Voyager of the Seas 3/10-17/2012 Spring Break Trip Report with Pictures

GSRDPM

VoyagerSunset.jpg

Debarkation:

Once again, all good things must come to an end remained awake the last night aboard Voyager long enough to witness the ship entering the Mississippi river. One can appreciate why Captain Frank would not be out and about the final night as he was needed on the bridge as the ship navigated the many twists and turns in the narrow river channel. It was a different experience and I only wish I could have seen more of it during daylight hours. We went to bed feeling the gentle rocking of the ship as it snaked its way up the river, stabilizers retracted. We awoke docked at the port in New Orleans, enjoyed our last breakfast in the main dining room, poked our heads into some of the larger suites as they were in the process of being cleaned, grabbed our bags and disembarked at about 10AM as there was a delay in the terminal. I paused as he handed over my sea pass and heard that last ‘ping” and stepped reluctantly onto the gangway. A few minutes later we collected our luggage in the terminal and walked into the whale lot where we loaded up the minivan and hit the road for home.

Voyagerclouds.jpg

Final thoughts:

I always to consider what made a particular cruise special. For our week on the Voyager I am concluding that this cruise is special as it finds me examining the direction our family is heading rather than what was special about the trip. In some ways my wife and I felt that our daughter was only with us on vacation part time. She was with us during the ports but on board the ship, she obviously preferred the company of her peers. I know this is a natural progression – a part of growing up and becoming more independent. Still, I wonder how my wife and I will handle this growing need for independence in the future. On the other hand, our (older) son still preferred to spend time with us. I know our time with him before he goes off to college in under three years, is clearly limited and I know we need to cherish every moment now. I was grateful for the time I got to spend this week with him even though I did not get to relax as much as I had hoped. We were unable to book another cruise while onboard due to possible college visits during the next year but we did make a Next Cruise confirmation as we only need 3 additional points to make Platinum.

As for the Voyager, I believe that the larger ships such as the Voyager and Freedom Classes are better suited to our family’s needs and that the smaller Radiance class ships will probably be appreciated more when my wife and I are empty nesters. Right now the amenities and activities offered by the larger ships are a plus. I would conclude that the dining room meals and large (production and headliner) shows were the best we have experienced at sea. Driving to port was nice, though it does encourage you to pack more “stuff” as you don’t have to worry about baggage allowances. It is nearly 11:30 on Sunday and we are still doing laundry, having run the machines nearly non-stop since we returned home yesterday. Tomorrow it’s back to work and school. Yet, the sea still calls….

VoyagerHeart.jpg

Fantastic review.....K.O. near Philly:)

Great review! We are embarking on VOS next Friday for our spring break with our almost-16 year old son and almost-13 year old daughter, so it was fun reading about your experiences. Like you, I'm guessing we may lose the girl for the better part of the day, but the boy will hang with us. And like you said, it is oh so apparent that our days are numbered, so we'd better cherish them now (cue 'Sunrise, Sunset' mood music....). Realizing this may well be the last spring break that isn't driven by college planning was the impetus for us to book this cruise ... it will be the the kids' first.

Now a question .... You mention that you were able to get onto the first tender in Grand Cayman even though you hadn't booked an excursion through the ship. Any tips for accomplishing that? I'm nervous about the timing in Grand Cayman; we arrive at 10:00, and our self-booked stingray city tour leaves at 11:15 (ship and island time are the same now). I'd like to position ourselves to be on the first tender or two. How did you manage it?

Thanks!

Sondra

Great review! We are embarking on VOS next Friday for our spring break with our almost-16 year old son and almost-13 year old daughter, so it was fun reading about your experiences. Like you, I'm guessing we may lose the girl for the better part of the day, but the boy will hang with us. And like you said, it is oh so apparent that our days are numbered, so we'd better cherish them now (cue 'Sunrise, Sunset' mood music....). Realizing this may well be the last spring break that isn't driven by college planning was the impetus for us to book this cruise ... it will be the the kids' first.

Now a question .... You mention that you were able to get onto the first tender in Grand Cayman even though you hadn't booked an excursion through the ship. Any tips for accomplishing that? I'm nervous about the timing in Grand Cayman; we arrive at 10:00, and our self-booked stingray city tour leaves at 11:15 (ship and island time are the same now). I'd like to position ourselves to be on the first tender or two. How did you manage it?

Thanks!

Sondra

Basically, we jsut got down there early. We were scheduled to arrive in GC at 7AM. We woke up early, waited for the windjammer to open at 6AM and had a quick breakfast. We stopped by the cabin , used the restroom and grabbed our towels (switched out for new ones the evening before) and took the elvator down to deck 1 at about 6:50. Personel from the cruise director's staff were supprised to see us and asked us to go up to a deck to wait. We took the stairs up and in a few minutes were on the first tender. For whatever reason, there wasn't a big crowd waiting for the first tender. Nobody checked if we had any special pass for an early tender. I know that we did not seem to be full when we left. It may be a little trickier for you as you will be arriving later. More people will be awake and eager to leave the ship whereas the windjammer was pretty that early.

You may want to post the question asking about early tender strategies for a 10 AM arrival. I did not do a search, it may be out there already...)

your trip and photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to get onboard this ship for my first ever cruise shortly :)

Kylie

Enjoy, It should be even better when you sail as the days will be longer and you will see more of the Mississippi when leaving NO.

Hi Tom.

Great review and lovely photos. As the 'other druise critic member' who was thinking of taking an excursion with Marva in Jamaica, I was glad you had a good day (I know your wife was a bit nervous about Jamaica, but not to get out and experience a little of the island seems such a pity to me).

We also had a great day. We used Wentworth (www.wentworthtours.com). He himself was our guide and driver and we had a 24-seater bus for the 4 of us. He is such a nice guy and so obliging. We did the river-tubing too - loved that. Then drove through Fern Gully to the Coyaba Gardens and Mahoe Falls - stunning and we had the place virtually to ourselves. We had a lunch stop at Scotchies to see them make jerk chicken and eat al fresco. Also a stop for shopping and also at Discovery Point where Columbus first landed in Jamaica. So it was maybe a bit tamer than your day but suited us oldies fine, so all were happy. BTw, if anyone is looking for a guide, I would really recommend Wentworth. He comes in a little bit cheaper than Marva and he could not have given better service.

Tom - it was nice to speak to you and your wife at the CC meeting. It was a great cruise. We also enjoyed a week in New Orleans and a few days in Cajun country after the cruise, so not long back in Scotland.

Now I need to start thinking where to cruise next!!!

It was nice meeting you as well. I'm glad you day in Jamaica worked out well. I wish we were able to spend some extra time in New Orleans. but we had to get back home so the kids could be ready to return to school. Oh well - It gives us a reason to go back!

Thank you so much for your delightful and heartwarming review. We have traveled as a family with our two daughters since they were very young. We all went on our first cruise in 2001, when they were 9 and 11, and have been hooked on cruising ever since. Now they're adults (21 and 23) and living on their own. However, they still insist on a family vacation whenever possible. We're all very excited about our 6/21 cruise on Explorer. Enjoy your beautiful family.

Great review and pics! Can you tell me where Dexter met you at the port? How did you find him and where. We are confirmed - but I can't find information on where we will meet him at.

Thank you!

Since we were fortunate to be welcomed to join another family who had already booked the excusion as a private tour, I did not correspond with Captain Dexter personally. He was already speaking to the head of the group when I first saw him. I would contact him for details on how and where to meet. I know that his van was parked in a parking lot adjacent to the port.

Tom,

Thanks for the pics. If you cruise and want to do an excursions again let me know ddloydwright@bellsouth.net We had a great time with you and your family.

We are headed to Alaska in June

Darrell and Tracy Duncan

Hey guys. It was great spending the day with you. Enjoy Alaska. Unfortunately we don't have any cruise plans as most vacation days next year will likely be filled with college visits.

• 6 months later...

Archived