Gratuity (tip)for private tour guide

Anna201213

We usually tip 15 - 20% (20% if fabulous). If we are with others, we usually agree ahead of time and one of us collects the tip and gives it to the guide at the end. A lot depends on what the guide does -- transporting to a place where other guides take over (eg Pompei) would result in a lower tip than if the guide does it all.

We usually tip 15 - 20% (20% if fabulous). If we are with others, we usually agree ahead of time and one of us collects the tip and gives it to the guide at the end. A lot depends on what the guide does -- transporting to a place where other guides take over (eg Pompei) would result in a lower tip than if the guide does it all.

Well said Laraine. Spot on.

Not one to be a slacker when it comes to tipping but are you suggesting a 15 - 20% per person? A normal tour usually between $100 - $200 would result in tips of $15 - $40 per. Not bad work if you can get it:) Just courious.

Can you give me an average for private tour guide tip (gratuity) Ex: a 5 hours private guide for 2 people in Italy or Ephesus.

Our TA suggests 10% for the guide and 5% for the driver. Given separately. The driver has your life in his hands. The driver we had in Saigon was a marvel.

Not one to be a slacker when it comes to tipping but are you suggesting a 15 - 20% per person? A normal tour usually between $100 - $200 would result in tips of $15 - $40 per. Not bad work if you can get it:) Just courious.

Yes. 15% per person of per person cost or of total amount = same amount.

That is how we do it. We generally have fabulous guides and we believe in generously rewarding them for a great experience.

Most European guides do not expect tips it may already be included in their price

Our guide was shock when I gave him 15% for one of our tours & went to give me back the difference in the price quoted & what I had given him

They do not think like North Americans..

Since most people here like to quote Rick Steves

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tipping.htm

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/eurotips.htm

In Brazil, our tour guide refused the tip saying that he had charged us accordingly. His rates were more reasonable than Oceania's tours. I think you have to go with the customs of the country you are visiting. Read a travel book and see what they say for your destinations.

Archived