's not something I would get all ga-ga over but to each their own.

I think Denny covered most of the points that I would have been tempted to make.

I don't think you can be talking about the Celebrity boards either, since, with very few exceptions, no one on this forum advocates, or even speaks to, class divisions on Celebrity ships. Aquaclass is simply a cabin category where you purchase certain amenities, as in other cabin categories where you pay a premium, i.e. the suites, where you purchase the services of a butler and some extra real estate. In Aquaclass you get access to a smaller dining room with somewhat "lighter" cuisine, and some limited access to "spa-like" amenities.

How you are treated around the ship, as a whole, has nothing to do with what type of stateroom you are in. The quality of service is the same for everyone....it is great and gracious service everywhere!

The one thing that does make a bit of a difference is how many nights you have sailed with Celebrity, and you could have done every one of them in an inside cabin and never spent an additional dollar on board, and you would still be treated like a VIP if you have sailed often enough. "Upper crust" doesn't even enter the equation.

The idea of "you pay more, you get more" in terms of amenities reflects the essential culture of North America. Life on board a Celebrity ship doesn't even reflect how much money you have. It does reflect, however, how you choose to spend what money you have. It certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with class division, although there are one or two people who post on this board (and others) that, perhaps, don't understand the difference.

Yup, it's the Celebrity boards I am talking about. I guess the "selective eyesight" condition is alive and well in these fora. :D A very common phrase comes to mind "can't see the forest for the trees" if the "class division" is not clearly evident to those of who are are so quick to stomp down the mere mention of it happening on these boards.

Hmmmm, I must have touched a nerve or the ensuing lecture would not have happened. Thanks for the chuckle. :D

BTW, if you are all ga-ga over lawyers, after working with them for over 28 years, it's not something I would get all ga-ga over but to each their own.

Yes, Tink, you touched a nerve which was the point of your post. Your posts are very enlighening in your broadbrush putdowns, including this lawyer comment. Almost as silly as the 'upper crust' putdowns.

I hate to break this to you, but yes, there are well-off people cruising on Celebrity. They may be staying in expensive Suites, and maybe in interior SRs. But considering Celebrity is a mainline Cruise Line that is quite competitive price-wise which attracks many, many middle-income people, any 'Upper Crust' that doesn't want to rub elbows with average joes and joanns, this would not be the Line to pick. Your numerous posts about how terrible it is that Celebrity (and every other Cruise Line, and every other business) has benefits for repeat/loyal customers is very strange, and just argumentative.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise, but may I make a suggestion....drop the 'poor me' and just treat others, even (perish the thought) lawyers, like people instead of putting them in categories you then belittle.

Den

Hi All,

Must say that the current discussion is a bit "wierd".

I've met all kinds of people in my lifetime (lol even been a bunch of them myself) ... Homeless People, Working Poor, Middle Class, Rich, Mega Rich and even Famous People (by their choosing, or by others)

The one thing I've discovered is it NEVER is about money.

It is all about the person... you can be a "I don't have 2 cents to rub together" PRUNE or a Billionaire PRUNE...

It doesn't matter.

It is all about one's attitude towards life and others that counts... not how much money you have in the bank !!

Don't like someone... move on.

Do like someone then let them know... and perhaps linger a little longer.

All in all, life is too short.

Cheers!

PS... Prune was the nicest word I could think of ... that wouldn't have my post marked as INAPPROPRIATE here on CC ... trust me, in my lifetime I've used much worst terminology !!

Yes, Tink, you touched a nerve which was the point of your post. Your posts are very enlighening in your broadbrush putdowns, including this lawyer comment. Almost as silly as the 'upper crust' putdowns.

I hate to break this to you, but yes, there are well-off people cruising on Celebrity. They may be staying in expensive Suites, and maybe in interior SRs. But considering Celebrity is a mainline Cruise Line that is quite competitive price-wise which attracks many, many middle-income people, any 'Upper Crust' that doesn't want to rub elbows with average joes and joanns, this would not be the Line to pick. Your numerous posts about how terrible it is that Celebrity (and every other Cruise Line, and every other business) has benefits for repeat/loyal customers is very strange, and just argumentative.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise, but may I make a suggestion....drop the 'poor me' and just treat others, even (perish the thought) lawyers, like people instead of putting them in categories you then belittle.

Den

And yet another lecture! :D

Nothing argumentative about my comments unless they are thoughts and comments that don't align with the thoughts of the general population of this board. I am as much entitled to post my opinions and thoughts on topics in these boards as anyone else is so my suggestion to those who are adverse to my thoughts or opinions is to put my posts on ignore and then the problem will be solved.

I would ask that, in future, you refrain from making direct personal attacks at me or I shall have to report you for any further direct personal attacks.

Archived