New to Cruise Critic & Oceania

DS Cruzers

We just found this website today and are having trouble deciding on tours. We know we are late but if there is any space available on private tours in Provence, Florence, or Amalfi/Sorrento please let us know. We would love to join someone's tour. This is our first Oceania cruise and have noticed many people are seeking private tour companies in lieu of the ship's tours. I wish we would have been introduced to this site earlier so we would of been privy to more info.

Is anyone else booked at the NH Calderon in Barcelona? Many of you seemed to be staying at the Arts Hotel. Also, we have transfers through the cruise line to the airport on April 12. Our flight leaves at 11:15 am, can we rely on them to get us to the airport on time or should we be looking into private transfers?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to meeting some of you on board!

We just found this website today and are having trouble deciding on tours. We know we are late but if there is any space available on private tours in Provence, Florence, or Amalfi/Sorrento please let us know. We would love to join someone's tour. This is our first Oceania cruise and have noticed many people are seeking private tour companies in lieu of the ship's tours. I wish we would have been introduced to this site earlier so we would of been privy to more info.

Is anyone else booked at the NH Calderon in Barcelona? Many of you seemed to be staying at the Arts Hotel. Also, we have transfers through the cruise line to the airport on April 12. Our flight leaves at 11:15 am, can we rely on them to get us to the airport on time or should we be looking into private transfers?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to meeting some of you on board!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Since you seem to want to network with other passengers who are also booked on a specific cruise, you will have more luck on the ROLL CALL Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Simply click on the name of your ship and then look for a thread for your sailing date!

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Glad that you brought that up DZ Cruisers. We have a 10:30am flight and this was booked by Oceania. I was wondering if they do something special for those who must leave early. I was thinking of breakfast, maybe room service. I believe that we will have to take the Oceania transfer since there is not much time before the flight. Much more expensive, but hope that they get us there in time.

I have posted this on the roll call for my cruise but no one answered so I am posting here to see if there are any thoughts.

Thanks to all who reply.

Glad that you brought that up DZ Cruisers. We have a 10:30am flight and this was booked by Oceania. I was wondering if they do something special for those who must leave early. I was thinking of breakfast, maybe room service. I believe that we will have to take the Oceania transfer since there is not much time before the flight. Much more expensive, but hope that they get us there in time.

I have posted this on the roll call for my cruise but no one answered so I am posting here to see if there are any thoughts.

Thanks to all who reply.

we've almost always used Oceana's air with deviation but made no changes on the disembarkation in except for once. Consequently we've always opted for their expensive ship to airport transfers. I can only assume that a without a deviation and have booked their transfer they would get you to the flight on time.

As for the question about Oceania doing 'something special for those who must leave early' I gather you're speaking in terms of breakfast.

The one time we have had to leave early, very early in fact at 5 AM which was one time we did not disembark the cruise and then go immediately to the flight, and the Destination Desk and the Concierge despite several requests for confirmation told us we would be able to disembark at that time but we were in fact not able to leave the ship for at least an hour and a half later. In the end we did get to our privately arranged tour on time but it was a needlessly stressful wait because of misinformation or ignorance by the Destination Desk. Consequently I have very little faith in anything they tell me now. From my experience they are the weakest department on ship by far.

I read on a recent post that another passenger got a 'hot' breakfast delivered to their stateroom that they would not normally be entitled to get (based on their stateroom category.) The assumption was that because their disembarkation time was so much earlier than when a restaurant was open, room service gave them a hot breakfast despite that otherwise they would not be entitled to one.

I know that does not answer your questions specifically based on my own experience, but it seems that a hot breakfast *may* be available to you if you have to disembark so very early in the morning but we've also never missed the connection with Oceana making the travel arrangements and buying the expensive transfers to reduce the stress when time is tight.

On our cruise in February, several people had early departures and they opened the dining room and Terrace Cafe early. What several couples did that normally ate in their cabins is they sent one member up to the Terrace Cafe to get food and take it to their cabin so that they still had breakfast in their cabin.

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like they will feed us in one way or another. As long as I have something to eat and my coffee in the morning. I guess they will look after us.

Yes, we will purchase the more expensive Oceania transfer. It is more convenient when you do not have that much time.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, DS Cruzers!

You will be very happy with your choice of cruiselines for your first sailing....in fact you will be so spoiled you may have reservations regarding the more standard lines later (after your cruising addiction takes hold!) However, we have sailed a number of ships and have never had a bad time. We leave for the Insignia's last voyage later this morning!

Hot breakfast is available in PH cabins and above - but it is perfectly permissable to send someone to the buffet and bring the food back to the cabin.

You will find the service and food on Oceania to be exemplary. I always have the sense that "this is how the other half lives" :) You will also appreciate the included airfare and other perks. (we do not use their excursions or transfers - but join with other members of our roll call to book these privately and save a great deal doing so. Private excursions are typically much les and a better experience than those offered on the ship)

Your roll call members will be of great assistance to you. Most are veterans at cruising :)

Have a great time!

Archived