Another change for Thompson....

Sorry if you knew this but there is something else happening.....

Thomson adds a touch of Majesty

Posted March 14, 2012 by admin

The big changes over at Thomson Cruises, with Thomson Destiny out and Thomson Majesty in, are only the start of a major modernisation.

Thomson Cruises’ managing director Fraser Ellacott tells me the ship swap with Louis Cruises is phase one of the programme and phase two will be revealed in the next few weeks.

He wouldn’t give me any hints, but I’ve been summoned to a Thomson gathering on April 3 so I’m hoping to learn more then.

The Majesty move should be good for Thomson. The 1,462-passenger ship is no spring chicken (it was built in 1992) but it is their newest vessel by six years.

It doesn’t have any balconies, which is not ideal, but it does have multiple dining venues – three waiter-service restaurants, a self-service and a pool-side grill – several lounges and bars, a good-size spa and the kids’ club is larger than the ones on their other ships.

Louis Cruises bought the ship from Norwegian Cruise Line but it has been laid up in Piraeus for much of the winter. Now renamed Thomson Majesty (it was Norwegian Majesty, then Louis Majesty), it is now also having Thomson branding added and will enter service in its new colours in May, sailing in the Mediterranean and Canary Islands.

Any customers booked on Thomson Destiny this summer are being transferred to the Majesty. “I think our customers will enjoy the new ship,” Fraser tells me, in what must be the understatement of the year.

Thomson Destiny, launched 1982, will go back to Louis Cruises and no doubt turn up under another name in the near future.

Sorry if you knew this but there is something else happening.....

Thomson adds a touch of Majesty

Posted March 14, 2012 by admin

The big changes over at Thomson Cruises, with Thomson Destiny out and Thomson Majesty in, are only the start of a major modernisation.

Thomson Cruises’ managing director Fraser Ellacott tells me the ship swap with Louis Cruises is phase one of the programme and phase two will be revealed in the next few weeks.

He wouldn’t give me any hints, but I’ve been summoned to a Thomson gathering on April 3 so I’m hoping to learn more then.

The Majesty move should be good for Thomson. The 1,462-passenger ship is no spring chicken (it was built in 1992) but it is their newest vessel by six years.

It doesn’t have any balconies, which is not ideal, but it does have multiple dining venues – three waiter-service restaurants, a self-service and a pool-side grill – several lounges and bars, a good-size spa and the kids’ club is larger than the ones on their other ships.

Louis Cruises bought the ship from Norwegian Cruise Line but it has been laid up in Piraeus for much of the winter. Now renamed Thomson Majesty (it was Norwegian Majesty, then Louis Majesty), it is now also having Thomson branding added and will enter service in its new colours in May, sailing in the Mediterranean and Canary Islands.

Any customers booked on Thomson Destiny this summer are being transferred to the Majesty. “I think our customers will enjoy the new ship,” Fraser tells me, in what must be the understatement of the year.

Thomson Destiny, launched 1982, will go back to Louis Cruises and no doubt turn up under another name in the near future.

Oooh, very exciting! :D

Here's the link I think for it from the original site:

http://blog.cruisingshow.co.uk/?p=3738

So it looks like they might actually be modernising a bit more then. Guessing that it will be linked in with summer 2013 releases a few weeks after this 'gathering'.

So what do we all think then it will be? Obviously will be a new ship (I use the word 'new' loosely :D). They did say they were looking at expansion so I'd doubt this time it will be a ship swap. Nothing left at Louis at the moment for them to have so must be looking elsewhere this time.

Would have though the future of Island Cruises will be confirmed here too. My guess it will probably go to make way for a new addition to the Thomson fleet. Hopefully might mention that they're going to do some improvements on the exisiting fleet, which I think we have started to now see on Celebration.

Of course, it could be an announcement saying they are going to purchase and build new liners, but somehow I very much doubt it! :D

Anyone find any more info, please post! :)

Oooh, very exciting! :D

Here's the link I think for it from the original site:

http://blog.cruisingshow.co.uk/?p=3738

So it looks like they might actually be modernising a bit more then. Guessing that it will be linked in with summer 2013 releases a few weeks after this 'gathering'.

So what do we all think then it will be? Obviously will be a new ship (I use the word 'new' loosely :D). They did say they were looking at expansion so I'd doubt this time it will be a ship swap. Nothing left at Louis at the moment for them to have so must be looking elsewhere this time.

Would have though the future of Island Cruises will be confirmed here too. My guess it will probably go to make way for a new addition to the Thomson fleet. Hopefully might mention that they're going to do some improvements on the exisiting fleet, which I think we have started to now see on Celebration.

Of course, it could be an announcement saying they are going to purchase and build new liners, but somehow I very much doubt it! :D

Anyone find any more info, please post! :)

Could this be the aquasition of another ship,possibly Pacific Sun? and Island Escape out.

What have we seen on Celebration, Sailaway487?

I agree this must relate to Island Escape, since we know she was not listed for Summer 2013.

They've started to update some of the cabins by changing them from the L-shaped layout to the standard beds being next to each other instead. They did say a while back that with the 'modernising' plans they were going to look at the potential of adding new ships to their fleet and also maybe updating its exisiting ones. Hopefully, this is just the start of updating Celebration as it would be a shame to get rid of it.

They've started to update some of the cabins by changing them from the L-shaped layout to the standard beds being next to each other instead. They did say a while back that with the 'modernising' plans they were going to look at the potential of adding new ships to their fleet and also maybe updating its exisiting ones. Hopefully, this is just the start of updating Celebration as it would be a shame to get rid of it.

OK, thanks. It is the bathrooms which need updating more than the layout, though!

Could this be the aquasition of another ship,possibly Pacific Sun? and Island Escape out.

Possibly as its future seems to be questioned at the moment in terms of is it going to China or not? Seems like an ok ship, but is still quite old (1986). Would have hoped for something slightly newer but I suppose it depends on whats for sale.

We know we've definitely got Majesty and Dream for next summer (Dream being on charter till 2020), but just hope that they're not going to lose Spirit or Celebration. Spirit's charter is up in 2014 so I suppose if they don't do some updates or modernise it, I would have thought it would probably leave soon. :(

Island Escape does look like it could be going as no mention of it on itinerary lists for next year and when they're mentioning next year's sailings, only Thomson Cruises is ever mentioned and not Island.

Lets just hope that 'phase 2' goes down a little better than how 'phase 1' went down. I'm guessing that with the information coming in the next few weeks, I would doubt that this time it would be affecting people who are already booked on cruises, and this time will simply be a new addition next summer. They can't now be swapping people between ships again for this summer (too late now), and I would have thought this winter is now covered itinerary wise. Dream's going to the Caribbean (and we know isn't leaving the fleet), Majesty's doing the Canary Islands (new addition so won't go) and can't see Celebration changing from its Red Sea itineraries so another ship must be for summer 2013.

When Cruiseman put the itinerary lists for next year up, he had information on Dream, Majesty, Celebration & Spirit. No information on Destiny (we now know why) and no information on Island Escape. Would guess then Island Escape to go and another ship to join fleet sailing from, most likely, Palma.

The plot thickens. Maybe they should invest in new ships over say 5 years, I think they have the market for it, and Tui have the money. They (Tui not Thomson) already have a nice ship don't they? On the other hand I can think of a couple of other ships they may be available shortly.

sweby

PS I hope they keep the Celebration, but just give it a make over, especially the Bathrooms.

The plot thickens. Maybe they should invest in new ships over say 5 years, I think they have the market for it, and Tui have the money. They (Tui not Thomson) already have a nice ship don't they? On the other hand I can think of a couple of other ships they may be available shortly.

sweby

PS I hope they keep the Celebration, but just give it a make over, especially the Bathrooms.

I agree, bring in new additions over a period of a few years. There product is popular. Entertainment, staff and itineraries are very good. The main thing that needs improving are the ships.

Hopefully Celebration will be kept for a few number of years - love that ship. They just need to update it a bit with improving its cabins and some of the interior areas.

Just out of interest, which other ships do you think could be available for them?

Lets hope they are going to swap the Island escape this summer for a brand new ship! Im sailing in august and am a bit worried!!! :D :D :D

Doubt it will this year, but probably more like its replacement next year. I've read so many different reviews on Island Escape - some really love it and will be sad to see it go where as others say they'd never sail on it again. You can't help notice though the big price difference between a similar itinerary on Island Escape and that on Thomson Dream. Also, with the cancellation of last winters itineraries on it because of lack of demand, I would guess Thomson will be keen to get rid of it.

Then again, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise! :)

Any improvement for me must include replacement of Spirit and Celebration. However they tart up the interior there remains the problem of the single cabins. They are located in ex crew cabins down below beside the noisy engines. Getting a good night sleep IMO should be part of a relaxing holiday.

The problem could be fixed as part of any improvement. Swop those single cabins with some of the crew ones forward!

Just fixing a few bedrooms here and there is not a long term solution. Thomson need ships that are considerably newer than their current fleet, with the possible exception of Majesty. They need balconies as well!

No treating solo cruisers (and the odd person in other parties) as second class citizens either. I can't understand this policy as once aboard Thomson treat solo cruisers better than say P&O, however on P&O you can book any cabin almost up to a balcony.

Any improvement for me must include replacement of Spirit and Celebration. However they tart up the interior there remains the problem of the single cabins. They are located in ex crew cabins down below beside the noisy engines. Getting a good night sleep IMO should be part of a relaxing holiday.

Will you leave the Spirit alone Dave :rolleyes: I've told you this before, I love it, if we hadn't already got September booked, we would have gone on it again, probably round Britain.

Saga are very good for single travellers:D:D

BTW, when are you going on P&O and which ship are you going on? We haven't tried P&O yet, but I fancy going on the Oriana.

Will you leave the Spirit alone Dave :rolleyes: I've told you this before, I love it, if we hadn't already got September booked, we would have gone on it again, probably round Britain.

Saga are very good for single travellers:D:D

BTW, when are you going on P&O and which ship are you going on? We haven't tried P&O yet, but I fancy going on the Oriana.

On my post I meant to say on P&O any cabin below suite!

Spirit is fine, for couples

I am not old enough for Saga, or Fred Olsen, I am only 61 :D

P&O Ventura next week, hopefully as I have had gastro-enteritis this weekend, not norovirus I think because no vomiting but I was panicking that I would not make the cruise. I feel a lot better today so hopefully all will be well!

It is only a 7 night fill in cruise to Spain and France, a nice inside booked forward on B deck 4 decks above the entertainment decks. I have been on Ventura before and last time got two free cabin upgrades and ended up in a outside forward :D

It ia a busy year for cruising. after the Ventura cruise it is easter then in late april i am off on P&O Oceana around the Med. followed by Spirit to the North Cape in June and Ventura again in September.

no I am not rich, just bored;)

I am not old enough for Saga, or Fred Olsen, I am only 61 :D

Spirit to the North Cape in June

Well I first went on a Saga holiday when I was 60;)

And Fred Olsen has all ages of passengers, though mainly, I must admit, of the older generation;)

I see you are going on the Spirit then:rolleyes:

Well I first went on a Saga holiday when I was 60;)

And Fred Olsen has all ages of passengers, though mainly, I must admit, of the older generation;)

I see you are going on the Spirit then:rolleyes:

Yes, third time on Spirit and looking forward to North Cape. It was a few hundred cheaper than the P&O equivalent so I will suffer the noisy cabins. I booked before my Ventura cruise last autumn which was a real eye opener as far as cabin comfort was concerned. In the future I will not be cruising on any Thomson ship which has badly located singles. I booked Destiny for next winter because I knew I could reserve the cabin I wanted. So now we have the Majesty and where are those inside single cabins located?

I fancy the Baltic for next summer but it looks like it won't be Thomson because it is Spirit with her bad cabins.

Yes, third time on Spirit and looking forward to North Cape. It was a few hundred cheaper than the P&O equivalent so I will suffer the noisy cabins. I booked before my Ventura cruise last autumn which was a real eye opener as far as cabin comfort was concerned. In the future I will not be cruising on any Thomson ship which has badly located singles. I booked Destiny for next winter because I knew I could reserve the cabin I wanted. So now we have the Majesty and where are those inside single cabins located?

I fancy the Baltic for next summer but it looks like it won't be Thomson because it is Spirit with her bad cabins.

I can't see Thomson renewing its contract from Louis with Thomson Spirit when it runs out in 2014. Would have thought that either next year or 2014 will be its last sailings with Thomson. Without a lot of work doing to it (which, as it is owned by Louis, they probably have problems doing it) I can't see them sailing it much longer. It's a shame as it is a nice ship, but it doesn't really fit in with their modernising plans.

Its done well though with Thomson. Next year it will be 10 years being in the Thomson fleet. Think its the longest charter they've had for any ship (I think), or if not one of the longest.

I wonder whether the 'phase 2' of the news is simply just they're getting rid of the Island Cruises brand. When you consider it, from what we know, they're doesn't seem to be many ships at the moment available that will fit in with their product, a medium-sized ship which is more modern than its existing ships. Perhaps they'll get rid of Island Escape and then wait for a year or so.

I wonder whether the 'phase 2' of the news is simply just they're getting rid of the Island Cruises brand. When you consider it, from what we know, they're doesn't seem to be many ships at the moment available that will fit in with their product, a medium-sized ship which is more modern than its existing ships. Perhaps they'll get rid of Island Escape and then wait for a year or so.

then there is the problem of only needing half a ship:)

Or at least one ship for half the year. In winter we have the Caribbean, Canaries and Red Sea. That is 3 ships, or 2 if the Red Sea goes bad.

Spirit is laid up in winter and it can't make economic sense to have a updated ship which is only earning revenue for half the year.

then there is the problem of only needing half a ship:)

Or at least one ship for half the year. In winter we have the Caribbean, Canaries and Red Sea. That is 3 ships, or 2 if the Red Sea goes bad.

Spirit is laid up in winter and it can't make economic sense to have a updated ship which is only earning revenue for half the year.

That is the problem at the moment. That's one good thing about their charters, at least when they don't need them Thomson doesn't have them laid up doing nothing - that's then Louis' problem.

I suppose they could put an extra ship in the Caribbean in the winter, something they've done before - or start looking elsewhere, hopefully the Far East.

Archived