Voyager of the Seas 3/10-17/2012 Spring Break Trip Report with Pictures

GSRDPM

About us:

TucanCozumelDock.jpg

This was the 7th cruise for my wife and me, the 6th for our kids – ages 16 and 13. This was our 4th cruise on Royal Caribbean - having cruised on Rhapsody, Independence and Serenade in the past. We have also enjoyed a cruise each on Carnival, Costa and Norwegian. We booked this vacation while on board the Serenade last spring break. While we enjoyed the many new ports on the Southern Caribbean itinerary, my wife and I found ourselves rather exhausted following the six destinations (including San Juan) in seven days coupled with the rather long days traveling to and from San Juan. I have a bad habit of trying to pack in as much as possible into a vacation – hoping not to miss anything. The number of ports on this trip compounded this problem exponentially. This year, in contrast, we were looking forward to avoiding air travel and the more relaxed pace with only three ports and three full days at sea. It would also be our first time sailing out of New Orleans. We chose to sail out of New Orleans primarily due to the Saturday to Saturday schedule instead of the Sunday to Sunday schedule of Mariner sailing out of the much closer Galveston. Since all of Texas seems to be on spring break the same week, the prices are also much lower sailing out of New Orleans (About ½ price for our connecting interior staterooms!) so that more than offset the cost of fuel, hotel and parking.

Pre Cruise details:

We set out about 11AM on Friday morning but did not arrive in New Orleans until around 8PM due to construction and congestion along I-10 and a brief lunch stop. Once we reached New Orleans, we enjoyed a quick dinner at Ralph and Kacoo’s. After dinner we walked to Café Du Monde for some Beignets before we drove to our hotel.

We booked a room with two double beds at the Super 8 New Orleans. ($65.12 total for our single night) The hotel gets pretty good reviews on Tripadvisor but seems to take a lot of criticism on these boards as it is said to be located in a less desirable neighborhood. However, it was only about a 10 minute drive to the port or to the French Quarter. When we arrived, we pulled up to the lobby and I walked in and immediately got my key card and was instructed to drive through an arch in the façade of the building into the back parking lot. The hotel is actually elevated and the cars park underneath the building. We pulled out all our bags and took the elevator up to our room. The “hallways” are not enclosed but are covered. The rooms were simple with no enclosed closets (just a clothing rod), a TV, two chairs and two double (not queen) beds. The sink was outside the bathroom which had a tub and toilet. There was free Wi-Fi which was plenty fast and reliable. During the evening we did hear a fair amount of drunken, loud people walk by the room, but we were tired enough from our day of driving that sleeping was not a problem. The next morning, we got up and enjoyed a nice, free breakfast of waffles, danishes, cereal, bagels and juice and milk before heading to the port. I will say that the desk personnel I interacted with during our stay were VERY pleasant and during breakfast I noticed that many of the other guests were families going onto either the Elation or Voyager. I would not hesitate to recommend this property for an inexpensive room as long as you have your own means of transportation. I believe they have some type of shuttle service and even an option for leaving our car there for the week during your cruise, but we did not look into this.

Embarkation:

Our goal was to arrive at the port at roughly 10:45AM. We decided to use the port’s parking lot (Whale lot) as I did not want to use any type of shuttle this time around. In spite of all my research, though, I botched the approach to the lot and expected to enter the lot at Julia Street not realizing that you actually enter through Henderson Street in order to drop your bags off at the porters before proceeding to the Whale lot. Once I corrected that it was easy. We dropped off our large bags with the porters and entered the whale lot, paying by credit card ($16 per day). We parked along the fence line just about 100 yards from the entrance to the terminal. It was an easy walk with our carry-ons.

Once in the terminal it was quick walk through security. (We had a 12 pack of Diet Dr Peppers in one carry-on and had no problem bringing them on board) They were selling soda packages in the terminal and were handing out the insulated cups that go with the package to those who were purchasing them. When we asked if they could get the ”cups” as we had already purchased the packages online, we were informed that they would be already placed in our staterooms. We checked in, received our sea passes and were on board and in the Windjammer having lunch by 12 Noon! Even better, by 1PM when we were told we could go to our staterooms, ALL OF OUR BAGS WERE ALREADY DELIVERED AND SITTING OUTSIDE OUR STATEROOMS.

Cabins:

We were in Cabins 9637 and 9639 on the port side just aft of the concierge club and hump cabins. These connecting cabins were perfect for us. They were only 2 decks down from the windjammer and pool and were still quite walkable to the sports deck or promenade. Being the first interior cabins you come to aft of the elevators, they were easy to find quickly and having a deck between us and the windjammer above meant no scraping of chairs across the floor to interfere with our sleep. I have struggled with the decision to get the two connecting rooms vs. an aft balcony or even a Jr Suite (We had a suite on the Costa Atlantica 2 years ago and loved it), but we found that we really benefit from the two bathrooms and additional storage that comes with having two staterooms.

The cabins were a little smaller than those on the Serenade and the connecting door between the staterooms meant the usual loveseat was replaced by a single chair. The small glass table was in the way as it took up precious floor space and the other room did not have one and felt more spacious. Another minor annoyance was that the connecting door between our rooms was locked and it was not until later that evening that someone would come by and unlock it for us. FYI – you have to leave it unlocked or locked – There is no means to do this yourself. We asked for an ice bucket which our cabin attendant kept replenished for the duration of the cruise. I managed to squeeze about 3 total of the diet Dr. Peppers into the mini-fridges.

I will switch the format of the review to different areas of the experience.

The Ship:

Voyager.jpg

Tendering into Grand Cayman

Voyager went into service in 1999 and is aging very well. I know she is about to have some refurbishing in preparation for her move to Asia later this year. Still, I am hard pressed to point out any significant faults. In spite of her size, she is very easy to navigate. The quickest route to travel fore and aft is via the Royal Promenade on deck 5 or when a show is letting out from the La Scala Theatre, via the outside promenades on deck 4 were the lifeboats are loaded. These are also were you find the shuffleboard courts and how one gets to the helipad forward – great vantage for sailaways from ports and for stargazing at night. One area that everyone would tend to agree is a challenge is the door that leads from the elevators onto the sports deck on deck 13. It is insanely difficult to open. A person with virtually any type of physical disability would not be able to manage it unassisted. Thankfully, it is a very busy part of the ship so someone is always there to help.

VoyagerPromenadeempty.jpg

Relatively deserted Royal Promenade in the morning

VoyagerPromenadeNightFlash.jpg

Busy Royal Promenade on a formal night

VoyagerPromenadeNightCafe.jpg

Royal Promenade looking aft at night

Deck space:

I have to say that in spite of the three days at sea, I never did spend any time around the pools or lounging around. As far as I could tell, there were always some chairs open, though those that were unoccupied were at risk for sliding or flipping due to the strong winds that were prevalent during the first two or three days of our cruise (relative wind speeds of 45-50 MPH!) As I traveled through the deck chairs, everyone seemed to be enjoying the sun, pool, belly flop contests (2nd place to a woman!!!) and Lady Gaga line dancing, etc…For a quieter, more relaxing experience, choose the solarium with its cushioned, comfy chairs or chaises or seek out the more or less deserted deck 4 chaises under the lifeboats.

Voyagerpooldeck.jpg

The pool area on a sea day

Voyagerpoolempty.jpg

Deserted pool deck prior to arriving in Grand Cayman

VoyagerNightPool.jpg

Pool deck at night

Activities:

As I mentioned above, we were traveling with our 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter. While we know our days are numbered, our son still likes to hang with us and I wanted to enjoy this time together as long as I can. Therefore, during the sea days we spent our time rock climbing, in-line skating, as well as playing table tennis (challenging with the winds), mini-golf and shuffleboard. He did not participate formally with the teen program, though he did participate in the table tennis and dodge ball tournaments. After the ice rink opened up to the public – day 6, we did that as well. We finished first in a scavenger hunt, though we were less successful at various trivia competitions. Between the sports deck activities and various trivia and dancing activities, there was no shortage of things to do. I do have to admit, that I did not succeed at making time to relax onboard. One exception was that my wife son and I did enjoy watching a couple of movies on board. (in the big comfy chairs of the screening room - forward on deck 2)

My son and I enjoyed stretching out on the deck of the helipad at 11PM in order to appreciate the clear starry night. Breathtaking when the lights of land, cities and civilization are so far away…..

VoyagerVolleyball.jpg

Volleyball on the Sports Deck

Voyagerrockclimbing.jpg

Rock Climbing

Voyagerinlineskating.jpg

Inline Skating

Athletic Facilities:

Although we did not use them, I visited the athletic facilities, I did visit them and they appeared to be extensive with many passengers using them.

VoyagerIcerink.jpg

Ice skating

Dining:

We prefer to eat in the main dining room for all meals as we find that we will generally make more healthy choices and generally prefer the environment. Also, since we like to eat as a family (at a table of four) for dinner each night, eating in the dining room for breakfast and lunch gives us the opportunity to enjoy the company of others. We chose to eat in the Windjammer only for lunch on embarkation day as well as after the morning on Grand Cayman and for breakfast on those early port mornings when we needed to be off the ship early.

Our favorite station in the Windjammer was the create your own pasta dish station all the way aft and center. Dinner in the main dining room was always an exceptional experience. The room is beautiful and most definitely, GRAND. My entire family counted no misses the entire week. Every dinner meal was a hit. Service was excellent and our waiter, Samsuri was always very kind and attentive. Once our meals were completed he would chat with us for a while taking with us about his home and past and future experiences and plans. When we were undecided about dessert choices, he would always remind us that all the desserts for the duration of the cruise had absolutely no calories and would encourage us to try anything and everything. Almost without exception, I took his recommendations for the meals and as I mentioned above, everything was wonderful.

VoyagerDR.jpg

The view from our table on Deck 4

VoyagerCaptaintable.jpg

Captain Frank dining on the second formal night

VoyagerFamilyDR.jpg

We enjoy dresing up on formal nights

VoyagerJVsunset.jpg

Pretty Sunset with the kids

Entertainment:

Compared to our prior cruise on the Serenade where my wife and I spent many a night in the Schooner Bar laughing it up at Matt Yee’s Shenanigans, this time, on Voyager, we spent every evening in the La Scala Theatre.

Saturday evening was the welcome aboard show with headliner comedian Saleem Muhammed. (We enjoyed his show and had the pleasure of bumping into him several times until he disembarked on Jamaica. All these times he was very friendly and engaging.) Sunday was the production show with a tribute to Music in Pictures and we found the dancing and singing to be of very high quality. The same could be said for Thursday’s production show Broadway Rhythm and Rhyme. Kenny James on Monday blew me away. His show was probably the most high energy one man singing act I have ever seen on board a ship. The man had endless energy and enthusiasm! Tuesday’s ice show – Ice Odyssey was amazing – it is incredible what these performers accomplish on such as small rink. Wednesday was the singer impressionist Paul Boland who was kind enough to pose (with Kermit the Frog) for pictures with passengers as they left the theatre. My son, who enjoyed all the shows with us, commented that he did not know most of the songs that Paul sang…..yeah we are getting old….Finally, Friday night’s Farewell Showtime headlined Comedy-Juggler Paul DiMuzio who thrilled us with flying balls, rings, clubs, knives and garden tools while making us laugh at the same time.

VoyagerKennyJames.jpg

Kenny James

VoyagerPaulBoland.jpg

Paul Boland and Kermit

My wife and I also enjoyed the “Meet the Stars: Q&A with Members of the Production and Ice Casts” in the Schooner bar where a small group of us were able to meet and converse with one of the singers and three of dancers for about a half hour or so. We learned about how they are hired/cast, what their schedules and living arrangements are, what brought them to the cruise ship entertainment industry and what their future plans are. It was very interesting to learn that they have a pretty relaxed schedule compared to others who work on the ship. Once they learn their routines, they only practice the day of their production shoes and fill in other time with working spots for the ice shows, acting in the Portofino Murder Mystery Dinners and dancing in the on board parades/shows. One of them makes some extra money working in one of the gift shops. All of them enjoy what they do and a major draw for them to this business was a love a performing coupled with the desire to see the world.

My wife and I participated in The Quest for the first time, though we could not stay for the entire competition as we had to meet our kids back at the cabin before the event was over. I liked Studio B as a venue for this as it gives everyone a great view of the activities and by design permits everyone to participate. On Serenade the Quest was in one of the lounges and it was hard to see what was going on and teams were spread amongst non-participants. Anyway it was great fun, though I was surprised at the number of young children (10 years old and under) that were brought in.

BTW, our cruise director was Keith Williams. I found him to be professional, approachable and appreciated that he took time to attend our CC Meet and Mingle on Sunday – our first sea day. I have been on two Meet and Mingles (Independence and Serenade) where the cruise director did not personally attend the M&M. He posed for pictures on the pier with our kids as we returned from our day in Cozumel and chatted with us and a few other passengers after the “Captain’s Corner” Q&A on the last sea day. He was forever present during the entire cruise and I found his “Morning Show with Keith and Chris” (on the TV) informative and entertaining.

VoyagerKeith.jpg

Keith Williams, our CD

VoyagerCaptainFrank.jpg

Captain Frank

Kids Program:

My 16 year-old son did not formally participate in any of the teen activities and chose to spend most of his time with us this trip. My daughter, on the other hand, was totally engaged in the 12-14 age group activities and during sea days we only saw her for breakfast and dinner. She enjoyed the volleyball, dodge ball and air hockey competitions as well as dancing, karaoke and teen Quest with her peers. I know she enjoyed the freedom of roaming about the ship and being able to hang out with her new friends.

Ports of Call/Excursions:

Jamaica

After three nights and two full days at sea we arrived Tuesday morning at Falmouth in Jamaica. After a quick breakfast in the Windjammer we began to make our way down to deck 1 and the gangway at about 8:55AM. Using the stairs, we came to a halt at deck 5. About 30 minutes later, we finally made it off the ship. The port area is very clean and pretty, but we did not stick around to visit the shops as we had a reservation with Marva Shaw from Knowjamaicatours.

Marva gets great reviews from both here and tripadvisor although I want to share some important information about her company that is not always apparent when you read the reviews. Most of the reviews posted mentioned that either she or her son Javia were the reviewer’s guide. Since the tours out of Falmouth are only arranged as private tours – meaning you get to choose where you go and for how long - The tour is customized to your wants and desires and you have your guide for the entire day. Your flat fee ($180 for 4 or $45 PP for over 4) covers your guide and all transportation regardless of where you go. Fees to attractions (we did Dunn’s River Falls ($20PP) and White River tubing ($25PP) are additional.

Another cruise critic member had contacted Marva prior to our request and was looking to share their tour with another family. Unfortunately, their plans/desires differed from ours so we decided not to join them. Eventually I asked permission from the other member if I could book with Marva if they had not been able to find someone else to tour with and they gave us permission to “take” the tour. In the end, this was not necessary as I now know that Marva apparently contracts with other drivers/guides and runs several private tours at a time.

When we arrived at Falmouth I called Marva’s cell number and she directed me to Javia, her son who was in the parking lot, setting up people who booked with them to go with certain drivers. Depending on the size of your group, you were sent with a driver of a car, van or bus. He told us that Marva would meet us during the day to say “Hi” and check in with us. He introduced us to our driver and guide, Grace or as he said, “Amazing Grace” in the end we were very pleased with our guide and Grace was very informative, charming and engaging, especially with the kids. She discussed the history of Jamaica, pointed out various resorts and gave us all a course on how to speak like a Jamaican. During the drive back to the ship, she and our daughter sang songs together. She explained how each of our stops would work and where and how we would meet her after we were done.

JAmazingGrace.jpg

Amazing Grace our driver and guide for the day

When we arrived at Dunn’s River falls, she walked us to the ticket area and helped us with our bracelets (for admission). She showed us where we would meet our tour guide (they take you through the falls). The guides are very upbeat and lead you in cheers to get you excited and another person travels with the guide taking video of the group, offering to sell you a DVD at the end of your climb. We declined as I had a Kodak Play sport waterproof pocket camcorder (highly recommended BTW) and took my own video. Still, it looked like their video should have had some nice footage as he was shooting a lot. We held hands during the climb and while everyone arrived safely at the top, it was VERY crowded and the various guides had their hands full keeping their groups together. At times it seemed like we were all competing for the same paths up the falls and some of the guides would get impatient with the progress or lack thereof of each other’s groups. Our group had over 20 people in it and while we all arrived safely at the end there was no way that he could personally tend to the safety of all the climbers. In the end, the climbers, themselves, have to personally look after and assist one another to a certain degree. Still, it was an enjoyable experience and we were glad we chose to make the stop here (My wife and I had been here before, but it was the first time for the kids). We tipped the guide and made our way to the parking lot.

JDRFCrowds.jpg

Crowds that morning

JDRFfamily.jpg

Posing for a picture

JDRFJVunderfalls.jpg

Getting wet

Tip RE shoes for climbing: You need a grippy sole and TOE PROTECTION. They rent shoes at the falls but we had our own. My son and I had Tevas, my daughter Speedo Zipwalkers and my wife a pair of water shoes from Lands End. All had toe protection though my wife’s shoes tended to trap the most pebbles and required frequent removal of the shoes to clear them out. With the Tevas I could shake my feet in the running water from the falls and clear the rocks out easily without removing the sandals and my daughter did not have any problems with the snugger fitting Speedos.

Marva was waiting in the van with Grace when we returned after our climb. (We did pass through the shops on our way to the parking lot and while approached by people a quick but polite “No thank you” without stopping was all that was needed and we had no problems passing through.) Marva said hello asked if we were satisfied with how the tour was going and we said that Grace was wonderful and we were having a great time. She thanked us for our business.

A short ride later and by about 12:30 we had arrived at the white river for some tubing. We paid and were given our tubes (Large black tubes with a bottom tied to ropes around the tube) and we made our way down to the river where we met our guide. In contrast to the packed falls, this experience was totally different. From start to finish, we never saw anyone else on the river with the exception a person that took pictures at a half way point where we stopped so we could swing on a swing over the river and walk around a bit. They let us see the pictures and offered to sell us waterproof prints for $6 each. A polite no thank you and we were off again. (Again, the joy of having your own waterproof camera/camcorder…) While tubing, the guide would sing and work to keep our linked tubes off the rocks and away from the river banks so that we would progress safely through the mild rapids. The water was crystal clear but a little cool. (BTW, we found that sunscreen was not so necessary at both the falls and the White River as these areas were generally pretty well shaded.) Our trip down the river lasted only about 30-40 minutes. It was a very nice experience and very peaceful but struck me as being a bit expensive for the time it took. Still, my daughter and wife enjoyed it more than the falls.

JWhiterivertubing.jpg

Tubing the White River

JWhiterivertubingJV.jpg

Nobody in sight

JWhiteriverswing.jpg

Stopping for a break on the swing

We met Grace back at the van and after asking for our preferences she took us to Ocho Rios Village Jerk Center for lunch. Two combination plates of jerk chicken, pork, and ribs, with a side of French fries and sweet potatoes and 4 soft drinks set us back $41 US. It was very good. Grace offered to take us shopping if we wished, but we chose to return back to the ship. We thanked and paid her for a very enjoyable day.

In summary, I would not hesitate to use Marva Shaw’s company as long as you understand that you are not guaranteed a specific guide. Marva is very responsive to emails and she gives you her cell phone number should you have any concerns at any point prior to or during your visit. We never felt unsafe at any time during our day in Jamaica and prior bad experiences with vendors during prior visits to this island did not materialize this time around.

JFalmouthDock.jpg

Back at Falmouth

Grand Cayman

High winds over the prior 4 days had us skeptical that we would make this port. This would be our third attempt to make it back to Grand Cayman since my wife and spent a week there in 2001. Since then high winds and Hurricane Emily cancelled both a cruise stop and a land based vacation. Not this time, though…

Another cruise critic member (Shout-out to interlinediva) was kind enough to invite us to join her on Captain Dexter’s Fantasea Tours sail to Stingray Sandbar and some snorkeling. (My wife and I sailed with Dexter on his older, smaller boat back in 2001.) Since this half day sail was scheduled to start at 8:30 (ending at 12 noon), we got up early and made it off on the first tender with no problems.

CGTendering.jpg

First tender off the ship

Dexter’s tours include transportation to and from the port or beach with his $40 fee and he met our group personally at the port and we were off to the dock and boarded his catamaran (actually a trimaran since it has three hulls). Dexter and his first mate gets into the water and helps everyone handle, kiss and feed the rays at the sandbars. Every one of the 20+ people on board had a chance to interact with them. After our time with the stingrays, we stopped at the coral gardens for some snorkeling before sailing back to the dock. There are some simple drinks included with the excursion and Captain Dexter keeps everyone entertained with stories and jokes.

GCVwithRay.jpg

My daughter holding a ray

GCJRayKiss.jpg

My son kissing a ray

GCDextersboat.jpg

Captain Dexter's Trimaran

GCDexterDeck.jpg

Thanks to Interlinediva and her family for sharing their charter with us!!!!

I feel that this excursion is one tremendous bargain considering what you get for your money. The boat is nice. Stingray sandbar is a rare, unique experience. Captain Dexter is an entertaining character of a guy. The excursion lasts 3 ½ hours and includes transportation to and from the ship! We especially enjoyed getting to know our new friends during this excursion since interlinediva and I live in the same hometown. Thanks again, Heather!!!

Cozumel

As soon as we booked this cruise a year ago, I contacted Karen at Cozumelsailing and booked the Tucan Sailing Adventure. We did this excursion off the Independence of the Seas three years ago and to this date; it remains our family’s favorite excursion. Why? It is a full 6 hours and they pamper you the whole way. The Tucan is a relatively spartan trimaran. There are nicer boats (Calabaza in Barbados stands out), smaller numbers of passengers (Independence on St Thomas was very personal with six aboard.), but the Tucan keeps numbers down to 16 and under (we had 13) and there isn’t anything your three crew members will not do to see that you are enjoying your 6 hours with them. We started our day with a $15 ride to the marina where we met the owner Dan and paid our $90PP and were introduced to our crew for the day. We were joined by two cruise critic members Tennesseeteachers Darrell and Tracy.

We started off by sailing (and tacking) north towards Passion Island. The winds were a little high and as we would make our way further offshore, the ride would get a little exciting as we would take some breaking waves across the bow, soaking some of us. Captain Juan and the crew would keep the margaritas, daiquiris, pina coladas, beers, sodas and water coming to all those who requested them. While were sailing, two lines were put out to fish for lunch while they prepared some “boatmade” pico de gallo and dip. Coals were put out on the BarBQ. Unfortunately, the fish were not biting during our trip, though the guys were prepared if the sea would not cooperate for lunch as we would enjoy a delicious feast of steak fajitas, wings, beans and pasta salad after snorkeling.

TucanTennesseeHT.jpg

Tennesseeteachers in the Mexican Jacuzzi before the rough ride

Tucanwaves.jpg

Getting wet

Once we reached the waters off Passion Island, we anchored for some snorkeling. One of the crew was in the water with us should we need any help and while the snorkeling was not great, the winds were just right for some Spinnaker rides. The spinnaker is a broad, balloon like sail that is used only when the boat sails with the wind. In this case, they attach a swing like seat to the bottom of it and it can lift you up like a small parasail if you do it right. The lighter in our group (IE the kids…..) were able to do it while those of us with a little more…life experience had a harder time getting aloft. Still, my kids had a blast and I got some great pictures and video. The crew took some of our group to a small undeveloped part of beach on Passion Island (just north of the resort) via the Tucan’s Dinghy while the rest of us stayed aboard to relax in the sun. We motored back to the marina where Dan had taxis waiting for us to take us back to the pier.

TucanSpinnakerVhorizontal.jpg

Spinnaker ride done right

TucanSpinnakerJ.jpg

Our son's turn

TucanSpinnakerT.jpg

Maybe I should have kept it to one dessert each night...

TucanBarBQ.jpg

Lunch being prepared

TucanDinghy.jpg

Heading off to the beach

TucanBeach.jpg

Exploring the beach on Passion Island

TucanTennessee.jpg

Snorkeling

Once again, we had a wonderful time on the Tucan and my wife says I should never look into any other excursion whenever we are in Cozumel. Karen at Cozumel sailing is excellent with correspondence and the crew and owners know how to work with the cruise ships schedules. Both times, their goal was to get us back to the dock by 3PM and both times, that was just what they did – almost to the minute. They make it a point to leave the details to them so you can relax and enjoy the day. They deliver!!!

Tucandeck.jpg

The deck of the Tucan

Tucan.jpg

The Tucan

VoyagerSunset.jpg

Debarkation:

Once again, all good things must come to an end remained awake the last night aboard Voyager long enough to witness the ship entering the Mississippi river. One can appreciate why Captain Frank would not be out and about the final night as he was needed on the bridge as the ship navigated the many twists and turns in the narrow river channel. It was a different experience and I only wish I could have seen more of it during daylight hours. We went to bed feeling the gentle rocking of the ship as it snaked its way up the river, stabilizers retracted. We awoke docked at the port in New Orleans, enjoyed our last breakfast in the main dining room, poked our heads into some of the larger suites as they were in the process of being cleaned, grabbed our bags and disembarked at about 10AM as there was a delay in the terminal. I paused as he handed over my sea pass and heard that last ‘ping” and stepped reluctantly onto the gangway. A few minutes later we collected our luggage in the terminal and walked into the whale lot where we loaded up the minivan and hit the road for home.

Voyagerclouds.jpg

Final thoughts:

I always to consider what made a particular cruise special. For our week on the Voyager I am concluding that this cruise is special as it finds me examining the direction our family is heading rather than what was special about the trip. In some ways my wife and I felt that our daughter was only with us on vacation part time. She was with us during the ports but on board the ship, she obviously preferred the company of her peers. I know this is a natural progression – a part of growing up and becoming more independent. Still, I wonder how my wife and I will handle this growing need for independence in the future. On the other hand, our (older) son still preferred to spend time with us. I know our time with him before he goes off to college in under three years, is clearly limited and I know we need to cherish every moment now. I was grateful for the time I got to spend this week with him even though I did not get to relax as much as I had hoped. We were unable to book another cruise while onboard due to possible college visits during the next year but we did make a Next Cruise confirmation as we only need 3 additional points to make Platinum.

As for the Voyager, I believe that the larger ships such as the Voyager and Freedom Classes are better suited to our family’s needs and that the smaller Radiance class ships will probably be appreciated more when my wife and I are empty nesters. Right now the amenities and activities offered by the larger ships are a plus. I would conclude that the dining room meals and large (production and headliner) shows were the best we have experienced at sea. Driving to port was nice, though it does encourage you to pack more “stuff” as you don’t have to worry about baggage allowances. It is nearly 11:30 on Sunday and we are still doing laundry, having run the machines nearly non-stop since we returned home yesterday. Tomorrow it’s back to work and school. Yet, the sea still calls….

VoyagerHeart.jpg

We leave next saturday so your review was right on time!!!! I was wondering if you saved your compasses as you were on the first cruise that did the sea days first. Were most of the pool activities and parades on sunday? I also heard there is a BBQ at night by the pool. Do you remeber what night this was held? Thanks in advance......TAZ

What a great review - with great photos!

I know what you mean about the kids...we're cruising this summer, and my two youngest kids (DS19 and DD12) will be with us...I know that it will be interesting to see just how much time they want to spend with the boring parents. :(

I know you mentioned the winds were really high, how bad was the ship rocking and rolling? We'll be sailing in a couple weeks and am getting nervous about seasickness based off reviews I see with all these high winds.

I know you mentioned the winds were really high, how bad was the ship rocking and rolling? We'll be sailing in a couple weeks and am getting nervous about seasickness based off reviews I see with all these high winds.

Don't worry. While it was windy, the rocking and rolling was minimal while at sea. Our cabins were on deck nine, though, near the middle of the ship. You usually feel motion most towards both ends of the ship, especially the bow as well as high up. It was never an issue for any of us and not once did I ever stumble or have to check my balance while standing or walking.

BTW, relative winds take into account the motion of the ship. For example. If the ship is moving forward at 20 knots and the wind is traveling 30 knots towards the ship head on, the relative wind is the sum of the two or 50 knots.

The rolling we felt on the last night was due to the ship having to run without stabilizers deployed. These wing-like projections extend underwater from the sides of the hull and function to resist upward, downward and rolling motion. They work really well.

Archived