Another change for Thompson....

I wonder whether the 'phase 2' of the news is simply just they're getting rid of the Island Cruises brand. When you consider it, from what we know, they're doesn't seem to be many ships at the moment available that will fit in with their product, a medium-sized ship which is more modern than its existing ships. Perhaps they'll get rid of Island Escape and then wait for a year or so.

Still think Thomsons need a ship of the "Island Escape" type brand? The Island Ecsape have a good following because of the laid back style.

Thomson Majesty to replace the IE and another ship comes into replace the Majesty..just a thought :D

That is the problem at the moment. That's one good thing about their charters, at least when they don't need them Thomson doesn't have them laid up doing nothing - that's then Louis' problem.

I suppose they could put an extra ship in the Caribbean in the winter, something they've done before - or start looking elsewhere, hopefully the Far East.

Keep plugging it we'll get there eventually.;)

No one seems to be mentioning the "wobble" on Spirit/Celebration which a marine engineer told me was so bad now that it would need replacing not fixing so in his opinion they were just being run into the ground. :confused:

Keep plugging it we'll get there eventually.;)

No one seems to be mentioning the "wobble" on Spirit/Celebration which a marine engineer told me was so bad now that it would need replacing not fixing so in his opinion they were just being run into the ground. :confused:

:D! Lets hope someone at head office is reading this!!

The 'wobble' I think will be one of the reasons to get rid of Spirit/Celebration. Even though I don't really notice it much when I'm onboard, they'd definitely rather a ship without it than with it. Think the 'wobble' will be one of the deciders to get rid of these ships with probably Spirit going first.

Still think Thomsons need a ship of the "Island Escape" type brand? The Island Ecsape have a good following because of the laid back style.

Thomson Majesty to replace the IE and another ship comes into replace the Majesty..just a thought :D

Island Cruises does seem to have a loyal following, but I suppose from a Thomson perspective they're probably looking at selling it on. With only one ship in the Island brand, it seems they're not as bothered about progressing the brand much further.

When you compare prices for Dream and Island Escape on a similar cruise, Island Escape is cheaper by a fair amount. Add to to this the fact they had to cancel its cruises last winter because of lack of demand, and instead substitute its itineraries with Thomson Celebration, I can't see them wanting to keep it for much longer. Perhaps, like we've said before, that Island Cruises should remain a seperate brand from Thomson and TUI.

Just remembered that Thomson said on their blog about Thomson Majesty that it will be sailing Eastern Mediterranean in 2013. That, with Cruiseman's itinerary lists, it doesn't look like Majesty would replace Island Escape.

Where's the smug smiley when you want one :D

sorry to butt into the conversation peeps, but i am a bit naive as i am still a first time cruiser. Did i see someone mention, that China might be on the agenda in the future and if so on what ship?

Thanks and apologies if i mis-read it.:)

sorry to butt into the conversation peeps, but i am a bit naive as i am still a first time cruiser. Did i see someone mention, that China might be on the agenda in the future and if so on what ship?

All just rumour, and probably hope at the moment that they could venture into the Far East in the future - its been mentioned a few times that they could do so. In 2013, Thomson Airways are due to get the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. With these new aircraft, Thomson are planning on flying to new destinations (all still in the planning stage at the moment though as to where they will be going).

Once they are flying to these new destinations it will be easier for them to place a ship there in the future to sail. As I say though, all rumour and hope at the moment, but you never know! With mentions of changes in the ships and possible expansion, they may start looking at new destinations to sail from. There's many members on here that as soon as they go on sale, we'll definitely be looking at booking. But, chances are it will probably not happen. We'll see... :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/03/28/40016/opinion+atol+changes+are+welcome+despite+the+pain.html

"There will be another announcement from Thomson Cruises very soon, so it is exciting times for cruise at Tui.

The majority of Thomson cruise are sold through the trade and the ships have a very loyal following, so it’s great to see the company investing like this."

April 3rd, can't wait to hear what the announcement will be! But it involves that phrase which is all too lacking sometimes with Thomson - investment.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/03/28/40016/opinion+atol+changes+are+welcome+despite+the+pain.html

"There will be another announcement from Thomson Cruises very soon, so it is exciting times for cruise at Tui.

The majority of Thomson cruise are sold through the trade and the ships have a very loyal following, so it’s great to see the company investing like this."

April 3rd, can't wait to hear what the announcement will be! But it involves that phrase which is all too lacking sometimes with Thomson - investment.

Looking forward to next Tuesday when hopefully more information will come out about this announcement. :D

They seem to be bigging this announcement up by keeping the information quite a secret and then adding in articles that there's some exciting news to come soon. Could it be there actually going to properly invest this time with a much better fleet of ships, or are we actually going to see some new builds?? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. :D

Maybe kruzseeka might have some inside news for us when she comes back this weekend! :)

Looking forward to next Tuesday when hopefully more information will come out about this announcement. :D

They seem to be bigging this announcement up by keeping the information quite a secret and then adding in articles that there's some exciting news to come soon. Could it be there actually going to properly invest this time with a much better fleet of ships, or are we actually going to see some new builds?? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. :D

Maybe kruzseeka might have some inside news for us when she comes back this weekend! :)

I really hope this announcement is worth waiting for (I can't stand announcements about announcements why don't they just say what they want to say ;)).

I must admit I'm starting to feel a little bit cheesed off with all the improvements on Destiny now it's being handed back and the bright shiny ships for Tui Germany. Are we just the fools who will put up with anything while the money made goes to everyone else ?:(

and.....NO INFLIGHT MEALS!! The Swine! the best they can offer is baguette and chips,baguette and chips?! some of us book our holiday looking forward to those little plastic trays with the foil containers containing dried up mush, they've gone too far now

and.....NO INFLIGHT MEALS!! The Swine! the best they can offer is baguette and chips,baguette and chips?! some of us book our holiday looking forward to those little plastic trays with the foil containers containing dried up mush, they've gone too far now

Thanks you've made me smile again:):). After all lifes too short isn't it?

Have to admit always enjoyed airline food, especially the breakfasts! :o

I really hope this announcement is worth waiting for (I can't stand announcements about announcements why don't they just say what they want to say ;)).

I must admit I'm starting to feel a little bit cheesed off with all the improvements on Destiny now it's being handed back and the bright shiny ships for Tui Germany. Are we just the fools who will put up with anything while the money made goes to everyone else ?:(

It's a shame Louis have now decided to update Thomson Destiny after all those years of hardly doing anything too it when it was with Thomson. TUI Cruises ships are so much better than ours, but then the price of going on them does reflect this. However, just a bit of the money that is spent on these ships would really improve Thomson's fleet. I think one of the main things is is that TUI Cruises is considered as a separate brand to the main TUI holiday operation and also has links with Royal Caribbean. Whereas, with Thomson Cruises, it seems to be simply a section of the main Thomson operation. You can tell this by their websites. TUI Cruises has its own entirely from TUI's, whereas Thomson Cruises is a section of the main Thomson site.

If I had to guess about the announcement, I'd say it will be confirmation on Island Escape's future and the Island Cruises brand, plus perhaps a new ship to join the fleet, starting next summer, sailing from, most likely, Palma. Lets see how wrong I get it! ;)

Will now probably just be announcement saying they've decided to change the carpet of a corridor on Celebration! :D

OK, so could be completely wrong here, but been doing a bit of searching regarding the possibility of a new ship next summer that seems to be hinted at. Currently they charter from two companies - Louis & Holland America. Louis currently don't have any other ships that would fit with Thomson now, so unless they were to purchase and charter a ship very quickly, I doubt they'll be chartering from them.

Now, Holland America have got plenty of ships that Thomson could charter, mainly its Statendam fleet. The ships are around 55,000 GRT (around the same as Thomson Dream) and first sailed in 1993. Thomson have favoured the ex-HAL ships in the past: Spirit, Celebration and Dream all being ex-HAL.

Currently all the ships in the HAL fleet are down to be sailing next summer, all that is apart from one - MS Maasdam. It has sailings till April 2013, but nothing after this. There's currently a thread regarding this on the Holland America forum.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1602075

Many wondering there where its going after, with someone mentioning that apparantely it is to be chartered in 2013. Could this be the announcement from Thomson??? :confused:

It would fit in very well with the fleet. It has more balcony cabins than any of the other Thomson ships (around 150), a two-storey dining room, a proper atrium and a good theatre-style show lounge. It is also the right size, similar to Thomson Dream, and is the logical step-up, especially considering that three ships already in the fleet are ex-HAL, and all of the HAL ships that have retired most recently have ended up with Thomson. First sailing in 1993, it is a similar age to Thomson Majesty, which was the first stage in the 'modernising' plan.

Probably though none of this will be true at all! Just trying to put two and two together to try and find some sort of information! :) Got to admit though, it would make sense! ;)

Well. that looks the business doesn't it? Not getting excited though, I think Majesty is the new ship. However if it's this one, better start saving now!!

If it is the case, definitely would like to try it next year as it would be the best ship that Thomson have ever had. However, pretty sure that I'm talking a load of rubbish and we will never get this ship. Oh well, we can hope! :D

Please tell me this isn't this big announcement:

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/03/29/40035/des-oconnor-to-appear-on-thomson-cruise.html

If so what a disappointment!!! Des O'Connor performing on a Celebration cruise! Well thats not modern! :)

Please Thomson that this isn't the up-and-coming announcement!

Archived