Captain's cocktail party Westerdam

NoobCruise

Captins now have Welcome Aboard Toast in the show lounge. It is done twice, once for early diners and once for those with later seatings.

Captain gives a short talk, introduces some of his Officers, the Employee of the Month and glasses of champagne are passed for all to toast.

It is held the first formal night.

There is also a Captain's Cocktail Party that is by invitation only for "VIPs". Generally suite guests and others considered VIPs are invited to this. This is always a nice affair. (I guess I'm a little cheap sometimes, but if I'm invited to something onboard and they are going to give me free liquor...I'm there...LOL)

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to avoid disappointment or expectations that may not happen......

Not all suite guests are invited to that cocktail party. I don't know how they make the list but know the number invited varies greatly cruise to cruise, ship to ship and not all suite guests are always invited nor are they promised they will be.

They are promised a cocktail party with Officers and that is the Suite Welcome Aboard party.

There is also a Captain's Cocktail Party that is by invitation only for "VIPs". Generally suite guests and others considered VIPs are invited to this. This is always a nice affair. (I guess I'm a little cheap sometimes, but if I'm invited to something onboard and they are going to give me free liquor...I'm there...LOL)

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the one I'm referring to. We booked a deluxe verandah suite and the perks say "cocktail party with ships officers". so drinks are free? :)

thanks for clarifying Sails7seas, in case we're not invited

Just to avoid disappointment or expectations that may not happen......

Not all suite guests are invited to that cocktail party. I don't know how they make the list but know the number invited varies greatly cruise to cruise, ship to ship and not all suite guests are always invited nor are they promised they will be.

They are promised a cocktail party with Officers and that is the Suite Welcome Aboard party.

Very true - on our Maasdam cruise I was invited and my dh wasn't:eek: Needless to say, I didn't bother to go. I'll probably never get such an invite again - oh well, c'est la vie;)

Very true - on our Maasdam cruise I was invited and my dh wasn't:eek: Needless to say, I didn't bother to go. I'll probably never get such an invite again - oh well, c'est la vie;)

Kazu......

A word to the concierge about the error of not inviting your DH would have straightened out that issue and you both could have enjoyed the party. It's a nice party.... usually. :)

Kazu......

A word to the concierge about the error of not inviting your DH would have straightened out that issue and you both could have enjoyed the party. It's a nice party.... usually. :)

Unfortunately not Sail, I tried:rolleyes: Remember the pompous one? -I was told no way believe it or not. when I got the next invite for something else, I didn't even try, I just turfed it.

This is the one I'm referring to. We booked a deluxe verandah suite and the perks say "cocktail party with ships officers". so drinks are free? :)

thanks for clarifying Sails7seas, in case we're not invited

absolutely, the drinks are free and they are nice munchies too:)

lol I wouldn't go either. However, I'd get a kick out of teasing DH that I was "special", but we tease each other that way lol can't take life or yourselves too seriously.

Ok, i didnt mention this in my review a month ago but DH and I were invited to the Captain's cocktail party! We were thrilled of coursebut I have no idea why we were invited. Going to be a little difficult to top THAT first cruise experience. Lol.

Actually it will be difficult to top everything about that first cruise!

Ok, i didnt mention this in my review a month ago but DH and I were invited to the Captain's cocktail party! We were thrilled of coursebut I have no idea why we were invited. Going to be a little difficult to top THAT first cruise experience. Lol.

Actually it will be difficult to top everything about that first cruise!

What level cabin were you in? I was thinking if they only invite some suite members, but not all, maybe they go by VIPs they just want to invite and Penthouse, then SA, then SB, then SC? If they leave people off, then probably SCs get scratched, then SBs. Mariner level probably comes into play too. We're in SB and 1st HAL cruise, so who knows lol

There is also a welcome aboard cocktail party that all suite guest are invited to. The Captain, Hotel Manager etc. are present for. It has been held in the Neptune Lounge. Its kind of nice to meet the Captain and other Officers but it usually is so crowded after doing the reception line, we leave. You do get free drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Usually the drinks consisted of Champagne, Mimosa, Wine, Oj.

Unfortunately not Sail, I tried:rolleyes: Remember the pompous one? -I was told no way believe it or not. when I got the next invite for something else, I didn't even try, I just turfed it.

That is disgraceful. It's a sloppy error they did not invite him to begin with but for concierge to take that attitude is unacceptable. I'm sorry they did that to you, Jacqui. It's rude and insulting IMO

What level cabin were you in? I was thinking if they only invite some suite members, but not all, maybe they go by VIPs they just want to invite and Penthouse, then SA, then SB, then SC? If they leave people off, then probably SCs get scratched, then SBs. Mariner level probably comes into play too. We're in SB and 1st HAL cruise, so who knows lol

They would often invite someone with a great many HAL cruises or someone special to the company for one reason or another. There is no particular pattern or routine to it. It can vary widely.

I would think someone who is a 'true' VIP in real life would be invited. A famous author, a celebrity of some sort. :)

Don't know...... Just know it's a nice party.

lol Sail re VIP and Celebrity comment. I thought maybe I was invited because, despite never having cruised before, I organized the Meet and Greet for our cruise. Regardless, it was a nice little gathering and DH and I made sure that we shook the hands of all of the crew that were there, and had a little chat with the gentleman from the Front Office who had called several times to make sure the Meet and Greet went well (can't remember his name now, but did mention him by name on the comment card) and had some conversations with the officers because we wanted them to know just how much we were enjoying this first experience and how wonderful the crew and the ship were.

So I'll always wonder about the invitation, but it was nice to be invited, whatever the reason may have been.

;) I think you just found the 'reason'.

It would not be the first time I heard that the person who organzied the M&G was invited to the Captain's Cocktail Party.

Don't know for sure, of course, but there is a good chance that was the reason.

lol Sail re VIP and Celebrity comment. I thought maybe I was invited because, despite never having cruised before, I organized the Meet and Greet for our cruise. Regardless, it was a nice little gathering and DH and I made sure that we shook the hands of all of the crew that were there, and had a little chat with the gentleman from the Front Office who had called several times to make sure the Meet and Greet went well (can't remember his name now, but did mention him by name on the comment card) and had some conversations with the officers because we wanted them to know just how much we were enjoying this first experience and how wonderful the crew and the ship were.

So I'll always wonder about the invitation, but it was nice to be invited, whatever the reason may have been.

maybe that's why I got invited too - as I did the M & G - but they only invited me -

wow, my hubby was invited as well - hmmmm.

That must be why though - the Meet and Greet - one mystery solved lol.

Miss our ship - miss cruising and the staff and the veranda and it doesn't help that I'm an accountant and I'm surrounded by personal tax returns. Sigh.

Anyways, thanks Kazu and Sail for solving the mystery.

Kazu,

The fact they didn't invite your DH was an oversight. They would always invite the spouse and not purposely omit them. That makes the concierge's response to you even more ridiculous. He should have apologized and arranged another invitation was delivered to your cabin. Very unprofessional and no common sense.

IMO

Kazu,

The fact they didn't invite your DH was an oversight. They would always invite the spouse and not purposely omit them. That makes the concierge's response to you even more ridiculous. He should have apologized and arranged another invitation was delivered to your cabin. Very unprofessional and no common sense.

IMO

On Noordam DH got one for VIP party -- I didn't so we didn't go.

maybe that's why I got invited too - as I did the M & G - but they only invited me -

These "VIP" lists are getting terrible from ship to ship.

Noordam -- none.

Maasdam we got them.

KK....... Are you saying you were not invited to the cocktail party on Noordam?

I want to be sure I understand you properly.

I know you sometimes say you have the worst luck but that would be really over the top IMO

Hopefully I have misunderstood.

It doesn't seem possible they would omit a Platinum Medallion holder on purpose.

Kazu......

Talked to concierges on Noordam when we weren't invited to the Suite lunch -- they couldn't do anything about it.

Archived