COLLEGE FJORD question about "port time"; confused

azguy

Hello all,

It is my understanding that you don't really dock at Glacier Bay and College Fjord, that you spend time just checking out the scenery from the ship.

In looking at the documents sent to me by Princess, it reads that:

We arrive at College Fjord at 6:00am, "board" at 8:30am and depart at 9:00am.

The next day is on to Glacier Bay.

This doesn't seem like a lot of time at College Fjord. Am I just misunderstanding this and we'll actually be cruising and seeing scenery the entire time? Or, is there not enough to sit in one spot and see for that long?

Thanks.

The ship departs Whitter usually in the evening. You are already in Prince William Sound, where College Fjord is located. The ship only has to travel a few miles to get from Whitter it College Fjord. I assume that they mean that they will enter College Fjord at 6 am and be "at the glaciers" at 830am and remain there until around 9am. It is a long haul across the Gulf to Glacier Bay and they have to be there by around 10am the next morning. There are no docks or ports in either place, so you do not disembark. I can only think that the reference to "boarding" is a typo.

see map of PWS http://www.pwsrcac.org/resources/pwsdetail.html

Beware - many people miss College Fiords because they are exhausted from the night before and sleep in - make sure this doesn't happen to you.

Also - the scenary before you see the main glaciers at College Fiords is spectacular! Make sure you are outside for several hours that morning before you get to Harvard and Yale glacier.

In looking at the documents sent to me by Princess, it reads that:

We arrive at College Fjord at 6:00am, "board" at 8:30am and depart at 9:00am.

The next day is on to Glacier Bay.

Just checked our Princess itinerary online and it shows "board" times for both College Fjord and Glacier Bay along with our other destinations. I think that this is just a standard re-board time, 30 minutes before scheduled departure even though it doesn't apply to the cruising destinations.

I can hear it now, ship announcement:

"Everyone who jumped on top of an iceberg MUST rope your way back onto the ship by 8:30 sharp."

3 hours at College Fjord will be fine, but yes, do get up early! No pub crawl the night before. :) (No, Carnival doesn't do a pub crawl in Alaska. Kidding.)

We saw a lot of otters in College Fjord. They looked like they were playing chicken with the ship. They'd lay there upside down until it got close, then dive, then come up ahead of the ship again. It was really cute. It was almost like they wanted to be the center of attention, not the glaciers!

Archived