Room Service when leaving port

NoobCruise

On the Westerdam, I was wondering if there are any times they don't do room service?

Specifically, we'll be in Juneau from 1pm to 10 pm. Our excursion returns at 8:15. I'm assuming we won't really have time to do anything in town after, just board the ship. We have the port side aft wrap-around balcony. I was thinking it would be cool to be having a romantic late dinner on our balcony as we pull out of port at 10pm. Will they do room service just before we pull out of port?

Also, how is the lighting on the balcony? Is there a "porch light" that always stays on? It'd be cool to turn it off then have several battery operated "candles" on the table - drinks and hors d'ouvers, then dinner.

Yes there is a light on the balcony -- pretty bright.

Yes you can have dinner on your balcony but you will have to order your dinner within the first hour of the dining room opening (5:15 - 6:15) which will be difficult for you as you will be on a tour.

You can order from this:

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Thanks Krazy Kruzers! Guess the flameless candles will be pointless lol

Any chance the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge would let us pre-order the 10pm (or maybe 9:30 pm) room service before we leave the ship at 1pm since we'll be on our excursion during the ordering time?

You can ask but they really want people that wish to dine from the dining room menu to call when it first opens for serving that evening. You can have it delivered at time of your choice during their service hours.

We have not been on the Westerdam, so I can't say about that ship. There has been a light switch to turn off the balcony light on every ship we've been on and had a balcony cabin. We enjoy sitting out there and looking at the stars. ;)

All of the verandas have a light swtich at the veranda doorway.

Your neighbors will thank you if you leave the light off at night. It bothers some people to have the light on all night. Not 10 P.M. but 2 A.M. :)

All of the verandas have a light swtich at the veranda doorway.

Your neighbors will thank you if you leave the light off at night. It bothers some people to have the light on all night. Not 10 P.M. but 2 A.M. :)

:) I'm one that light bothers so it will definitely be off! And I'll toss in the flameless candles after all :) Thanks!

Don't you think it will be kind of chilly to dine outside in September? It could even be raining. I would prefer to enjoy my meal inside, facing out and then going out for sail-away. You could still turn off lights on balcony & cabin and use your pretty battery candles.:)

Any chance the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge would let us pre-order the 10pm (or maybe 9:30 pm) room service before we leave the ship at 1pm since we'll be on our excursion during the ordering time?

I would definitely talk to the concierge - especially if you know your choices (you can ask for the menu for the next day in advance). I know they like you to order it yourself, but when we did our special in room dining served course by course - we had to arrange it in advance. I'm not suggesting you do that, but I'm guessing if they can do that for 8 pm (which is when we had ours), they should be able to arrange to do regular dinner. JMO - no guarantees but I would definitely ask. Or start with course by course request and then say you don't want to put them out so you will be happy with regular dinner all at once (yes, I am evil) I think 10 pm might be too late, but if you are planning on being back at 8:15 then I would aim for maybe 9 pm. Good luck:)

We have not been on the Westerdam, so I can't say about that ship. There has been a light switch to turn off the balcony light on every ship we've been on and had a balcony cabin. We enjoy sitting out there and looking at the stars. ;)

When we were on the Zuiderdam in January, the balcony lights were all turned off and the switches disabled. They didn't want any balcony lights on because it interfered with visibility for navigation. :(

However, there was enough light on the balcony from inside to enjoy post-dinner wine and cheese. I'm sure it would be perfect for dinner too. :)

Don't you think it will be kind of chilly to dine outside in September? It could even be raining. I would prefer to enjoy my meal inside, facing out and then going out for sail-away. You could still turn off lights on balcony & cabin and use your pretty battery candles.:)

Cold doesn't bother us. We're outdoors people, often camping ang hiking in temps close to zero. We're used to hanging out in outdoor bars and grills at our ski resorts. Not a problem. You just have to dress appropriately.

If it's raining, we'll definitely be inside for dinner. and yes, we understand it may rain excessively on our trip, or we may have nice weather. we're flexible and will roll with whatever the weather. We often camp and hike in the rain. Its all good.

Are there sail away parties every time you leave a port, or just the day of embarkation?

When we were on the Zuiderdam in January, the balcony lights were all turned off and the switches disabled. They didn't want any balcony lights on because it interfered with visibility for navigation. :(

)

We'd rather have the lights off for a romantic dinner with battery "candles" and to enjoy the city lights as we leave port.

jeniffer of the Neptune lounge on the Rotterdam took our order for dinner the night before St Pete's, but we did make it a fairly easy order of three dinners the same, french onion soup, steaks, salads, etc. We didn't bother with the menu of the evening. I can tell you that this was a blessing, since we were so tired, that a before dinner nap was called for, and we ate in our robes,

Marilyn

However, there was enough light on the balcony from inside to enjoy post-dinner wine and cheese. I'm sure it would be perfect for dinner too. :)

That's odd. I've never seen that before. I wished that was the case with one cruise I was on. My neighbours left their light on all night, every night. It was quite annoying.

Are there sail away parties every time you leave a port, or just the day of embarkation? Just on the day of embarkation has been my experience on Hal.

That's what I thought. Our embarkation port is Seattle, so no sail away parties in Juneau...well, except our own ;)

That's odd. I've never seen that before. I wished that was the case with one cruise I was on. My neighbours left their light on all night, every night. It was quite annoying.

I've never seen that on an HAL ship either.

Archived